• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printed document file name

Apr 17, 2006 Apr 17, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Does anyone have information on how to change the naming convension of the printed document files?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 17, 2006 Apr 17, 2006
I just realised you are using the multiple file option. Not sure if you can do anything about that, I think not but would need to test. Can you not use the single file option? I think it is a better one anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

You can give the file any name you want in the first page of the wizard. If that is not what you mean, please elaborate a little.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thanks for the welcome.

When I generate a printed output, the resulting file names starts with "Chapter_01, Chapter_002, Chapter_03, etc. plus the topic name. For example, Chapter_01_Topic_name.doc. The desired output file name is the topic name and the .doc extension (without the "chapter_01" in front of the topic name).

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realised you are using the multiple file option. Not sure if you can do anything about that, I think not but would need to test. Can you not use the single file option? I think it is a better one anyway.
Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a little background: The resulting printed document will be acting as a sub-document and will be read by a master Word document. In other words, each topic will contain steps on how to perform an xyz procedure. These steps will be compiled as html help for online delivery. The topics will also be compiled as individual word documents that will populate sections of a training material. The step procedures will undergo changes and the idea is to make the change in one place and reflect the changes to both online and training material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2006 Apr 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you are setting up the master document. If so, why not create a number of print layouts as you can have any number. That way you get to control the file name and can update any one of them at any time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are correct, I am using master documents. So, how do you use print layout to control the file names?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second field in the first page of the wizard. Call the document whatever you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you are saying now. But it won't work for what I am trying to do. My master Word document is a standalone document from the one RoboHelp output. I am reading in the individual robohelp topic word doc files into a standalone master word document (created outside of robohelp).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a long time since I looked at master documents but if you have created one outside RH and it is looking for files of a particular name in the same folder as the master, then copying your RH documents to that folder would work, I think.

BTW. This topic on my site may be of interest to you. Click here. It creates a TOC for all the documents in the merge. It was done several generations of Word back but it should still work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole process does work fine. The only sticky part is RoboHelp automatically appends "Chapter_x" in front of the generated print document file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
In the print wizard, do you have the check box for the master document ticked? I think the answer is No as you are creating your own.

That means you must have the radio button to Generate Individual Documents set. That is what is giving the Chapter prefix.

What I am suggesting is that you have Generate a Single Document set instead but with the print layout just containing one book. You have another layout for the next book and so on. So if you have six books you will have six layouts. For each one you can then have your file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp