9 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 6:36 AM by kugar13

Upgrade from CS2 to CS5

kugar13 Level 1

I'm planning on upgrading from CS2 to CS5 and was wondering if the differences between the two merrit purchasing books (like the classroom in a book series) to teach me about the upgrades.

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Upgrade from CS2 to CS5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

There are no books available yet for CS5 AFAIK, but the differences between CS4 and CS5 are minor, you don't need a book for that.

The differences between CS2 and CS4 are much bigger, so you may have a look at some CS4 books or start with the help file.

• 2. Re: Upgrade from CS2 to CS5
            kugar13 Level 1

Thanks Harm,

I have a feeling I'll be buying the Premiere Pro CS4 Classroom in a Book. Especially since I'm upgrading to HD soon.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Upgrade from CS2 to CS5
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Hello Kugar,

The release dates that I have seen for books, like Adobe CiaB PrPro CS5, mention June. Last date that I saw was for the UK, but would assume that it would be similar for the US. Not sure if Amazon has updated their release/availability date yet, as it's been a few weeks, since I last checked.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you do not have it yet, also order Jeff Bellune's The Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, Focal Press. Yes, it's for an earlier version, but 100% of that book will still apply to Encore CS5. There are additions, but those will be covered in the Help files. That book will bring you up to speed and cover about 95% of Encore CS5.

• 4. Re: Upgrade from CS2 to CS5
                Warwick Finn Level 1

Hi kugar

I'm also planning on upgrading from CS2 to CS5 - is this possible?

Not sure if I have to go to CS4 first then to CS5. I don't have Premiere Pro.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Warwick

• 5. Re: Upgrade from CS2 to CS5
                  kugar13 Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for the update on the books. Getting the books for CS4, per Harm's suggestion, makes sense. Do you think there is merrit in getting both books?

I'm happy to say the focal press encore book has assisted me the past few years. I am thrilled to hear I'm already up to speed, 95%, for encore cs5! =)

I'm a big fan of the focal press series. Great books!

Thanks Hunt!

• 6. Re: Upgrade from CS2 to CS5
                    kugar13 Level 1

Warwick,

I plan to buy CS5. My girlfriend gets a teacher discount, so upgrading from CS2, to CS3, to CS4, to CS5, or from CS2 to CS5 hasn't occured to me.

Kugar

• 7. Re: Upgrade from CS2 to CS5
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Kugar,

Not sure which "two books" you are referring to. If one is CiaB PrPro CS4, I would recommend it highly. The author did a great job with it, and it will be helpful for getting you up to speed with CS5 from CS2. Matter of fact, I am finishing it now, as I will be (hopefully) going to CS5 soon, and while PrPro 2.0 is a very good program, enough has changed, that I needed the updating. As soon as CiaB PrPro CS5 is released, I will probably pick up a copy in anticipation.

Glad that you like the Focal EncoreDVD 2.0 book. I still recommend that very often, because of the great job that Jeff did with it. I keep pestering him to do an addendum, but understand the resistance from Focal Press, as Encore is now only bundled with PrPro - the market shrunk.

Good luck, and please report your success,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Upgrade from CS2 to CS5
                        kugar13 Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks to you and Harm's advice I'll be getting the CiaB CS4 books. Maybe even the CS5 books when they release. I can't wait to get my hands dirty... figuring out all the new bells and whistles CS5 has to offer!

The Focal Press books are very nice. I have a few, and hope they produce more soon!

Thanks!

Kugar

• 9. Re: Upgrade from CS2 to CS5
                          Phil Griffith Level 2

I'm also planning on upgrading from CS2 to CS5 - is this possible?

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Not sure if I have to go to CS4 first then to CS5. I don't have Premiere Pro

It doesn't matter which version you have (premiere) before. Cs5 will install in its on folder separate from any previous version.