• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to batch convert office files like doc to pdf?

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2008 Mar 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

version: acrobat pro 7.08

i want to convert about 500 doc files to pdf and have tried to set printer to "Adobe PDF" printer with using batch "printing all" to convert my doc files, message box always asked me saving directory and tmp file for each doc converting, i just want it can process all files and no question, is there any way to do it? thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2008 Mar 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag and drop them or use Batch processing. If you use the drag and drop, be sure to turn off the open in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 03, 2010 Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Drag and drop them or use Batch processing. If you use the drag and drop, be sure to turn off the open in Acrobat. "

Can someone please explain to me what this means?

I have Acrobat 9 Pro.  I see 1. no options for Batch processing and 2. have no idea what "turn off the open" means, other than I know that I want to do it.

If I try to select more than one file (SNP, in this case) in Explorer, right click and select convert, then acrobat wants me to 1. select a place to save the file, and 2. open the file (and make me close it).

This generally crashes the program making any sort of batch converting completely useless.

Please help.  I've been pulling out my hair for months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Batch Sequences are available with Acrobat Professional.
From the command menu:
Advanced > Document Processing > Batch Processing.
Several "out of the box" sequences are provided.
You can create new ones if desired.

Click-Drag-Drop
Open Acrobat.
Reduce Acrobat's active window.
Open the file manager (i.e., Windows Explorer).
Select some files, drag and drop into Acrobat's display (active window).
Wait. -- Yes, the selected files' parent application is opened, no avoiding this.
This can be resource intensive. How many files can be processed is a function of how robust
one's computer is. One must experiment to find an optimal number of files to process.

Something helpful when converting supported files to PDF.
Open Acrobat's Preferences.
Select the "Convert to PDF" category.
Scroll the listing of supported formats.
Select one. If the "Edit" button is active, click it to view what configuration options can be set.

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the window open repeatedly when trying to convert 30 SNP files is not acceptable.  It takes too long, and crashed my computer after the 2nd or 3rd file and is completely useless.

I did find the batch command, but it does not work.  I set up a batch process, it appeared to run, but all that resulted was two new, empty folders named "In" and "Out".  Nothing actually happened.

I am amazed that there is no solution for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SNP as in MS Access report snapshots?

If so, you've a Microsoft "exotic", as it were, which is not, as far as I can determine, among the file formats support by Acrobat's conversion process.
The listing in Acrobat's Preferences (Convert to PDF category) and the information at the link below can provide one with a good sense of what is or is not supported.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/333/333504.html

(Acrobat PDF-capable web browsers and PDFMaker-compatible applications (Acrobat 6.x - 9.x on Windows and Mac OS)

What ought to provide a PDF is a File > Print using the Adobe Printer from within the viewer feature in MS Access or with the View App for those without MS Access.

Perhaps a feature request might be of merit?
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exotic?  hehe  Never heard that before.  SNP has been around forever (yes, Access report format).

Not supported?  I've been doing this for years, just not in batch.  Access 2007 has it built in (pdf I mean), similar to how you suggest.  Just that I work for the gov't and it's going to be another century before we get to 2007.

There are ways to code it into Access (the print to printer thing), but the require installing an add-in, a big nono around here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By turning off the Open feature, open Start>Printers>Adobe PDF printer. Select the properties and go to the settings tab (may have to select Advanced first to get to a second window with some versions). On the settings tab there is a selection to Open PDF when created. Turn that option off.

As far as drag and drop, you should be able to drag and drop the SNP files on the Adobe PDF printer window when it is open. Basically this would start the native SNP print process to the Adobe PDF printer. Under the "open" tab location, there are also options about naming the files and such.

If this does not work, you may just have to start opening the SNP files in their native application and start printing from there to the Adobe PDF printer. It may be faster than trying to get an automated method to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Start>Printers>Adobe PDF printer"  Thanks!  I didn't think to look there, it was a little tricky to

find but there is a button called "View Adobe PDF results"--I'm hoping that was it, going to test now.

Closer--but no cigar.  It didn't seem to open the files after, but after dragging the files it asked me where to save every one of them--all at once.  So it crashed, as usual.  And now I can't figure out what is the active window (there's 15 of them piled up, and none of them want to let me click Save), so I'm going to have to reboot.

at least this is a little better, but nowhere near where it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED!  Woo hoo!  (Thanks guys!)

For the zillions of you out there looking to batch convert SNP files, here's how I did it, using the above help:

Under Printers, I went to Adobe PDF.  Clicked on Printer-->Printing preferences.  On the Adobe PDF Settings tab, there was:

1. Adobe PDF Output Folder.  It appears as a combo box/drop down.  You can browse to any folder to save the files there.

2. View Adobe PDF Results.  Checkbox--uncheck it.

Then I just dragged my files to the open Adobe PDF printer window, I got a message asking if I was sure that I wanted to print multiple files, the computer thought for a second and then took off.  All the files appeared in the folder I specified.

Now that I know how that works I might be able to come up with code for it so I can have it happen from inside Access.

Thanks again, I've been trying to do that for almost a year! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked to a point.  For some reason, the process

would only convert to pdf a portion of the .snp files. Any ideas why it is not converting all the selected files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe check into something unique about the .snp files?  Are they locked by Access or some other process?  Is there some graphic or something that might be diffcult to convert?

I use this process on a regular basis now, and it's been working great for me, but the reports I'm converting are pretty simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Usually there is a log file created in the folder that tells you what went wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines