• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search Function in Web Help

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2006 Jul 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used RoboHelp years ago and produced .chm files to deliver on CDs. Now I produce WebHelp (context sensitive, but also can be accessed from my "Welcome" page) that runs on an intranet. I thought I remembered the Search function as a field where you could type a word and it would return topics in which that word was located. Now it seems that it's just a listing of every word in the Help and the number of occurrences (from which you can click to view the topic). Is there any way to change this type of Search? Some of the "search" words that are presented are words that I don't want in the Search function. Can I delete words from Search? By the way, I searched this site for an answer to this question, but didn't see one right away. Thanks for help. Lisa in Roswell

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2006 Jul 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Search function is a field where you can type a word and it will return topics in which that word is located. So when you state that is what is WAS and then say "NOW it seems that it's just a listing of every word in the Help and the number of occurrences" I can't quite see the difference.

It is a listing of all the words in the help, that is pretty much what any search is although they do vary in their ability to deal with multiple words and so on.

RH has a default Stop list and you can add to that. Click File | Project Settings and then click the Advanced button. You will see a list of excluded words that you can add to. That is the approach rather than hacking the list produced when you generate the help.
Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2006 Jul 20, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lfhall,

Assuming you're using IE, it sounds like you haven't clicked the information bar above the help and allowed blocked content. When you do that, the search changes to show the search field that you want. I believe the search also appears as a list under some other browsers, but I can't tell you which ones.

Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lisa in Roswell,

Read your post a couple of times to try and work out what is going on. I'm going to throw in one other possibility.

When you generate the help file what Preferred Format select? You select the format on the third third 'Options Window' displayed when you generate a single source layout. If you select the format 'Pure HTML' you will indeed see the behavior that you have described. If this is the case, try selecting another format (e.g. DHTML > Pure HTML) and check the output.

Apologies if I've misinterpreted your problem
Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked. That was the problem. Thanks very much. Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, I should have said, Craig - your solution worked. Thanks. Lisa Text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2007 Nov 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I'm having the same problems as Lisa. I have tried changing the format ie DHTML > Pure HTML with no success.
To add to my problems, the search box to enter the search does not appear in the toolbar even though the Search Input Field in Toolbar check box is checked.
Can anyone help?
M@rg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 15, 2007 Nov 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Have you tried the option with applets included?

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp