• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combining Projects in RoboHelp v5

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two projects in RoboHelp 5 that I need to combine, in order to move them into Flare as one project. Can that be done in RH5?

The help only refers to merging projects when compiling and that's not what I need. I actually need to combine the source files into one project and hopefully keep indexes, etc. intact.

Can someone point me in the right direction for information or confirm whether this can actually be accomplished?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

One way to achieve this is to right-click the Project manager and Import topics from one project into the other.

Out of idle curiosity, what led you to choose Flare over a RoboHelp upgrade?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say this is one way... is there another way?

There are about 75-100 files in the smallest project, and the structure includes several folders. To import by file will take more time than I'd hoped to spend.

I was hoping for a one-stop click and go solution.

The company made the decision to move from RH to Flare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

When you import, note that you are able to import more than a single file at a time.

And sure, there is usually always more than a single way to do anything. What I offered is the "RoboHelp" way. If you are willing to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty, you could manipulate things by copying files and editing some other files. For example, create an HTML Help (CHM) project in RoboHelp. Then compile it so you get an updated .HHP file. This is the master control file used by the Microsoft HTML Help compiler. You could then close the RoboHelp application and make some edits to the HHP file to include the additional topics. Once you are fairly certain you have them all combined, you create a RoboHelp project by pointing at the HHP file. You could then port that to Flare.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When you import, note that you are able to import more than a single file at a time."

Right, but since I have folders with nested folders even importing all files in each folder all at once will take a wee bit more time than I'd hoped. Plus I'll have to create the fodlers on the other side first in order to import them into the same structure. <sigh>

Do links update when imported this way?

Thanks for the info on the "other" method. I really don't have the bandwidth for that one.

I appreciate the help and the quick responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

The folks that designed Flare may have an option on the Flare import side that allows you to just add to a Flare project by repeatedly importing RoboHelp Projects. I'm not a Flare user so I have no clue if that's a possibility, but thought I'd toss it out.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. I've posted a similar version of the question on the Flare site. They're just not as quick on the draw today.

And thanks again for your quick responses and your help.

At least I know there is a way to do it now, even if it means a little more work than I anticipated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I truly am sorry to see anyone go. I notice you refer to the ancient version of X5. I'm glad more folks have converted to the new Adobe RoboHelp 8. Adobe has demonstrated continued support for building more and more features into RoboHelp with three major releases in just four years and no telling what they are cooking up now. I hope you will be back soon!

Seriously, when the company is ready to return, I have a Flare-to-RoboHelp Converter that has worked very well for folks. It's not fancy but it works nicely and even retains, TOC/Index/Glossary/Snippets/Variables/Conditional Tags, etc. from Flare projects.

And, it's free.

For lurkers dropping by this thread, it is described here.

http://www.showmethedemo.com/flare-to-robohelp/flare-to-robohelp.htm

Thanks

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think Ingrid will find that she has to create two Flare projects so that they are converted from RH format to Flare format and then have to import in the same way as with RH.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp