Expand my Community achievements bar.

Connecting An Access Table to Populate Form

Level 1

I have created a form that I would like to populate certain fields from an access table. The whole process, from start to end is that code is kicked off in Access that will open the pdf form, populate the fields, then the form will be e-mailed out. This would happen for each row of data, so there would be multuple forms. I have managed to connect to the table using an ODBC connection, but I'm not sure that this will work for multiple rows of data. Can anyone give some guidance?

3 Replies

Former Community Member

You can move between rows of data in the database (you can even automate it). You woudl be able to email the form as it is (but the dataconnection information as well as the connecting to the DB will still be there so who ever opens the form will get errors beacuse they will not have the DB (you coudld write some complicated code to stop the errors but the connect information will still be there). You woudl NOT be able to automate the mailing of the form though. You coudl bring up the mail dialog but a user woudl have to hit the send key. This is for security reasons.

Hope that helps

Paul

Level 1

Is it possible the pdf could be saved with data populated but without the connection, instead of the receiver of the form having to connect to a data source to view the prepopulated data?

Former Community Member

You can only save to the pdf that you have opened. So as you need the information in the PDF to be able to connect to the DB  in the 1st place then when you save the file the information will still be there. As I said you can make it so the form will not connect whenit is opened ..but th einfo will still be there....and if someone knew what they were doing they could get access to the connect information.

paul