7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2010 1:34 AM by aftertesla

AE CS5 and Nvidia Tesla

aftertesla Level 1

Hi,

I am wondering how Nvidia Tesla Cards could be registered in a

way that AE CS5 can use their GPU power. I know, by default they

are not used, but  Tesla Cards share the same architecture with

some of the supported Cards, thus it cannot be a deeper issue.

Best, aftertesla

• 1. Re: AE CS5 and Nvidia Tesla
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Tesla Cards share the same architecture with some of the supported Cards, thus it cannot be a deeper issue.

How so? Sorry, you are being naive! Anything that does not register as a normal graphics card cannot be used by OpenGL, plain and simple. That's all there is to say. AE does not use CUDA or any of that, so even remotely pondering upon using Tesla cards/ bricks is a waste of time. That aside, these things can only be addressed by including the proper NVidia libraries in your code and that at this point is very much up to whoever is using CUDA in his plug-ins and programs, which are not that many, either.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AE CS5 and Nvidia Tesla
            aftertesla Level 1

Well, thanks, but I am not sure about the fact that Tesla Cards cannot be used by OpenGL.

I recently saw how the new Arion Render registered a Tesla Card for use by OpenGL very explicitly,

possibly this was a wrong claim of that software.

Best, aftertesla

• 3. Re: AE CS5 and Nvidia Tesla
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Those renderers use CUDA, not OpenGL, which are completely different things.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: AE CS5 and Nvidia Tesla
                aftertesla Level 1

OK, you are probably much deeper into these things than I will ever be.

Thus,I apologize, but I do not really understand your first statement saying that

only  "normal graphics card" could be used. From what I was told Tesla Cards are

graphic cards with the only difference that they do not have a video output.....how can

OpenGL recognize this difference ???

Hope yuu are not (yet) annoyed....

• 5. Re: AE CS5 and Nvidia Tesla
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

A response to the general question:

If you want the After Effects team to add a piece of hardware to its development and testing plan so that the hardware can be officially supported, file a feature request.

• 6. Re: AE CS5 and Nvidia Tesla
                    aftertesla Level 1

Thanks, I sent a request

• 7. Re: AE CS5 and Nvidia Tesla
                      aftertesla Level 1

Well, I tried to figure out what the claim concerning the alleged essential

OpenGL support means.

In the realease notes for the current drivers for Tesla cards one can find that there

is a  "Support for OpenGL 3.2"

On the other hand I found articles saying, for instance, that the Mercury Playback

Engine for CS5 is CUDA-based (and I am aware that CUDA and OpenGL are quite differnt things)

Is it really that naive to believe that Tesla cards should be supported ???