25 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2010 1:48 PM by isepiq

Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP

VetteCouple

I am using Windows XP VR 5.1 with SP3. Flash Player does not function? So videos will not play that use Flash Player. The Adobe Support Site has been 000 Help because it is a free product. Microsoft says it is an Adobe problem. Finger pointing to the nth degree. I have loaded the latest version of Javascript and Flash Palyer.. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP
          MS_DaveH Level 1

Some troubleshooting for flash player:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

If you follow all the steps, this will usually lead to http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408620.html

The second link includes steps for developers and then steps for users (not sure why they didn't list the users section first). Skip to the users section and follow those steps.

This will fix many flash errors, however there are still some flash videos that are just broken. You should record the URL of the sites that cause your flash player to crash IE.

Here are my troubleshooting steps for Internet Explorer:

Internet Explorer 7 and 8 both include a "no add-ons mode" which is useful. My suggestion would be to attempt running in "no add-ons mode" and notice whether or not the speed improves. If so, open IE as normal, click tools and then click manage add-ons. Disable Add-ons you don't recognize and don't need or use. I personally don't use search toolbars b/c I can easily type in bing.com and then search. This is usually faster than running a bunch of add-ons anyway. After disabling the add-ons you don't recognize/want/use, look for the column that depicts load time. Anything that takes a long time to load is slowing down your browser, disable it if you can live without it. Finally, any add-ons that you chose not to disable should be updated if available. Check the site that belongs to the vendor listed in the Publisher column of the toolbar for instructions on how to update their product. Many updates require or work better if you uninstall the old version of the product first.

If you still experience crashes and slow loading, you should consider resetting IE. After resetting IE, notice the change in speed. You can then start to install the add-ons you want, but if it slows down again, you should disable the culprit that you just installed.

This is just me personally, but I prefer to run with minimal add-ons. After resetting IE, all i re-install is the latest version of my Firewall/AV suite's browser protection, which truthfully, isn't necessary, but I've not had problems with it. I then start adding back things like the latest version of Flash and Java. With this lean setup, I rarely crash, and when I do, I know it is time to reset and install the latest versions again.

David

-

I work at Microsoft. These are my opinions and not necessarily my employers.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• 2. Re: Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP
            eidnolb onlyone Level 5

Hi VetteCouple, The first thing would be is to go to the Adobe test site here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about  This will confirm if FP is installed and what version. It is always best to know for sure what the problem is before we try to offer various solutions.

If it is confirmed that you have the latest vs of FP installed (vs. 10.0.42.34) then go to Tools>Manage add ons and check all sections and look for Shockwave Flash Object...ActiveX Control.... Flash10d.ocx and ensure that it is Enabled.

Go to Add/Remove and post back every entry of Java that is listed. While you are there check and see if there is a listing

for DLM or GetPlus.

Did you run the Uninstall from here? http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html  Flash Player does not remove from the Add/Remove section.

And did you follow the Install  by Installing from here?

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe

Adobe has provided instructions for a clean Uninstall of the old version of FP and a clean Install of the latest version.

There are certain things that must be followed for each in order to have a successful Install.

Please post back should you have any questions and what you find out after checking the above. This way I'll have a better idea of exactly what your problem is.

Thanks,

eidnolb

• 3. Re: Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP
              miss kristen kristen

I am using XP SP3 too. why does the very player not function with i.explorer?

Can not see movies / slide shows on web-pages, for example on www.elle.ru - here or here

I have loaded  flash palyer and javascript. anybody help plz

• 4. Re: Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP
                eidnolb onlyone Level 5

Hi Miss Kristen, I would follow the instructions I just posted before you posted.

Thanks

eidnolb

• 5. Re: Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP
                  vttoltal Level 2

Dear VetteCouple,

Make sure there is no software that can block objects while browsing on the internet. For instance, adware and nod32. Also, check if Windows Defender is activated as it may be blocking portions of websites using Flash.

In the other hand, as other posts have commented make sure to check for the latest version of Flash and maybe you can consider checking for security or software updates for Internet Explorer.

Hope this helps,

Vicente.

• 6. Re: Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP
                    VetteCouple Level 1

Followed the instructions but Flash Player still does not work with You Tube

I have put my answers within your paragraphs.

Noel Werking

• 7. Re: Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP
                      MS_DaveH Level 1

I noticed you said you updated javascript, do you mean java? Old versions of java sometimes get left behind, even if you removed from add/remove programs, and old versions of java are known to interfere with flash as well. Instruction on how to remove old versions and how to install the latest version are available here: http://java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml

After the section in uninstall about add/remove there is a link to download a cleanup tool, be sure to follow that.

I feel like we're shooting in the dark though, so can you reply after you've done this, with all the steps you've completed so far, and a clear description of the issue that is occurring.

For brevity, if you've followed a link and completed the steps at that link you can simply post I completed these steps: link, and these steps, link, etc.

• 8. Re: Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP
                        eidnolb onlyone Level 5

Hi VetteCouple, For some reason when posters try to insert into an existing post, it doesn't work. Please just use the reply feature. I've had this happen before, don't know where the info went, but it disappeared:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

• 9. Re: Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP
                          MS_DaveH Level 1

Another possibility is Active X settings, but without seeing what you've done, or more details, it is difficult to narrow down.

-

I work at Microsoft. These are my opinions and not necessarily my employers.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• 10. Problem Resolved Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP
                            VetteCouple Level 1

I followed the procedures below and it worked. Flash Player works with You Tube and IE8. I got the fix from Microsoft after a curt email voicing my displeasure with their support. Adobe was no help at all because Flash Player is free.

Regarding this issue, it may be caused by one of the following factors.

1.      Corrupted Adobe Flash Player

2.      Incorrect IE settings

At this point, I suggest we refer to the following steps to check this issue.

Step 1: Reset Internet Explorer

====================

For Internet Explorer 6.0:

-----------------------------

1. Click "Start", "Run", type: "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotations) and press "Enter".

2. Select the "General" tab, and in the Temporary Internet files window, click "Delete Cookies", and click "OK".

3. In the same tab click "Delete Files", check the "Delete all offline contents" box and click "OK".

4. Click the "Programs" tab, and click "Reset Web Settings".

5. Click the "Advanced" tab, and click "Restore Defaults".

6. Under the "Advanced" tab, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions" (requires restart).

7. Click "OK".

For Internet Explorer 7.0:

1. Please open Internet Explorer, click "Tools", and click "Internet Options".

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab.

3. Refer to "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" section, and click "Reset".

4. Click "Close" when the resetting process is complete.

5. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the Browsing box.

6. Click "Apply", click "OK".

For Internet Explorer 8.0:

1. Click "Start", click "Run", please type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) and press "Enter" to open the Internet options window.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab.

3. Click "Reset…" to reset Internet Explorer settings.

4. Check "Delete personal settings" and click "Reset" to confirm the operation.

5. Click "Close" when the resetting process is complete.

6. Launch "Internet options" window and switch to the "Advanced" tab again.

7. Uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions" in the Settings box.

8. Switch to the "General" tab, click "Use Blank" under the Home page area

9. Click "Apply" and “OK".

10. Close the Internet Explorer window.

Step 2: Manually Install Adobe Flash Player

============================

http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player.exe

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Double click to install Adobe Flash Player.

Then please check if our issue still persists. If not, please help me to collect the following information.

• 11. Re: Problem Resolved Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP
                              eidnolb onlyone Level 5

Hi VetteCouple, glad to hear you have solved some of your problems. I am just curious, are all of the instructions that

you posted from Microsoft? I am very surprised that they took the time to instruct you on IE6, IE7, and IE8. Or were part

of the instructions you listed from another source?

My understanding is that Microsoft offers support for IE8 users, but I certainly was not aware of IE6, and IE7 support unless you pay for it.

You said Adobe does not offer Flash Player support because it is a free application. Adobe provides the Flash Player Forum and many users receive help here.

I had responded to you, but you failed to post back.

I take exception to your statement that you infer that Microsoft made, in that the problem "may be caused by a "Corrupted Adobe Flash Player" The Adobe Flash Player is not corrupted as you infer and then try to say that Microsoft told you that! If the Adobe Flash Player was corrupted it would not work for anyone, or do they pick and choose?

My opinion is that all of the post you made is from another source and not from Microsoft, especially since the statement

you included at the end, to wit: "Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information"

Sorry, I for one do not believe a word you posted.

eidnolb

• 12. Re: Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP
                                VetteCouple Level 1

Well it worked. It all came form Microsoft. Adobe did not offer any direct

help.

• 13. Re: Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP
                                  VetteCouple Level 1

Further more I was trying to help. I don't appreciate your tone or attitude.

Here is the email address of the Microsoft help person.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Support Service. My name is XXXXX, and I

will be assisting you with this case. You can contact me by writing an email

to v-30alya@mssupport.microsoft.com with the case ID SRX1124049723 in the

subject line.

• 14. Re: Flash Player Does Not Work with IE8 and Windows XP
                                    eidnolb onlyone Level 5

Hi, well you should have verified the copy and paste in that post instead of blaming Adobe. Anyone can copy and paste anything as you know.

I didn't expect you to appreciate my tone nor my attitude. I also speak with the Microsoft Support Techs. Mostly they follow a programmed script. Here on the Adobe forum as many as possible receive a one on one support. I had posted

to you and requested in Post#2 information so that I could determine what your problem was. Your reply was lacking

and when I asked you to repost because the format did not accept the way you tried to respond to me you did not. You said in your Post#6 that you followed "the instructions" which said nothing. That was because even tho you directed that reply to me it was meaningless since other people were giving you instructions as well.

Had I not seen that the other instructions were incorrect and were offering you solutions before they did not know what

the problems were I would not have bothered responding to you. I was simply giving you very good advice and questions

for you to respond to and trying to keep you from following incorrect advice from people "guessing" what might be the

solution for you without knowing the problem.

Some people come on the Flash Forum and on purpose or lack of knowledge cause many other users more problems than they had when they first posted their thread. They follow these "experiments,  suggestions, inaccurate advice and yes sometimes downright malicious suggestions"  When I see that I respond, sometimes directly to the poster and othertimes to the person that posted the thread and are seeking help in good faith.

So the next time I hear from you it is in the form of a copy and paste and blaming Adobe and then saying Microsoft told you this. Well, that doesn't make the advice you posted the right advice either and then to say that Microsoft doesn't guarantee the accuracy of this information that you just posted took the cake in my opinion. And that is why I responded as I did.

I will say this, this Adobe Flash Forum and all of the rest of the Adobe Forums have more experts when it comes to anything Adobe than Microsoft has all put together. And I love Mircosoft and Bill Gates , so that is saying something coming from me.

Regards,

eidnolb