• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Uninstall Adobe Flash Player to reinstall the latest

New Here ,
May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting about last friday night, I noticed I couldn't watch videos on ESPN and CNN. The video boxes were black or a message to D/L Adobe Flash Player. I went to Adobe to install maybe a Flash Player update. It went through the install, but on the confermation page no graphics or message it was. In checking the FLASH folder I had (10,0,42,34). So I got the Flash uninstaller to do so for the updated Flash Player online. I D/L the (Adobe Flash Player ActiveX) to install, but it stoped because the old version was not removed? So now I can't uninstall Adobe Flash Player and install any Flash Player. I just can't in anyway remove or install! I don't know why Adobe Flash Player went bad. I can't find any resolution online so far. Does anyone know how to get around this or how to remove Adobe Flash Player to reinstall and enjoy websites again.... 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
May 29, 2010 May 29, 2010

Hi QSX, must be a full moon, people are out of sorts, myself included:-) I understand the frustration, just over 50+posts on another thread with problems and it gets that way on this side of the fence too.

Ok, let's see where we are. In your first post, you still had the vs 10.0.42.34 listed. I take it, that was the vs you wanted Uninstalled in order to Install the latest vs 10.0.45.2. If that is so, then what happened during the Uninstall, something prevented the Install of vs 10.0.45.2 and when

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, what operating system are you using and is it a 64bit system or 32bit? What browsers are you using and versions?

Did you make some change on your computer before that happened? Flash Player wouldn't just stop working on it's own.

Any new programs installed or any updates, etc?

Post back that info please.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened on a HP Netbook. With Windos XP 32bit and IE8. Nothing was installed. I just remember I had a Microsoft update sometime last week. Then on last Friday, I couldn't watch a highlight on ESPN. The spot where the video was to be was just a black spot. On CNN it said I had to D/L Adobe Flash Player? I had it installed and updated. I want to D/L Adobe Flash again and noticed on the installation finished, just blank spots where graphics were to be... I D/L the uninstaller, restarted and tried to install the ActiveX install.exe. As you can see in my Video. It didn't work? And I can't install until I can uninstall Flash Player fully.

Adobe Flash Player ActiveX Setup.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi QSX, I've found that when two helpers are advising a user and going in opposite directions it will get confusing. So, since you are trying to use the SubInACL, I'll be moving on.

Hope it works for you and you solve your problems.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want this fixed. I posted this with video to show what I've been dealing with all week so far. I don't want to just recover my system and start over again in about 3 or 4 days reinstalling all my files and programs. I don't really want to do that thow... I just need help and direction to get this solved.

Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 11:10:13 -0600

To: quietstormx@hotmail.com

Subject: Can't Uninstall Adobe Flash Player to reinstall the latest

Hi QSX, I've found that when two helpers are advising a user and going in opposite directions it will get confusing. So, since you are trying to use the SubInACL, I'll be moving on.

Hope it works for you and you solve your problems.

Regards,

eidnolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, i usually like to see that I have a good foundation to proceed from and that means I want to see what of Flash Player is installed. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash. Right click on the Flash folder and post back all files listed.

Also go to manage add ons (all add ons) and look for the Shockwave Flash Object..ActiveX Control...Flash10e.ocx (vs 10.0.45.2) and make sure it is listed and Enabled. If another version is listed, I need to know that as well.

If the Flash files and the add on are not correct, then that is where to start. Anything else doesn't matter at this point.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files in the Flash folder were deleted. Just install text files are there now. I don't know what happened to those. I guess they were deleted by the (Adobe Flash Player uninstaller). I don't know what you are talking about in (go to manage add ons) where is that in Windows XP. I hope you can see things in my video and picture.

Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 11:43:44 -0600

Well, i usually like to see that I have a good foundation to proceed from and that means I want to see what of Flash Player is installed. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash. Right click on the Flash folder and post back all files listed.

Also go to manage add ons (all add ons) and look for the Shockwave Flash Object..ActiveX Control...Flash10e.ocx (vs 10.0.45.2) and make sure it is listed and Enabled. If another version is listed, I need to know that as well.

If the Flash files and the add on are not correct, then that is where to start. Anything else doesn't matter at this point.

Thanks,

eidnolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok that is fine. Sometimes with several Uninstalls/Installs there are a mix of Flash files. The add on would only matter if you had Flash files and most likely also removed on the last Uninstall.

It is found by going to Tools>manage add ons (all add ons with IE8). It would be among all other add ons are listed or could be under ActiveX Controls. IE8 has several categories for listing these add ons. Running with Permissions, Running without Permissions, etc. This is where you would look.

Unless you have Installed a beta or one of the 10.1 prerelease versions of Flash Player you should be able to use this Uninstaller and download it to your Desktop:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Download the FP Installer for IE to your Desktop:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe

Since an Anti-Virus/Spyware program can block the Install of the ActiveX Control(Shockwave Flash Object) then you should post that info back before you start. Also if the A/V has a Firewall. If you only use the Windows Firewall, then that is not an issue. Many of the A/V programs even if you know which components to Disable, they will re-enable themselves on the Reboot after the Uninstaller is run and of course will then be active when you run the Installer and will block the Install.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the last few days and nights, I've been trying to uninstall Adobe Flash Player. Only to try to install through online and the Adobe Flash Player install.exe only to have it stop because it was not uninstalled? Why? Why won't it uninstall? I just want it off my PC now!

Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 13:12:19 -0600

Ok that is fine. Sometimes with several Uninstalls/Installs there are a mix of Flash files. The add on would only matter if you had Flash files and most likely also removed on the last Uninstall.

It is found by going to Tools>manage add ons (all add ons with IE8). It would be among all other add ons are listed or could be under ActiveX Controls. IE8 has several categories for listing these add ons. Running with Permissions, Running without Permissions, etc. This is where you would look.

Unless you have Installed a beta or one of the 10.1 prerelease versions of Flash Player you should be able to use this Uninstaller and download it to your Desktop:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Download the FP Installer for IE to your Desktop:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe

Since an Anti-Virus/Spyware program can block the Install of the ActiveX Control(Shockwave Flash Object) then you should post that info back before you start. Also if the A/V has a Firewall. If you only use the Windows Firewall, then that is not an issue. Many of the A/V programs even if you know which components to Disable, they will re-enable themselves on the Reboot after the Uninstaller is run and of course will then be active when you run the Installer and will block the Install.

Thanks,

eidnolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QSX,

You keep saying that you can't Uninstall the Flash Player, but you clearly have no Flash files installed per your folder.

So somehow they were removed. Did you follow the Uninstall instructions? Did you close all applications  that use Flash?

Did you make sure your Security was set per the Instructions? Since you are using IE, did you pay any attention to the NOTE?

Did you read that paragraph that some files will  not be deleted and under what circumstances?

Did you read the troubleshooting guide?

You say you want help, but you didn't even bother answering a simple question. You post a fancy video like you expect the Adobe Developers and Programmers are monitoring the Flash Forum.

I don't have a degree in Flash Player but I do have some knowledge about it and try to help those that come here.

Flash Player is not a complicated program. For IE it installs 4 Flash files, 2 of which are text doc. It installs an ActiveX Control in the IE add ons. That is it!!!! 2 Files and an ActiveX Control.

It has been my experience 98% of the time, if someone has a problem, it is their computer and what they have or don't have on it. It is not the Adobe Flash Player.

By the way, troubleshooting is a two-way street and it takes cooperation from the one having the problem and the one that is trying to help.

And I have not seen much cooperation on your part, so I can not be of any further help to you.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm truely sorry. I'm just frustrated. This happend out of the blue last Friday evening when I noticed I could not view a video highlight on ESPN. Then I noticed I'm getting a strange popup when I surf to CNN twice. I've done several virus scans with no hits. I just installed the Adobe Flash Player 10.1 beta. I'm still getting these install Adobe Flash player popups everywhere I go now. Is there anyway to just remove Adobe Flash Player through the Registry? This seems like the only way to remove this problem Adobe flash Player 10,0,42,34 listed. I had the latest version installed. I don't know why I had this when I updated weeks ago. I don't want to recover my system again. It just takes several days to reinstall.

FYI I just used the SubInACL and reset_fp10.cmd. It didn't work...

I don't have the Adobe Flash Player activeX plugin for IE8?

Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 17:00:51 -0600

QSX,

You keep saying that you can't Uninstall the Flash Player, but you clearly have no Flash files installed per your folder.

So somehow they were removed. Did you follow the Uninstall instructions? Did you close all applications that use Flash?

Did you make sure your Security was set per the Instructions? Since you are using IE, did you pay any attention to the NOTE?

Did you read that paragraph that some files will not be deleted and under what circumstances?

Did you read the troubleshooting guide?

You say you want help, but you didn't even bother answering a simple question. You post a fancy video like you expect the Adobe Developers and Programmers are monitoring the Flash Forum.

I don't have a degree in Flash Player but I do have some knowledge about it and try to help those that come here.

Flash Player is not a complicated program. For IE it installs 4 Flash files, 2 of which are text doc. It installs an ActiveX Control in the IE add ons. That is it!!!! 2 Files and an ActiveX Control.

It has been my experience 98% of the time, if someone has a problem, it is their computer and what they have or don't have on it. It is not the Adobe Flash Player.

By the way, troubleshooting is a two-way street and it takes cooperation from the one having the problem and the one that is trying to help.

And I have not seen much cooperation on your part, so I can not be of any further help to you.

Regards,

eidnolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi QSX, must be a full moon, people are out of sorts, myself included:-) I understand the frustration, just over 50+posts on another thread with problems and it gets that way on this side of the fence too.

Ok, let's see where we are. In your first post, you still had the vs 10.0.42.34 listed. I take it, that was the vs you wanted Uninstalled in order to Install the latest vs 10.0.45.2. If that is so, then what happened during the Uninstall, something prevented the Install of vs 10.0.45.2 and when that could not be Installed, then the 10.0.42.34 was left in place.

Now you have Installed one of the RC 10.1, I think it is RC6 now. Also you tried the SubInACL and it didn't work.

The way to untangle this, is last in first out. The 10.1 must be Uninstalled, but the Installer that is for prerelease versions, not the normal Uninstaller. I'll post that in a minute. First I see no reason why you cannot(after 10.1 is removed) Install Flash Player 10 vs10.0.45.2. All is needed is to determine what went wrong the first time, but we can go into that if you want to do that.

The reason you are getting pop ups is that the websites are looking for Flash Player 10, not a beta. Or if you don't have the Shockwave Flash Object in your add ons. This is the Control that works with the Flash files.

There is a certain way to insure a successful Uninstall and Install of Flash Player, I think in your case it just wasn't done correctly.

Here is the link to the site that has the Uninstaller link for the 10.1. Page down and you will see Uninstall info.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

Let's get the 10.1 Uninstalled first, just remember when you are finished to Reboot(restart) your computer. I'm not sure but I thot I read that this Uninstaller will Uninstall the shipped version also?

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2010 May 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the help. I don't know what went wrong in the first place. But I took a little break to watch a Baseball Game. I uninstalled 10.1, restarted, uninstalled 10,0,42,34, restarted. All this time I made sure everything in my system tray exited each time. I waited about 30 minites before I tried to install Adobe Flash Player ActiveX Setup.exe. It installed this time with no issues. I'm checking everything out to see if things are back to normal. I truely thank you. After a week with this issue, I'm happy it's over and done...

Carroll E. Gant, JR.

Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 21:41:46 -0600

Ok, let's see where we are. In your first post, you still had the vs 10.0.42.34 listed. I take it, that was the vs you wanted Uninstalled in order to Install the latest vs 10.0.45.2. If that is so, then what happened during the Uninstall, something prevented the Install of vs 10.0.45.2 and when that could not be Installed, then the 10.0.42.34 was left in place.

Now you have Installed one of the RC 10.1, I think it is RC6 now. Also you tried the SubInACL and it didn't work.

The way to untangle this, is last in first out. The 10.1 must be Uninstalled, but the Installer that is for prerelease versions, not the normal Uninstaller. I'll post that in a minute. First I see no reason why you cannot(after 10.1 is removed) Install Flash Player 10 vs10.0.45.2. All is needed is to determine what went wrong the first time, but we can go into that if you want to do that.

The reason you are getting pop ups is that the websites are looking for Flash Player 10, not a beta. Or if you don't have the Shockwave Flash Object in your add ons. This is the Control that works with the Flash files.

There is a certain way to insure a successful Uninstall and Install of Flash Player, I think in your case it just wasn't done correctly.

Here is the link to the site that has the Uninstaller link for the 10.1. Page down and you will see Uninstall info.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

Let's get the 10.1 Uninstalled first, just remember when you are finished to Reboot(restart) your computer. I'm not sure but I thot I read that this Uninstaller will Uninstall the shipped version also?

eidnolb

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi QSX, well your post was good news indeed. I knew you could do it. Glad you didn't have any trouble Uninstalling the 10.1. I know Flash Player is not the easiest program to Uninstall and Install since there are many roadblocks to overcome. Like the ActiveX that Microsoft uses, permission issues, new restrictions with IE7 and IE8, A/V blocks. These are the problems, not FP. Once these are addressed per the instructions, FP is a piece of cake:-)

Well I am that after a "rocky" start you have it done!!

Have a nice Holiday!

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QSX, have you checked your Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs) to see if Flash Player is uninstalled (basically, not on the list of programs?). If it isn't up there but you are still having problems ... well, let me think about that...

(By the way eidnolb, Flash content is perfectly compatible with content made fro earlier Flash versions. How do I know? I have Flash CS5, thus am using Flash Player 10.1 myself.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the issue resolved. Thank you....

Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 00:11:41 -0600

QSX, have you checked your Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs) to see if Flash Player is uninstalled (basically, not on the list of programs?). If it isn't up there but you are still having problems ... well, let me think about that...

(By the way eidnolb, Flash content is perfectly compatible with content made fro earlier Flash versions. How do I know? I have Flash CS5, thus am using Flash Player 10.1 myself.)

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to see you've solved the problem once and for all. Hopefully the final Flash Player 10.1 won't be so hard to install/uninstall ...

dikuno <><

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2010 May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I wonder when that will be.... I was no fun going around all week with these Flash Player install popups on rotating ads and websites Flash based I could not see, wow.

Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 22:24:32 -0600

Good to see you've solved the problem once and for all. Hopefully the final Flash Player 10.1 won't be so hard to install/uninstall ...

dikuno <><

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks by the video posted that it's XP.

Check this link, and follow the steps there

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html

You should be able to install the latest player after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I'm aware of this but I don't have (C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools) on my system. I wish I could have used it thow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware of this but I can't use it. I don't have this on Windows XP. I wish I could use it thow...

Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 23:36:24 -0600

Looks by the video posted that it's XP.

Check this link, and follow the steps there

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html

You should be able to install the latest player after that.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I've been told (I don't really know, because I've never had to run it) when you run the SubinACL it creates that folder. Then you can complete the process.

Again, I can't personally confirm that because I've never had to run it myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't use this in Windows XP anyway. I wish I could and get this over with. Is's driving me crazy....

Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 01:58:21 -0600

From what I've been told (I don't really know, because I've never had to run it) when you run the SubinACL it creates that folder. Then you can complete the process.

Again, I can't personally confirm that because I've never had to run it myself.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't you run it on XP?

(From the SubinACL download page) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en

System Requirements

• Supported  Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP
You  can download and install SubInACL.exe on the following operating  systems:
  • Windows 2000 Professional
  • Windows 2000  Server
  • Windows 2000 Advanced Server
  • Windows 2000  Datacenter Server
  • Windows XP Professional
  • Windows Server  2003, Web Edition
  • Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
  • Windows  Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
  • Windows Server 2003, Datacenter  Edition

I know it says XP Pro, but it works on XP Home too because the Windows Registry is identical. At least the part it modifies is.

I'm going to download and install it on my VMs of XP Pro and Home to test it.

Update: Downloaded and installed on XP Home and Pro and it creates the folder in question as the install folder. Also downloaded and ran the reset_FP command file and cleaned out a working copy of FlashPlayer on XP Home. Then downloaded and installed the latest from the downloads page.

I encountered no errors and no problems doing any of this.

Message was edited by: I_Know_Nothing_at_all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but, I don't have the install directory listed (C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools). Do I create my own? It says to install in that directory. Where would you install it on Windows XP? I have not read anything about that.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/163/fb1634cb.html

Make sure you are logged into a Windows Administrator account. If you are not, you will not be able to use SubInACL.

Download SubInACL from the Microsoft Download Center.

Follow the installation instructions. Make sure you install SubInACL (subinacl.exe) to the directory C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools.

Download the reset_fp10.zip file.

Open the fp10.zip file and extract the reset_fp10.cmd file to the directory C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\. Note that that both this file and SubInACL (subinacl.exe) must be in this directory.

Double-click reset_fp10.cmd. A command window will open, and SubInACL will run.

Do not use the machine while SubInACL is running.

After SubInACL finishes, you will see a prompt "Press any key to continue".

Install Flash Player from the Flash Player download page.

To confirm that your installation succeeded, visit the About Flash Player page. At the top of the screen, you should see a message that reads "Adobe Flash Player Successfully Installed."

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19148.html

I downloaded these files ready to go forward, but where to install? See. If you know someone who's tried this in Windows XP, where did they install SubInACL? I'm ready to try this if I have the right direction. I just want to get this over with. I can't use some software or visit a lot of sites because I don't have Adobe Flash Player installed....

> Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 04:46:40 -0600

Why can't you run it on XP?

(From the SubinACL download page)

h4. System Requirements

• Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP

You can download and install SubInACL.exe on the following operating systems:

• Windows 2000 Professional

• Windows 2000 Server

• Windows 2000 Advanced Server

• Windows 2000 Datacenter Server

• Windows XP Professional

• Windows Server 2003, Web Edition

• Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition

• Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition

• Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines