11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 1:43 PM by pixelbot

hard to see path tool

pixelbot

i don't remember what it was called but several versions ago there was a way to enable an option to make paths do a reverse color thing so you could see them more easily against certain colors.  i'm trying to silo some gray jackets right now and my eyes are bleeding.  i can't seem to find an option for that in the last few cs versions. i'm on cs5 now. anyone?

• 1. Re: hard to see path tool
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

In some thread it was mentioned that in CS5 (on Mac) Path Display has changed due to changed System resources.

A workaround might be using the Path as a Vector Mask for a Solid Color Layer; either with reduced Opacity that or set to Fill 0% and with Layer Style Stroke applied.

The shape would always appear closed, though, so that may or may not be of use to you.

• 2. Re: hard to see path tool
            pixelbot Level 1

i can't believe they can't program a solution for something that worked perfectly well back in version 4.0

• 3. Re: hard to see path tool
              Reynolds (Mark) Level 4

Chris Cox has told us that its due to Cocoa not providing enough OS blending options. Again looks like Cocoa is not ready for an app of Photoshops sophistication

I agree pathing has now become very tricky without a workaround: put a Brightness/Contrast adjustment on to temporarily boost the brightness to make the path more visible. I remember something like this years ago, maybe it was when OSX first came out?

• 4. Re: hard to see path tool
                pixelbot Level 1

a layer adjustment is the best workaround i found so far. unfortunately i seem to need it more often than not.  i'd love an option to change the path to any solid color - red, bright green, etc.  like you can with guides.

• 5. Re: hard to see path tool
                  Level 7

There was a useful blend mode in MacOS 9 and Carbon called "AddOver" that could be used to get high contrast shapes over any background, in a reversible way (great for cursors, paths, etc.).  Even on Windows, we can emulate that blend mode.

In Cocoa, Apple doesn't offer that blend mode, nor a way to handle reversible compositing beyond what we are already doing (difference blend mode).

We have been investigating ways to do better path drawing using OpenGL shaders, but didn't have a solution in time for CS5 (it's not as easy as it sounds).

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: hard to see path tool
                    pixelbot Level 1

good to know it's being worked on.  in the meantime i guess i have a reason to boot up my old MDD G4 in OS9.  i knew i was keeping that machine for a good reason.  thanks

• 7. Re: hard to see path tool
                      Reynolds (Mark) Level 4
                      We have been investigating ways to do better path drawing using OpenGL shaders, but didn't have a solution in time for CS5 (it's not as easy as it sounds).

Well since its pretty essential, I would have hoped that this work is something that will be included in an upgrade.

• 8. Re: hard to see path tool
                        pixelbot Level 1

i'm still struggling with this issue.  i'm confused how it is that i can still see the paths fine in CS3 run on the exact same machine, same OS. paths in CS3 are black/white and reverse according to the pixels under it.  CS4/CS5 both give more or less gray path lines that are harder to see than a polar bear in a snowstorm. doesn't make sense to me as some have suggested, that it's really a fault of apple not having the core capabilities in the OS to enable PS to do the job.  if it can work in CS3 why can't it work in CS5???  do i need to learn programming and fix this myself?

• 9. Re: hard to see path tool
                          Level 7

i'm confused how it is that i can still see the paths fine in CS3 run on the exact same machine, same OS.

Because QuickDraw (the Carbon drawing API) has a useful blend mode that is missing from Quartz (the Cocoa drawing API).

And OpenGL drawing is also missing many useful blend modes.

doesn't make sense to me as some have suggested, that it's really a fault of apple not having the core capabilities in the OS to enable PS to do the job.

But that is the case.

• 10. Re: hard to see path tool
                            Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

Try this:

Go to Preferences>Performance.... and click [Advanced Settings...] and uncheck "Anti-alias guides and paths."

You may need to close and reopen Photoshop for the change to take.

Let me know if that solves your problem.

- Jeff

• 11. Re: hard to see path tool
                              pixelbot Level 1

hi Jeff,

thanks for the suggestion, it seems to make it a teeny bit easier to see but it's still pretty tough on most images

David