Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open Captivate 4 file with Captivate 3

May 27, 2010 May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title suggests, I created a project in Captivate 4 and would to edit the project in Captivate 3. When I try to open it, I get the error message, "Adobe Captivate could not open "project.cp" because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged..."

Are these files not backwards compatible, even from Captivate 4 to 3? Anything else I should consider?

(I created the project using a 64-bit version of Windows 7 , if that's a factor. I tried opening the file on another machine running Win XP, but got the same error.)

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Unfortunately Captivate projects are only forward compatible. And even that will have limits.

Your best bet is to have both versions installed on the same PC. Then create a new, blank project in Captivate 3 that is sized identically to the one in 4. Then perform a copy/paste to move the content from 4 to 3.

Note that any buttons or click boxes will likely need re-linking and you cannot expect things that are "4 specific" to work in 3 any longer. (Widgets, Advanced Actions and the like)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was afraid of that. (Fortunately I created only a test project, so no real time invested.) Thanks, Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources