• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player vs. flash Plugin

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2010 Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to be diligent about keeping all my Adobe products up to date.  Flash is next in line but I don't quite understand what the flash player is as compared to the plugin.  I have multiple computers that have both installed and want to make sure everything is on the current version.  So my questions are:

#1. What is the difference between the player and the plugin?

#2. When I go to Adobe's site and update flash it only updates the flash player, not the plugin.  Where is the update for the plugin to bring it current?

#3. Is the plugin even needed if the flash player is installed?

Thanks for the input in advance.

BD

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Hi BD, The Flash Player term applies to all browsers that is supported. If you see Flash Player ActiveX in your Add/Remove or Programs and Features, this indicates you have it Installed in Internet Explorer. If you see Flash Player plug-in listed there, it indicates that you have it Installed in Firefox, Chrome or any other browser that is supported.

In the IE add ons, one would also have the Shockwave Flash Object, the ActiveX Control that works with the Flash files for IE that have been Install

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BD, The Flash Player term applies to all browsers that is supported. If you see Flash Player ActiveX in your Add/Remove or Programs and Features, this indicates you have it Installed in Internet Explorer. If you see Flash Player plug-in listed there, it indicates that you have it Installed in Firefox, Chrome or any other browser that is supported.

In the IE add ons, one would also have the Shockwave Flash Object, the ActiveX Control that works with the Flash files for IE that have been Installed and it must be Enabled.

In the FF or other browsers, one would find the SWF vs 10.0.45.2 (latest version) listed and it must be Enabled. This is the plug-in and yes it is needed.

When Installing Flash Player, you would need to Use IE and Install for that browser. Then if you want Flash Player Installed for Firefox or another browser, then Use that browser and Install Flash Player for all non-IE browsers.

The link for non-IE browsers is here which you would download to your Desktop:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player.exe

Hope this helps explain it.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That explains it perfectly.  Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi BD, good to hear. And thanks for marking your thread as answered. You had a good question and I'm sure your thread will be helpful to others as well.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines