8 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2006 1:04 AM by Fanaka72

Very Large Project

Fanaka72 Level 1
      I am a multimedia design student working on an interactive educational program for a local company. I took this project for the opportunity to learn more about Director than was covered in our class, which wasn't much. The project they have given me is quite large. It contains roughly 10 modules with an average of 15 pages per module. Each page is a combination of text, photos, video and audio. As you can see, this project is going to get very large. The first module is complete and is roughly 400MB.(I'm told that this will be the largest of all modules) My question is, is it possible to create a seperate movie for each module and then reference them from a main menu page, or will I have to compile all of it into one movie? Any input would be helpful.
        • 1. Re: Very Large Project
          Level 7
          > is it possible to create a seperate
          > movie for each module and then reference them from a main menu page

Yes, this is both possible and sensible. Check the dcos for the 'go'
          command. Essentially, when you want to navigate to another movie you'd
          use something like:
          _movie.go(1, "movie_name")
          • 2. Re: Very Large Project
            Fanaka72 Level 1
            Great! Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check it out.
            • 3. Re: Very Large Project
              Level 7
              To prepare final product for distribution can use the xtras menu /
              miodify movie command to protect or shockwave compress the external
              director file modules.

Shockwave compression works with CD-Roms as well as the net.
              • 4. Re: Very Large Project
                Level 7
                Hi,

As was said before, it is essential to divide your application into
                small movies that are linked rather than one large file. This will be
                better from a memory management point of view as well as just for work
                managment. Make sure you have a good system of naming files (movies,
                content) s that it makes everything well organised and eay to identify.

You can have extrebal cast files that allows you to share content like
                images between movies, so check that out. When having external cast
                files, be careful about deleting or moving cast members around as this
                can affect the other movies the cast is attched to.

Just expanding somewaht on what was said before - you can jump from one
                movie to anotehr with something like:
                go to movie "MovieName"
                or jump to a marker in a movie with
                go to movie "MarkerName" of "MovieName"

If you need any more info, just ask way.

regards
                Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
                http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 5. Re: Very Large Project
                  Fanaka72 Level 1
                  Thanks for all the input. I have been able to set up the project using the go statement with much success.
                  I do have a couple of questions, though. It seems by using the go to movie command, that the .dir file is accessed.
                  Will this work when the project is published to a cd. Most of the people using this cd will not have director on their computer.
                  Or do I need to publish a projector file for each module and link to the projector? Any additional publishing information would be helpful.
                  • 6. Re: Very Large Project
                    Level 7
                    Fanaka72 wrote:

> I do have a couple of questions, though. It seems by using the go to movie
                    > command, that the .dir file is accessed.
                    > Will this work when the project is published to a cd. Most of the people using
                    > this cd will not have director on their computer.
                    > Or do I need to publish a projector file for each module and link to the
                    > projector? Any additional publishing information would be helpful.

Hi again,

When you publish your project for CD, you should create the projector out of the
                    first movie ONLY. This executable will be able to open DIR files and will not
                    require the end user to have Director installed. You can create a stub projector
                    out of a movie that has minimal content. I have info on this at:
                    http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/publishing/projector.asp

It is common to break up a project into multiple movies and have a single projector
                    to start the presentation. However, if all your files are in DIR format, the end
                    user will be able to open them and see what's inside if he/she as Director. So, it
                    is good practice to protect your movies. You can convert them to a protected DXR
                    format through the Xtras > Update Movies menu. Make sure you make a backup of all
                    your DIR files (outside of Director) before you do this. The Protect option in
                    Director does let you back up movies, but I'd suggest you do it outside the program
                    to ensure you have a second copy of all the files in case anything goes wrong. DXR
                    files cannot be converted back to DIRs.

If you have all your 'go' statements as
                    go to movie "movie2"
                    then this will open 'movie2.dir' or 'movie2.dxr'
                    If you have
                    go to movie "movie2.dir"
                    then it won't work if you use protected movies. That's why it's best not to put the
                    3 letter extension when linking one movie to another.

Hope that provides the additional info you were after.

regards
                    Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
                    http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/
                    http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 7. Re: Very Large Project
                      Fanaka72 Level 1
                      Thanks for your help. That is exactly the information I was looking for. I'll post again if there is anything else that comes up.
                      • 8. Re: Very Large Project
                        Fanaka72 Level 1
                        Thanks to all who have assisted me so far with this project. It's going very well.
                        However, the company wants to add some features to this project that seem a little complicated to me.
                        I need to create a type of shopping cart. A way for users to download a document or file and store it in a temporary area. They will be able to access this list of downloaded documents by the click of a button that is included on every page. If anyone has any ideas how I might accomplish this, it would be of great help.
                        By the way, I am using Director MX 2004.