• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot create compiled file error

Participant ,
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I compiled a chm and attempted to open it without realising I already had a previous version open. It gave an error and so I closed the original and tried again. But now I just get 'Cannot create compiled file. It may be open in another window' whenever I try to open it.

I have tried recreating the SSL, recompiling the chm and restarting my PC.

The file is definitely not still open.

Can anyone help? I am using RH7 on Vista.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you create CHMs from other projects?

You will find samples at

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

or

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

Can you create other forms of help such as webhelp from this project?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I can even create other chms from the same project. Just not that particular configuration of SSL settings.

I've deduced that it's the TOC that is causing problems, if I use a different one, it works fine.

The only change I had made to the problem TOC was to apply a conditional build tag to a topic. I've tried removing it but it makes no difference.

I notice 'Fatal Error: Unexpected error from Microsoft HTML compiler.' at end of compilation messages in output view.

I had a similar problem once before that you worked out was down to me having deleted a cond build tag whilst it was still being used in the project. But I definitely haven't done that here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the same SSL but without the build expression being applied or with changes to the build expression?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting! It worked fine when I removed the build expression.

I then added the tags back into the expression one by one and it worked all the way until I applied the last one. Then same problem - cannot open file, another version may be open. The last tag to be applied is not one I have applied or changed in any way for months.

I removed the whole expression again and it works.

So it must be to do with the tags then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 11 tags and I only need 2 of them for this output. I have tried different combinations and it seems it works OK until I keep just the 2 that I need.

It's even OK if I substitute either of these for a different one.

They just don't work together. I have applied one of these tags to content today but not the other. And I have also applied another tag that isn't causing a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many topics are these two tags applied to?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One is applied to 86 topics and the other to 59 plus 3 TOC pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using a copy of the project...

1] Try renaming the tags and changing the expression.

2] Try removing it from the TOC items.

3] Try trashing the CPD and PSS files and reopening the project.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp