Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HTML view: Line breaks in <span> tags inside ordered/unordered lists

Explorer ,
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

(using RH 8.0.2 on a RoboHelp HTML project originally created in X5)

For some reason RoboHelp insists that some of the span tags in my ordered/unordered lists should have a line break after <span. I have tried editing the code both in HTML view and in the htm file itself (removing the line break and extra spaces using Notepad), but RoboHelp always reverts the edited span tag (i.e. inserts the line break again).

I'm unable to detect a pattern as to where the line breaks manifests themselves.

The code looks like this:

<ol start="4" type="1">

<li class="p"><p>Dobbeltklikk på ønsket forekomst i oversikten <span

style="font-weight: bold;">Forekomster</span>. Dialogboksen <span

style="font-weight: bold;">Rediger forekomst</span> vises.</p></li>

In Word, the the span tag looks like this: <span[space][linebreak][tab][space]style="font-weight: bold;">

Can the <li class="p"><p> tags be the culprits? I tried editing these to a simple <li><p>, and for some reason this seems to remove the superfluous line break in the span tag. Although I can't see why. There are similar li/p tags where the span line break appears.

My main reason for wanting to rid the code of the line breaks in the span tags, is for localization purposes. There are a number of variations of the span tags with linebreak, line feed, spaces and tabs. When translating with Trados/TagEditor, the translation software interprets each variation of a span tag as a separate tag, resulting in as many as 4 different types of bold tags. A common phrase such as "Click OK to continue." can therefore have 4 different variations due to bold tag variations. This dramatically reduces the leverage we get from our translation memories.

Any input will be most welcome!

Best regards,

Torgeir

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

RoboHelp tries to make the HTML code human readable. My guess is that RH probably doesn't line breaks after you remove class=”p”, because it then becomes readable on one line.

The easiest way would probably be to use a script/search and replace operation to remove all unnecessary line breaks, before you send the files for translation. (Backup your project first.)

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Torgeir, did you ever find a solution for this? I am using Robo 7 and this problem is making my life much more difficult than it needs to be! Robo inserts a line break after every item that I have tagged as conditional. Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Unfortunately I never found a good solution for this. Willam's suggestion would work, but then I'd have to do spot checks across 500+ topics to verify that the text still displayed OK.

Good luck!

Torgeir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Removing line breaks from HTML files should not have any impact on the file, other than for the human readability. Unless you are using pre tags, you should be fine if you only remove the line breaks.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William,

My issue is that Robo inserts <br> tags after all my conditional images, so it does impact the way the topics display to the user. If I take them out, Robo puts them back in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is the image on a line of its own?

Are you selecting the image rather than the whole line?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp