Exit

Weird characters when generating WebHelp from a word document

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

First of all, I'm using RoboHelp 6.

I've seen many posts about this subject, but none with the same version.

I've generated a WebHelp from a word document, that contains accentuated characters (french).

When viewing that help from my local machine, it's ok.

When viewing that help from a web server, it displays weird characters.

I'd like to change the encoding to UTF8, in my web help.

I've seen (if I understood well) that we could change the output charset when generating a web help, but only from the RoboHelp 7 version.

How can I do such a thing on  RoboHelp 6 version ?

I've tried to add <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> in many htm files, without success.

Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot

Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Changing the metatag doesn't change the encoding of the file. You can use a program to convert your files to UTF-8. See: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-batch-convert-text-files-to-utf-8-encoding/

Backup before you runs such a tool though.

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Thank you for answering me.

There is no way to do it using RoboHelp ?

Thkx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I know. As far as I know, RH uses UTF-8 encoding (with BOM) in version 8. Version 7 output is ANSI.

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have converted all the files to UTF8, without success

Weird characters still displayed...

No other ideas ?

What about the original document encoding ?

Is it important (UTF8, WINDOWS, ISO, ...) ?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming your using RH HTML version.

Did you convert the output of the source files? It's safer to only convert the output.

You can use a tool like Notepad++ to get the file encoding of your output files. You can also add a meta tag for a different file encoding that UTF-8, such as:

This may also be a server setting. When you open the files locally, what charset is used by the browser? (In FF you can find this in the menu view.) Then open the files on the server. See what charset the browser uses then. Also, try switching the file encoding in the browser to see if that corrects the problem on the server.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Last news :

You were right.

I have badly converted the html files (using PSPad).

With your tool (UTFCast), I have converted all the html files, and everything works fine !!!!  Yeehhhaaaa !!!!

Thanks a lot for your help

Regards

Sylvain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp