Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

onclick or onsubmit which is better?

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2006 Apr 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Adding JS validation onclick of a submit button or adding JS to form onsubmit, which is better?. What is Adv and Dis?.

<form name="frm" method="post">
<input type="Submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" onclick="return JSCheck(this.form)">
</form>

OR

<form name="frm" method="post" onsubmit="return JSCheck(this.form)">
<input type="Submit" name="Submit" value="Submit">
</form>

Thanks

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this kind of programming there are no hard and fast rules. I don't think there is a significant difference between the two. Which one you choose depends on how creatively you put the function JSCheck() together.

However, i prefer the second. I get the feeling the button is 'overloaded', as it has to respond to two events: submit the form and run the script.

Also, if the Javascript performs form validation, then it will only be natural for it to be called by onSubmit. Imagine that the result of the form validation, return JSCheck(this.form), is a boolean. If it is true, the form is submitted; otherwise, not. In these circumstances the code onSubmit="true;" will be more natural than the code onClick="true;" .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
onsubmit is better because you can submit a form without clicking anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation