• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't we link to bookmarks in merged files?

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2010 Jun 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have 11 projects that are merged. We want to link to specific topics and bookmarks in the files. When we click the Hyperlink icon we can select from the files in the Select destination file dropdown but it only has the files for the project we are currently working in.

If we click Link to, we can only access the files and not the bookmarks. How can we link to the bookmarks.

thanks.

Pat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 08, 2010 Jun 08, 2010

Hi Pat.

You'll have to manually add "#bookmarkname" to the end of the link syntax (e.g. filename.htm#bookmarkname). Note that bookmark syntax is case sensitive. BTW if you want to see the ability to link to bookmarks added to a future release, can I urge you to add a feature request.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat.

You'll have to manually add "#bookmarkname" to the end of the link syntax (e.g. filename.htm#bookmarkname). Note that bookmark syntax is case sensitive. BTW if you want to see the ability to link to bookmarks added to a future release, can I urge you to add a feature request.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 2 of us working on files and we thought we could do this and thought we had done it once.

Can we keep the .xpj files in separate folders somehow and link between the folders?

I'm not looking forward to doing this manually.

Thanks.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2010 Jun 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is that the bookmark name is only held inside the individual .HTM files. The HHP file does have a list of the topic files but not the bookmarks used inside them. There is no easy way around this. Even if you share your output to a shared area and link to that you need to know the bookmark name. If you output WebHelp you could interrogate the source of the HTML to get this but with CHMs that is more difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for generated merged help but not for Adobe Air. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2010 Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where in this thread does it state your help output? Not in the original post and now you state AIR Help, browser or desktop AIR Help?

If you have problems with an output type, please state what it is in the post to help us help you.

I think you are working with browser AIR Help and I just set up a test with a link from a topic in one child project to a bookmark in another child project. It works just fine in browser AIR help.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I am outputting to Browser Air help, I have RH8, and Windows 7.

When I generate it works fine. But when I generate Browser Air there is a link, but when I click on it nothing happens. I am using the path plus the #bookmarkname. My path looks something like this:

../../../../../RHGenerate/mergedProjects/Smart Tai/Forms_files/031FormsPortal.htm#How_to_Access_Forms

Must I store it somewhere special for the Browser Air to work?

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create your link you are pointing to the generated output so RH is creating a link from the source file to the generated file.

See how to create links in my articles on merged help.

When you both start work, you need a copy of both projects. You must not work on your co-authors project but you need the copy so that you can create links with the right relative path.

Using me demo, you would both have the complete setup but you would only work on child 1 and 2 and your colleague on child 3.

Then you replace your child 3 with his/hers and generate the lot. You can both publish to the server if you prefere but periodically you replace your child 3 and then give your co-author a new copy of the whole lot.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, this is helpful.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it again and it worked. I'm guessing it was a path problem - I didn't select the path correctly.

Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp