1 2 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2010 5:26 PM by the_wine_snob RSS

Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project

ulua76 Community Member

Hello,

I'm new here, I just bought Premiere 8 to edit and creat home videos, but when I open Premiere and select new project, I can only get as far as naming my file. after that I get a blank grey screen with the menu bar. can't add my files or edit at all. any help would be much appreciated. oh and i'm running windows 7 home edition

Thanks,

ulua76

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
          nealeh Community Member

Essentials:

• Install all Windows Updates
          • Install latest QuickTime (currently 7.6.6)
          • Install latest graphics drivers from manufacturer's web site
          • Install latest sound drivers from manufacturer's web site
          • Cleanup your disk drive(s) and defragment them

If problem not solved then: Got a Problem? How to Get Started

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
            ulua76 Community Member

nealeh,

Thanks for the reply and tips, I have checked all that you have pointed out and all is up to date, also did a defrag. PrE8 still not working.

Here is a more detailed list of my issues followed by my system set up.

1) able to launch PrE8, select new project and name new project, after that I just get

a grey screen with the menu bar

2) Here is what I can and can't do with my menu bar

a) Under File I can select NEW, OPEN PROJECT, and EXIT.

Everything esle is greyed out

b) Under Edit, Clip, Timeline, Disc, Title, and Window - all options greyed out

c) Unde Help I can select Adobe Premiere Elements Help, Keyboard, How to

use Help, On-line Support, About Adobe Premiere Elements,

everttgubg else is greyed out

3) I can click on the House Icon which takes me back to the welcome screen

4) I get no project screen.

My System

Dell XPS720

Removed XP and Installed Win7 64-bit

CPU - Quad Q6600, 2.4, 8MB

Mem - 6G of DDR2 SDRAM

GPU - nVidia 8800GTX

Sound - XF-i Xtreme Music - Card is discontinued. Could not manually find

driver for win7, had win7 automatically find a driver.

HDD - 2 - 500G HDD with Raid 0 = 1TB of main drive

Pls. Advise if more info is needed

Thanks,

Ulua

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
              nealeh Community Member

Your system is very similar, but higher spec, to my own (W7-64, Q6600, 4Gb RAM, 2 x 500GB, nvidia 8800GT, X-Fi Gamer). I run PRE7 with virtually no problems so it is possibly a PRE8 issue.

To check a few points:

• Have you updated PRE8 to 8.0.1?
              • The latest nvidia driver is 197.45WHQL. Is the one you updated to?
              • The latest X-Fi Extreme Music driver is 2.18.0013. Is this the one you have?
              • How much free disk space do you have?

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                ulua76 Community Member

nealeh,

Thank's again

I do have the latest update for PrE8 - 8.0.1

Ran all windows updates

I do have the latest nVidia dirver for my video card

Thanks for the link to the latest driver for my sound card as I did not have the latest, now I do

I have 838GB of free disk space

I also tried uninstallig and reinstalling PrE8 same issue

Edit just noticed that after installing the latest dirver for my sound card, I don't have the opton

to change to 5.1 only 2.1

Thanks

ulua

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                  the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

just noticed that after installing the latest dirver for my sound card, I don't have the option to change to 5.1 only 2.1

This is interesting indeed. When a card supports 5.1, it would be uncommon for the mfgr. to not include that in the driver.

Now, to get my Realtek/Creative SB 24-Live to do DD 5.1 SS in PrPro and Audition, I had to go with ASIO4ALL, a free ASIO driver. Since installing, and pointing to it in all of my programs, that handle audio, I have not had one issue. That little free driver has been the secret to getting all sorts of equipment to work, from embedded audio-chips to some esoteric pro-sound stuff. It is the main "secret" on the Audition forum. Might be worth a try.

Now, though you lost the 5.1 in your chip, if that did not help PrE, then ASIO4ALL will probably not either, but might allow you to get good 5.1, otherwise. Do not forget to change Preferences>Audio Hardware in PrE to point to it, and also any other audio editing programs.

One question, are you running PrE as Administrator? That can cause issues, if one is not.

Sounds like you have enough free HDD space, so I think we can rule that out.

Video driver is probably ruled out.

What about Apple's QT Player? Do you have 7.6.6 (or later, if there is one)? If you do, and things are not working, you might want to look at rolling that back to 7.5.5, the "last known good" version with all Adobe programs. That is what I still have, as too many negative reports have come in on the 7.6.x versions. Two are known bad, and the jury is still out on 7.6.6, at least MY jury.

Are there any error messages, that you've encountered?

Just thinking about the possibilities, and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                    ulua76 Community Member

have a stupid question, how do I log in as an administrator, I am the only one using this PC, so my account is the only one, does this mean i'm the administrator?

thanks

ulua

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project

It might be, but the easiest test would be to go to Windows Explorer and the PrE folder. Find the Pre .exe file, and right-click on it, choosing Run as Administrator, then test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                        pre8dr

Hello,

I was searching for help and found ulua76's thread. It reads like I wrote it myself. All symptoms that I have are identical to this problem down to the entering new project name. The dialog box closes and the gray screen stays on indefinitely. I built this new pc to do home video editing back in February and installed PRE7 on it. All programs ran perfectly except PRE7, which ended in error: Sorry, an unexpected error has caused Adobe to shut down... I opened a support case with Adobe on March 2 and for nearly three months and 8 phone calls and multiple "escalations to level 1 support" it was not resolved. Last week I thought that I would try PRE8 since Adobe sales told me that PRE7 would not run on a 64 bit machine. After two calls to support on this version, I still have the situation described by ulua76. A couple things to note are 1) the organize button on the splash screen does work and 2) I have downloaded and installed the 8.01 update by running the .exe file. I cannot update through the PRE8 menu since I can never get to where the choice is not grayed out. I have checked for and installed all updates for Win 7, nvidia, on board high def 5.1 sound, and even backed down Quicktime 7.6.6 to 7.5.5 as Bill suggested. Still same result. Adobe support suggested disabling hyperthreading in the BIOS and in the nvidia control panel. Again no change. I am running adminstrator level account and have created a new user to check with no change. It is frustrating to have a new pc that does not run the the software that I built it for over three months ago. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Specs below.

Asus P6ZT

core i7 920 2.66Ghz

12 GB DDR3

Nvidia GeForce GTS 250

Pioneeer BDR-205 ATA

2-1 TB drives each partitioned to 500GB (C has 328 of 499 available; others have more avail)

Viewsonic VA902b

Windows 7 pro build 7600

Message was edited by: pre8dr Thanks, Dwayne

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                          ulua76 Community Member

Bill,

Thanks for the tips, I tried running the PrE.exe as administrator but still not working

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                            ulua76 Community Member

i'll give tech support a try also tomorrow and see what they can do, if they can't help me, i'll try to see if I can get a refund. it's a long shot but all I can do is try.

update,

Tried a few things that still did not work, uninstalled Photoshop 8, no help, signed out of my Adobe account, no help. I will completely uninstall and reinstall my program again, if not still not working will go to sleep and try again tomorrow.

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                              nealeh Community Member

You change the speaker configuration in either "Creative Console Launcher" or "Creative Audio Control Panel".

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

• 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project

Thank you for trying and for reporting. Not running as Administrator can cause all sorts of problems, so we just ruled that out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                  ulua76 Community Member

thats where I went and I don't have any options to change to 5.1 only 2.1

• 14. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                    nealeh Community Member

Creative Audio Control Panel:
                                    speakers.png

Creative Console  Launcher:

ENTERTAINMENT MODE

speakers2.png

AUDIO CREATION MODE

speakers3.png

GAME MODE

speakers4.png

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

• 15. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                      ulua76 Community Member

That is where I went, I don't have a drop down arrow to select any other configuration. I sent an email to Sound Blaster XF-i support and waiting for a reply from them.

Thanks

ulua

• 16. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                        ulua76 Community Member

ok just got off the phone with tech support was woking with him for over hr and half with no resolution, he told me to unistall the software creat and admin account and install the software in the admin account and see if it works if not to call them back and they will decide the next step

• 17. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                          pre8dr Community Member

Was that hour and a half spent with Adobe tech support or Sound tech? Adobe tech offered me the same solution- creating a new admin account. I got the same result as you. Their escalated level tech was to call me last night but never did. I was wondering if the spash screen with the organize, new project, and open project stays open behind the gray screen for you. When the gray screen opens I see two icons on the task bar, one for the splash, the other for the new project trying to open. If both are not supposed to show, maybe it is a programing problem of not releasing/closing the previous screen. I do not believe we are the only ones to have this problem. Let hope for a fix soon.

Thanks,

Dwayne

• 18. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                            ulua76 Community Member

yes hr and half with adobe. No I don't have the welcome screen running behind my Premiere Elements and I only have one I icon on my task bar.

I called them back today for round 2, the tech remoted into my PC so he could see what was going on, He could only see what was going on he had me

controll the pc. He had me go to start and in the search fileld he had me type %appdata%, Then open the Roaming Folder, Then open adobe folder, then premeir elements folder, then he asked me to cut the 8.0 folder and past it on my desk top, the he had me hold my shift key and launch premiere whle

still holding the shift key select new project then release the shift key then name my project, and it worked, he had me put in a few videos and try to burn it but it failed at the write stage at 96%, he said to fix the 96% error I have to update my DVD burner firmare. He told me to use windows media player

to burn the file and it worked. So after that was done I decided to close the program and test it again by creating a new file and this time it did not work

again. So he had me remove the 8.0 file agian and do the hold down shift procedure again and still did not work. I had to go out so I told the tech I would

call back again tomorrow for round 3. I hope we can K.O this issue in the next round. Spent another 2hrs with them today.

ulua

• 19. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                              pre8dr Community Member

I followed your steps with the same result. The first time a new project opened. I moved a clip to the timeline, rendered it, play it in the preview screen, and saved the project. I did not try burning a disk. After closing the program it would not reopen the project. I moved the 8.0 folder to the desktop and restarted as before and could not start a new project. I believe a tech had me do this a month or so ago with PRE7 before I upgraded. I had the same result back then. It would run once, but that was all. Adobe has yet to call me back.

Dwayne

• 20. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                ulua76 Community Member

I'll be calling them back tomorrow, if I ever get a fix i'll be sure to post it.

As for my XF-i issue, Tech support emailed me back saying that my card is an old card that was built during the early years of XP and that the driver

is not supported, they go on to tell me to uninstall the driver and to follow these steps to get the proper driver

1. http://support.creative.com
                                                2. Soundblaster  > X-Fi XtremeMusic
                                                3. Scroll down to Manual selection and Select English/Windows 7/All and hit Submit to filter the downloads.
                                                4. Download ,Save and Install driver and apps. Suggested to disable antivirus software before installation.
                                                5. After installation, make sure the soundcard is installed and listed properly in device manager. If installed properly it should show Creative SB X-Fi in device manager.

when I did this I got the same driver. so I emailed them back

• 21. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                  -Subbi Adobe Employee

Hello Ulua76,

Just recently I read about the Anti Virus "On Access Scan" feature interfering with Adobe Premiere Elements.
                                                  Do you by any chance have "On Access Scan" feature enabled in your Antivirus software ? If you do have this enabled, could you try disabling this and check your issue is resolved.

EM

• 22. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                    ulua76 Community Member

Editmachine,

Thanks for the tip, I'm at work right now, I will try it out when I get home and let you know how it went.

Thanks

ulua

• 23. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                      ulua76 Community Member

Editmachine,

You solved my issue and hopefully other users as well, I did what you said. I disabled Rreal Time Scannin in my McAfee and and opened a new project

and it loaded properly, tried it 3 more time and it all worked. Thank you, Thank you. atleast I don't have to call tech support again.

Mahalo,

ulua

• 24. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                        -Subbi Adobe Employee

Hello Ulua,
                                                        Good to hear that your issue is resolved.
                                                        I would try and start a new thread on the forum to highlight this Antivirus conflict.

EM

• 25. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                          pre8dr Community Member

Last night I disabled McAfee Real-time scan and experienced the same same success as ulua. I began reversing all the changes that tech support had me make like disabling hyperthreading in the BIOS, creating new admin accounts, and rolling back drivers to known "good" ones. None of the reversals had any effect. Apparently, the virus scan was the sole culprit. I'm not sure if that means it is an Adobe problem or a McAfee problem. Many thanks to ulua and Hunt for the posts, and to editmachine for the solution.

Dwayne

• 26. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                            -Subbi Adobe Employee

Hello Dwayne,

Thanks for coming back and sharing your findings. I have started a new thread on the forum highlighting this issue for the help of others.

http://forums.adobe.com/post!reply.jspa?thread=653769

I would suggest that you share your findings in that one for more visibility.

EM

• 27. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                              ulua76 Community Member

Yes, this forums is great the members here a cool and helpful, thanks to all for your help on this issue.

Thanks

ulua

• 28. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project

As I mention in this ARTICLE, all AV, spyware and malware sweeping, plus other intrusive programs should be turned OFF. I have just added a link to EditMachine's recent post on the issues with real time virus scanning. Just another reason to turn ALL of that sort of program OFF, before editing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 29. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                                  ulua76 Community Member

pre8dr,

Have you tired creating a project and burning it to a DVD, I have a new issue when burning my project during the writing stage it stalls at 96% then

get an error saying something like Device error-target dev is not suitable. I will have to try again and wirte the error down and may be start a new thread on this.

Thanks,

ulua

• 30. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project

This error message often occurs when the blank media is not good. It comes so late in the process, because the majority of the process is the Transcoding of the material, and the writing of working files, prior to the physical Burn. That is when PrE queries the burner and the media.

I strongly recommend Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden blank media. Brands such as Memorex, TDK, recent Ritek and ALL store brands should be avoided.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - can you try to Burn to Disk, and then use the great, free burning utility, ImgBurn to do the physical Burn?

• 31. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                                      ulua76 Community Member

I've been using TKD and just bought 200 Taiyo Yuden and both give same error. Could my burner be the issue, I have an old samsung sata burner

tsstcorp cddvfw sh-203b model. I havent had any issues burning dvd using Nero 10, windows media and DVD fab. I will try to see if there are any updated frimware

Thanks,

ulua

• 32. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project

If you are getting this error with T-Y discs, then I would next look for a firmware update for the burner from the mfgr's. Web site. Read the instructions carefully, if there is a newer version of the firmware, as different firmware installations require different operations. Might be as simple as just running an executable, or maybe much more involved. Read carefully, and follow the instructions to the letter.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 33. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                                          nealeh Community Member

I have an SH-203N that shipped with my PC and it was very unreliable until I upgraded the firmware. There have been four firmware updates for your drive, from http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/firmware/FWdownload/FWDownload.asp?product_code=&language_co de=&SearchMode=TOTALSEARCH&SearchWord=203b&image1.x=0&image1.y=0

sh203b.png

Cheers,
                                                                          --
                                                                          Neale

• 34. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                                            ulua76 Community Member

nealeh,

Thanks, I upgraded my firmware for my burner, but it still crashes with this error DEVICE ERROR - THE TARGET DEVICE ISN'T SUITABLE FOR USE

I have read that other people has solved this issue by deleting the stop marker. I'm not too sure as to what the stop marker is but they say it's a red line in the time line? I don't see 1 in my project. I'm still wondering if I still need a new burner as the newest firmware for my burner is 2yr old.

Thanks

ulua

• 35. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                                              nealeh Community Member

Red Lines are when PRE previews need rendering to provide good playback within PRE. It has no effect on final output as PRE always renders that during the Share process.

Markers are designated by triangles. A blue Main Menu Marker creates a new Title on the Main Menu Screen. A green Scene Marker creates a new chapter in your project, A red Stop Marker forces a return to the Main Menu.

Problems others have had with the Stop Marker is when they place one right at the very end of the video (unnecessary as reaching the end of the video functions as a stop marker anyway). The solution is to remove the Stop Marker from the end of the clip.

In the screen below the Main Menu, Scene Menu and first Stop Menu markers are fine. The second Stop Menu Marker should be deleted as it occurs at the very end of the video.

markers.png

Cheers,
                                                                              --
                                                                              Neale

• 36. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                                                nealeh Community Member

Drivers and Firmware are not really comparable. While drivers may be updated regularly to provide new features or support new devices, firmware upgrades are really only necessary to correct fundamental flaws (this is a somewhat simplistic view). So it doesn't really matter that your last firmware upgrade was two years ago.

However, although far better since updating the firmware on my SH-203N writer, I do still prefer my LG external USB drive for writing. Especially on dual layer disks.

drive.png

I suggest you borrow a USB writer and see if that solves your problem. If it does then go buy one.

Cheers,
                                                                                --
                                                                                Neale

• 37. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                                                  ulua76 Community Member

Well I called tech support again yesterday to see if they could help me fix my burn issue. No luck. At least I can burn my project to a folder then just

use Nero or fab to burn my video to dvd format. So my software is not a total lost.

I also fixed my audio issue last night, was playing day of defeat source and during my game lost my sound, So I went to control panel, hardware and sound, manage audio device. Found that some how my audio got switched from my XF-i card to my onboard audio. So I changed it back to my

XF-i card and by chance I clicked on the configure button and found I can change my sound from 2.1 to 5.1 there. still can't do it through crative control panel or console launcher. Not a problem though at least I can change it now.

ulua

• 38. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project

Interesting results, and at least you have the Audio issue sorted out. Thanks for reporting the location, and that partial success.

After the Burn to Folder, you might want to also look into the great, free burning utility, ImgBurn (scroll down past all the ads, to get to the ImgBurn Download), as it is about the best burning app. available.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 39. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Unable to start a project
                                                                                      ulua76 Community Member

Bill,

Thanks for the heads up, I will download the program as soon as I get home from work.

thanks,

ulua

1 2 Previous Next