• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does my merged project display 2 toc for the first /startup project?

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2010 Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RH8 and windows 7 and generating Webhelp

When I generate my merged project I receive 2 toc for the first project. When I click on other merged projects the 2nd toc disappears and everything is fine.

Also, I can’t get back to my first/startup window.

Here is what I created:

Main Folder

Parent

Children

Project 1 (this is my startup/welcome page)

Project 2

Project 3

Project 4

In my Parent file the TOC contains New projects and looks like this:

Project 1

Project 2

Project 3

Project 4

The only topic in the parent file is blank and I put in the following redirect, per instructions on the grainge site:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url=./mergedprojects/project1/project1.htm" />

How do I stop the 2 toc on the first project/startup page and how do I make it display so I can access it later.

Any help is appreciated.

Pat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 08, 2010 Jun 08, 2010

The start page is not a topic. It is what opens the three pane window and the topic you see in that is the default topic.

By default RH takes the name of your project and applies that to the start page so if your project is called redrabbit, the start page will be redrabbit.htm.

A lot of authors then call the default topic redrabbit as that is the name of the project and it seems logical.

Trouble is when the wizard tries to use that as the default for the start page, the name is in use so the numbe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2010 Jun 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usual cause of this is when your redirect points to the start page instead of the default topic. They are not the same thing as covered on my site.

project1.htm is the default name RH applies to the start page where the default topic has been given the name project.htm. You can change the start page in the first page of the wizard. Try index.htm.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'm confused about the difference between a default and a start page.

In my example -

In the toc of my parent file the first new project is called Project1 and that's what I want to display when the merged files display. I also redirected to project1. Is this incorrect?

Is this the default or start page?

Is the default the parent file?

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The start page is not a topic. It is what opens the three pane window and the topic you see in that is the default topic.

By default RH takes the name of your project and applies that to the start page so if your project is called redrabbit, the start page will be redrabbit.htm.

A lot of authors then call the default topic redrabbit as that is the name of the project and it seems logical.

Trouble is when the wizard tries to use that as the default for the start page, the name is in use so the number 1 gets added.

That means you end up with redrabbit and redrabbit1. If you look in the wizard you will see the name of the start page, first field. You do not redirect to that, you redirect to the default topic which is further down the page in the wizard. The clue is the field is called Default Topic.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp