• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Index Search does not work

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2010 Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created an index in my RH project with many keywords, but when I search for a keyword, it does not find it.

Is there some way I'm supposed to be tagging it that will make it available for search?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Hi there

I think I understand what is happening now. Thanks for the pictures. They helped tremendously.

Here's the deal. There's Search (with its own Search tab) and there's Index.

In Search, the area is blank until you issue a Search by typing what you are searching for and clicking a button or pressing Enter. At that point the WebHelp scans all the topics and returns a list of topics containing the term(s) you searched for. You click the links and see the topics.

With the Index, you have a list of

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2010 Jun 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What is your output format?

Does the term only exist in the Index? If so, that's why. The term will also have to exist in the topic in order to be found by the search.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my topics I have words or sentences which I have tagged with bookmarks.

In general, the bookmark name is the same as the word (or words) that are bookmarked.

I created index keywords and linked them to the bookmarks. It looks like this:

Indexed Bookmark.jpg

The index built just fine - see snapshot below.

The search function on the index doesn't work at all for these keywords - am I mis-using bookmarks as keywords?

Thanks for your help!

Index Search.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I think I understand what is happening now. Thanks for the pictures. They helped tremendously.

Here's the deal. There's Search (with its own Search tab) and there's Index.

In Search, the area is blank until you issue a Search by typing what you are searching for and clicking a button or pressing Enter. At that point the WebHelp scans all the topics and returns a list of topics containing the term(s) you searched for. You click the links and see the topics.

With the Index, you have a list of pre-programmed keywords. The keywords often also exist inside the topics, but they don't have to be. For example, perhaps you sell a product that resembles an albatross. Or maybe some special symbol in the software would resemble a Happy Man. Now you wouldn't necessarily have a descripton in the text that actually reads "Happy Man" or "Albatross", but you could program some keywords that allowed the end user to find topics related to them by typing "Happy Man" or "Albatross" into the Index field.

In your case you seem to be reporting that the Index isn't automatically adjusting itself as you type so that the programmed keyword is listed. Using the example I cited earlier, the end user might type H A P and they see "Happy Man" magickally float to the top of the list. In this case they see what they want, click the entry and off they go without having to type the full "Happy Man" term out.

The Index field actually DOES work like this. But here's the twist. This type of automatically adusting to match what you typed against the Index Terms in the list will only occur for "Primary" level terms. The terms you pointed to seem to be "Secondary" level terms. What you need to do in order to allow the Index to work as you seem to be wanting is to also have the Secondary terms listed as Primary terms too.

This is actually more common than you might think. For example, I used to work as a Web Developer for a division of the company that employed me. Part of my job entailed using RoboHelp to develop and maintain knowledge bases. One of the Knowledge Bases was used heavily by the Field Services area. They needed to be able to find Customer information easily. They might locate using Customer Name, Customer Number or Customer Location. So I had a main Index reference of Customer Numbers. And all the Customer Numbers listed as Secondary terms. But the Customer numbers also existed as Primary terms in the event the rep began typing a Customer number into the field.

Hopefully I've understood the problem accurately and this better explains what is happening.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2010 Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now I get it!!

Very helpful - thanks!

Cheers,

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp