1 2 3 4 Previous Next 382 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2010 4:05 AM by Was DYP Go to original post
      • 40. Photoshop CS5 freezes
        krish420 Level 1

hy friends ...am krish from india i too have de same problem

in my pc have 2gb ddr2 667bus ram and core to due processor 2.53 processor ,9400 nvidia graphic card ,64bit windows 7 os

am using but when am using my photoshop i put image resolution as 300 , its very slow for me and many times

my pc freezes for long any one cal plz help me .. how to make fast my pc and photoshop cs5 for me ....

my mail id mohankrish420@gmail.com     plz any one help me

• 41. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
          nnnickk Level 1

Chris Cox wrote:

The broadly accepted definition... is not what you are using.

The broadly accepted definition, is what I've been trying to explain to you.

Please stop arguing and use the correct words.

Actually, you haven't been trying to explain anything.  If you have, it's been another miserable failure.  This is all you've had to say on the matter:

Freezes and crashes are 2 very different things.

An analogy:

Freeze:  my car stalled and won't restart.

Crash:  my car exploded, and there's nothing left but a burn mark on the road.

I have provided links with definitions, but your ego is in the way of your understanding.  If you should see past your own head, you might learn something.

What you describe as a crash is absurd.

Here are some links with the publicly accepted definitions that you refuse to accept:

A crash happens when the program just completely stops performing its intended function, along with failing to respond to other parts of the system as well. When this happens, the program you're using may appear to just "freeze up,"

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/4021

A crash can manifest itself in many different ways. The computer may "freeze" or "hang" indefinitely when a crash occurs, or it may display any number of obscure error messages.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/itinformationtechnology/l/bldef_crash.htm

If the crash occurs in an application, then only that application "hangs up," but other applications continue running.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/computer/crash

Need I continue?

Clearly, the accepted definition is as I've used, and not as you have. 

You've contributed nothing in terms of what you are using for your definition and haven't provided any sources: nothing beyond your own ham-fisted meanderings and poor analogies.  And this is your profession!  Gulp!  It's like a carpenter not knowing what a hammer is.

(As an aside, do you know what a hammer is?)

I again, welcome your clarification.  Perhaps we're using a different definition of the word "definition".

• 42. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
            Level 7

I'm sure that if I search the internet long enough, I too can find incorrect definitions of common terms.

But repetition of mistakes does not make them correct.

If you are going to contribute to discussion of actual bugs here, please do so with correct terms so everyone knows what you are talking about.

If you are going to continue debating the accepted definition of common terms, then please, do so in another forum.  We've got work to do here.

• 43. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
              nnnickk Level 1

Chris Cox wrote:

I'm sure that if I search the internet long enough, I too can find incorrect definitions of common terms.

But repetition of mistakes does not make them correct.

If you are going to contribute to discussion of actual bugs here, please do so with correct terms so everyone knows what you are talking about.

If you are going to continue debating the accepted definition of common terms, then please, do so in another forum.  We've got work to do here.

These are the top returns for a google search of "computer crash definition."  Can you admit you're wrong yet?  There's a reason you can't provide any resources that confirm your point of view-- it's because there aren't any.

Anyway, I came here in the first place to report that your software is crashing with disturbing frequency-- and instead of focussing on the problem, you elected to quibble about differences between crashing and freezing-- differences that aren't there, that you are incorrect about.  This mistaken belief, on your part, will hinder your ability to properly diagnose and rectify the problems reported by users in buggy Adobe software.

As such, I think it would very much benefit you to educate yourself on the terms and definitions used in your industry, and that users like myself will be using on forums such as this-- as your confusion has lead to some wasted time here.  Certainly, making sure that you are also using the commonly used definitions would certainly help you communicate with other people.  The world doesn't revolve around your basement.

So, Chris, if you'd like to get to work, figure out why the software is freezing.  Why it's crashing.  While you're at it, read a glossary or two before you start beaking off and coming off as an ignoramus.  Educate yourself.  Oh, and throw in a volume on customer service, too.

I'm trying to help you.  This could benefit your career.

• 44. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                Level 7

OK, so you are not here to work on a problem, you are just looking for an argument.

If you want help, please abide by the terms of service for the forums.

• 45. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                  nnnickk Level 1

I'd love to work this problem out-- it's why I'm here, why we're all here.  But really, we should be talking to a staffer who knows what a program crash is.  We should get some less junior employees on here-- is that possible?

• 46. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                    Mike Ornellas Level 3

You are arguing over semantics and not substance. If you really want to help out, you may want to suggest possible alternative example(s) to show conditions which the software fails. Other then that, you are pissing in the wind.  I for one have givein up on Adobe on many fronts, but to ***** for the sake of ******** is pointless.

Trust me on that one.

• 47. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                      mariopocoroba Level 1

Anyone else noticed that this thread now has over 1200 views? This seems to be a topic of concern for a lot of forum readers, but it's not Adobe's problem - "it's your buggy OS" (that ran every other PS software iteration without much issue at all). There ought to be a class-action suit against Adobe for releasing this so prematurely AND CHARGING FOR IT. We, the users - should at least be able to bill Adobe for all the lost hours trying to get it to function at least as well as CS4.

• 48. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                        Mike Ornellas Level 3

There is no doubt that the release of CS 5 was a corporate moronic mistake. With that said, you can't put the crap back in the toilet so deal with it. If Adobe corporate has any F-ing brains left, they will learn from this debacle and wake up.  Until then, stop using the program if it causes you pain.  Duh....

We have put a lid on the release at this point.

Other then that, yes its a mess. Yes they are tring to fix the mess. If you dont like mess, dont use it.

• 49. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                          Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

For people with font issues, here's the doc on troubleshooting Fonts in Photoshop CS5 (including script to aid in finding troublesome fonts)

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/843/cpsid_84363.html

For the people experiencing slowdowns/freezes, have you tried creating a new user account and running Photoshop from the new user account?

Have you tried a clean install of the OS (from the OS install disk, not from and image or from Time Machine, with a fresh user account) on a second harddrive? (Like an external USB or Firewire drive)

• 50. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                            [scott] Level 6

Hi Jeffery,

I have a completely clean install of OS10.6.3 (on a blank drive) and only Creative Suite Design Premium 5, the latest Wacom driver, and the OS installed. I see these "freezes" (although I think OS stall would be a better term) in both my standard working OS10.5.8 environment or the clean 10.6.3 environment.

• 51. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                              claudio_170310 Level 1

Today Adobe PS CS4 updated itself with some fixes.

• 52. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                CDPritchard Level 1

Finally, someone actually offering a helpful suggestion. Thank you.

Unfortunately, Photoshop CS5 still freezes our systems like someone's poured molasses into the HD - even when I have nothing but Photoshop open, with one small, flat JPG file loaded. Running Leopard 10.5.8 on MBP and Mac Pro with no corrupt fonts, preview disabled (which I am REALLY not happy about), and plenty of RAM and free HD space for scratch.

For professional grade software at this price point, users who exceed the advertised system requirements should not be so consistently running into problems like this. With so many having the same problem, this is clearly a bug in the software that has rendered it unusable - if a proper fix isn't offered very soon, we will be asking for our money back.

• 53. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                  barbsman Level 1

i was going to upgrade to cs5 from elements 8 on my imac, but after reading all the problems people are having with cs5, i'm going to wait. for 600.00 i don't need the aggravation.

• 54. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                    kitoda Adobe Employee

Hi CDPritchard,

I wonder if you have fontworker problem or not...

You can find it from: HD/Users/<user name>/Library/logs/DiagnosticReports/Fontworker_xxx

Do you have any reports?

Thanks,

Kyoko

Potoshop QE

• 55. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                      El Gu man Level 1

I agree with Kevin.  The way I see it, you should never, never upgrade software or OS for at least 6 months.  Let the adventurous and risk takers iron out the wrinkles for ya.

• 56. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                        CDPritchard Level 1

No fontworker problems, but thank you for responding.

• 57. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                          CDPritchard Level 1

El Gu man wrote:

I agree with Kevin.  The way I see it, you should never, never upgrade software or OS for at least 6 months.  Let the adventurous and risk takers iron out the wrinkles for ya.

I might agree if this were freeware or an open source offering, but at this level, there should not be any wrinkles left. We are talking about final release software by a leader in an industry that demands perfection. 'Good enough' should not be the standard for release into the marketplace, especially if we're paying thousands of dollars on a collection released by Adobe for professional use. If it's not ready, it shouldn't be on the shelves.

• 58. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                            mariopocoroba Level 1

There you go folks. I couldn't agree more.

• 59. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                              El Gu man Level 1

I was a product manager in software development in a prior (and good) life.  It is impossible to have a wrinkle free release.  There are many factors and market pressures that push the release.  You know for sure that there will be issues, some totally unknown from testing.  Until you put it out there, you will not know all the bugs and performance issues.  I know we are talking Apple and Adobe here, but the underlying theme is the same, small or large company.

• 60. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                                barbsman Level 1

i hate to sound dumb, but what is a fontworker problem? matter of fact, what is a fontworker? i've never heard that term or word before. is it only in adobe cs software ? i use elements 8 and lightroom, and have no trouble at all with either. i want to upgrade to cs 5 but there is so much negative feedback on cs5, maybe i'll wait. i would appreciate it if you would let me know about that fontworker thing. thanks.  

• 61. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                                  Level 4

barbsman wrote:

…but what is a fontworker problem? matter of fact, what is a fontworker?…

It's an Apple thing.  Snow Leopard has a new System Daemon for fonts called Fontworker.   It offten crashes.  Google it if you need more information than that.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 62. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 8
                                                    We should get some less junior employees on here-- is that possible?

Have you ever browsed the About Photoshop-screen?

Because I don’t think they put the junior employees that far to the front of the list.

• 63. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                                      Level 4

Christoph Pfaffenbichler is being too polite.  The quote in his message by nicknlsn is so far out of line that it's embarrassing for its author.

Chris Cox is a top Adobe engineer, a leading Photoshop DEVELOPER.

• 64. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                                        TreeRemoving Level 1

I also have some freezing problems. It was fixed by reinstalling it for me, I haven't had any problems since... let me know if it worked for you!

• 65. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                                          Level 5

Disclaimer: I only wandered into this thread to see if I was dealing with a troll in another thread with mariopocaroba. I guess I am not surprised to see the ignorant and rude comments to Chris (preserved in another's quotation). These threads that degrade to attacks are a certain way to make them useless to Adobe developers.

nicknlsn wrote:

We should get some less junior employees on here-- is that possible?

There seems to be a confusion that Adobe employees are responsible to monitor and respond to posts in this forum. Personally, I would prefer that they stay focussed on programming than sift through random posts that often lack any substance required to troubleshoot problems. When every post has a 'report abuse' link, one should easily infer that these forums are not monitored 24/7. Few posts on these forums ever come to Adobe's attention.

These user to user forums are great for asking 'I have this problem - does anyone else have it or is there something else I can do?'.

From a development standpoint, these forums are a lousy place to report bugs to Adobe. They can often annoy developers who cannot get relevant information from users or must pick out real issues from personal attacks. Chris has often illustrated this with a 'sigh' in his posts. From a customer service standpoint, it is a no-no to reveal this kind of frustration to a customer. But I prefer this to what Chris must really want to say.

You will notice that all Adobe employees that have dared to respond have never promised anything. They cannot. All that they can say is that they are reviewing it or working on it. To expect them to carry on a conversation here about their progress is lunacy.

If you want to report a bug/issue to Adobe, contact them directly through their bug report form.

Click here to report bugs to Adobe.

• 66. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                                            kitoda Adobe Employee

Thanks Tai for the info.

We received few bugs from our customers.

This is Apple issue and this URL may help if you have CPU usage problem.

Topic : SNOW LEOPARD - fontworker process eating up CPU usage

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2136456&tstart=0

Kyoko

Photoshop Type QE

• 67. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                                              ashlie.h Level 1

Several of us in this forum are not using Snow Leopard and still having the same issue.

I do not have this issue while using CS4 on this exact same computer, only when using CS5.

• 68. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                                                Level 7

Chris has often illustrated this with a 'sigh' in his posts. From a customer service standpoint, it is a no-no to reveal this kind of frustration to a customer. But I prefer this to what Chris must really want to say.

Hmm, guess I need to use that expression less often.

The "sigh" isn't about frustration with the customer -- usually more frustration with an OS vendor or our own internal problems.

Oh, and if you're ever around me in person, you'll see that I sigh and take deep breaths a lot - more an issue with big lungs and bad allergies.

• 69. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes
                                                                  vel0city_uk Level 1

I am also getting these system wide slowdowns - Photoshop CS5 is unusable for me. So far the slowdowns have been triggered by opening the Layer styles dialogue box, using the 3D tools, using Content Aware fill, or just rotating an image. My entire system becomes glacially unresponsive, but there *is* still life there, it's just that everything slows right down and runs incredibly slowly. PS can usually be force-quit from the Dock if I'm patient and wait for the OS to catch up with my mousing, but it can take up to 30 minutes to get any kind of control.

My system:

OSX 10.5.8

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro4,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache (per processor): 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Graphics Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4870

Display: Apple 30" Cinema Display

Wacom Intuos 3

Reverted back to CS4 until this mess gets resolved. Very disappointing as PS CS4 was hardly the poster child for stability and reliability.

• 70. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes for us too
                                                                    contre jour Level 1

We have exactly the same system except for the monitor and CS5 behaves exactly for us as it does for you. We did install it on a separate user account where it ran as advertised in both 32 and 64-bit modes. All our 32-bit plugins from Nik, Imaginomic, Alien Skin and even some from OnOne ran without a hitch in that separate user account. Go figure

• 71. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes for us too
                                                                      Level 7

Does this only happen when working on document with many layers (and maybe layer groups)?

Do you get the slowdowns and freezes if the layers palette is hidden?

• 72. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes for us too
                                                                        vel0city_uk Level 1

I'm seeing this behaviour on flattened images, not just those with layers. I never use layer groups.

Hiding the layers palette with Tab didn't help - still getting the system wide slowdown.

• 73. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes for us too
                                                                          contre jour Level 1

Chris Cox wrote:

Does this only happen when working on document with many layers (and maybe layer groups)?

Do you get the slowdowns and freezes if the layers palette is hidden?

Behaves this way on  flattened images, as well as those with layers...same behaviour with layers pallet hidden -- system slowdown. And, as always, the OS issues a crash report on program shutdown (which can go on for up to 30 minutes).

Here is a link to our Mac crash report file (rtf): http://files.me.com/contre_jour/pwa55q

Regards,

Garry, co-owner, Contre Jour Studios.

• 74. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes for us too
                                                                            Level 7

Garry - that's a crash while quitting Photoshop (that the service manager team is working on).  That probably isn't related to the system slowdown.

• 75. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes for us too
                                                                              Level 7

I'm seeing this behaviour on flattened images, not just those with layers. I never use layer groups.

Hiding the layers palette with Tab didn't help - still getting the system wide slowdown.

Ok, that rules out the one suspect I've found so far (an update problem in the layers palette).

Darn.

• 76. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes for us too
                                                                                samhamann Level 1

I'm having the freeze problem too. I generally have a bunch of windows open and it seems to be while using the type tool or doing anything else. It's hard to tell, it generally happens about a minute after I launch the program. No problems in CS4, so I'm just using that. Hate that I paid $1000 for the suite when it can't be used...

Model Name:    Mac Pro
                                                                                  Model Identifier:    MacPro1,1
                                                                                  Processor Name:    Dual-Core Intel Xeon
                                                                                  Processor Speed:    3 GHz
                                                                                  Number Of Processors:    2
                                                                                  Total Number Of Cores:    4
                                                                                  L2 Cache (per processor):    4 MB
                                                                                  Memory:    4 GB
                                                                                  Bus Speed:    1.33 GHz

Is there a solution? Mostly what I'm seeing on this thread are insults.

• 77. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes for us too
                                                                                  Level 7

We still don't know the cause, and have not been able to reproduce the problem.

We're trying to visit a few people reporting the whole system slowdown/freeze.

The fact that some people see this shortly after launch and with the text tool means that it might be font related -- so disabling font previews in preferences might help, along with verifying fonts using FontBook.

• 78. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes for us too
                                                                                    CDPritchard Level 1

It does seem to happen almost exclusively shortly after launch and when activating the type tool, so that's likely your best course of focus to start. I'm not sure if it will help or not, but several times now I've noticed that after selecting the type tool for the first time, the progress bar for 'initializing type' will load to about 25%, and then will disappear altogether... leaving the freeze in its wake.

For us the bug does not discriminate between 32 vs 64 bit mode, flat vs layered files, or small vs large images. No other tool or panel has caused the freeze for us - it's been the type tool, working with text layers, or (seemingly) nothing at all. There are no corrupt fonts here, plenty of RAM & space on scratch, with 3000 verified fonts activated, and font previews disabled. Running latest Leopard (NOT Snow Leopard) on MBP and Mac Pro.

• 79. Re: Photoshop CS5 freezes for us too
                                                                                      vel0city_uk Level 1

Strictly bare-bones fonts on my machine as it's only used for retouching and imaging - nothing installed apart from the standard Leopard system fonts and whatever CS5 installs. We've tried disabling font previews and verifying fonts with fontbook - no dice.

Chris - thanks for your help and time, appreciated.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next