• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Odd, Green video in Adobe Premiere CS4?

Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2010 Jun 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! This has been happening to me a lot lately, and I really need a fix!

When editing my projects, I will have imported a lot of video files.

Before dragging those files into my timeline, I like to preview them.

However, sometimes, the video does not play.  The sound does, but all I see in the preview are random frames from other video files that I have imported. (Ex. Say I preview a video of a dog barking, which works.  Then, I try to watch a video of a cat meowing.  I hear the cat perfectly, but random frames from the dog video are all I see in the preview area.)

Random videos also turn green when previewd.  I will not be able to hear them, like last time, but the whole frame is green and I will not be able to see them. On the timeline they are black.

I usually solve this problem by restarting, but I have to get this project done!

I recently imported a WAV file and an mp3 file into my project. ***The video files are in MP4 video format.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q8400  @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7Ghz

Memory: 6142MB RAM

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4650

Everything is on my C:/ Drive.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the details of your source files? The more details, the better. What is your Sequence Preset?

When you say that everything is on your C:\, do you mean the OS, programs, media, Projects and Scratch Disks, plus the Page File, or are there more details of your I/O sub-system setup, that might be useful?

Also, the reference to "green" makes me wonder if this ARTICLE might be useful. Note: there are many links to other similar issues, so do follow all. the links. There are also some screen-caps in many of those linked threads, so you can see if that is similar to what you are encountering.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't find any place where it said "Enable GPU Playback."  Not sure where that is, and project still isn't working.

I'm gonna restart my computer now and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, the videos aren't green, for now. This is temporary.

I'm sure they will turn green again sometime.

I don't want to keep restarting my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything is on my C:/ Drive. Everything. No odd setup or anything.

I don't know what a sequence preset is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A sequence is where you tell Premiere that it is going to be editing Apples, not Oranges... look in the help file for project setting information

Also

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0
And even more hardware discussion http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum
Including this post about 3 possible builds http://forums.adobe.com/thread/598040?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Codecs: H.264
  2. Premiere Pro
    1. CS4
    2. English
    3. Updates applied--Most Recent
    4. Project/sequence settings--The defaults
  3. Operating System
    1. Windows 7 64 Bit
    2. Update/patch leve--Most Recent
    3. Installed language-- English
    4. Display resolution and color depth-- 1280 x 1024
  4. CPU type and speed-- Intel Core 2 Quad CPU 2.67 Ghz
  5. Amount of memory (RAM)-- 6 GB
  6. Video card
    1. Manufacturer -- ATI
    2. Model -- ATI Radeon 4650 HD
    3. Driver version-- Most Recent
  7. Number of monitors (displays) in use--1
  8. Audio card
    1. Manufacturer--Realtek
    2. Model--Realtek High Definition Audio
    3. Driver version--Most recent
  9. Each hard drive's capacity and space remaining C:/Drive-- 280 GB of 580 GB Remaining D:/ (Factory Image) Drive-- 2.07 GB of 14.06 GB
    1. Disk setup (partitions used, raid configuration, what is where  for OS/projects/media/scratch/audio)-- Default: C:/ Drive
  10. Hardware capture device????
    1. Manufacturer???
    2. Model???
    3. Driver version number???
  11. Capture software???
    1. Name???
    2. Company???
    3. Version???
  12. Comprehensive list of third-party plug-ins you installed.None
  13. Exact text of any error messages No error messages
  14. Explain clearly what you want to do, what you are doing and what the result is See OP
  15. Be sure to mention if it is something that worked before using  the same procedure-- Restarting My computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 13, 2010 Jun 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is just a crazy hunch...but try this and see if it doesn't fix it...

---------

go to control panel, go to system, select your device manager, drop down the system devices tab and disable high definition audio controller

-------------

Also, make sure you have the latest direct X version...

Rod

(this is a shot in the dark )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having only one physical HDD can cause all sorts of issues. This ARTICLE is the best that I have ever seen on I/O sub-system (HDD's) setup, that I have found.

Also, note that some of those articles in the earlier link are for PrElements, so some setting will be different. Read all the links, as many are specific to PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only one pleasant thing about this problem is to see again all these familiar and helpful people!

Yes I've just encountered this problem too. I have been on holidays and did not use my video camera this time. We had My Nikon P610, my phone HTC one and another phone, Samsung S4. No problem with Nikon's import, or HTC's, but the Samsung just did this, Sometimes it will play the clip entirely, others, it'll start, then come the 'martian' screen! I have not had the black one, but yes it did stress the system.

I have no problem to play the clip with MS. They are MP4, but as one of you said we know they're just containers and what they might contain may not be digestible for CS4 ! So although this thread says " not Answered" I guess Anne did answer it.  (and someone else as well). "Conversion" must be it. It's a pain but that's it. I think also conversion probably means loss of quality,  perhaps I'm wrong here. But as long as it's watchable, for me it's not a big worry since it's only memories.

...Oh well I just sent those clips to Window Movie Maker and it was reasonably useful as my "assistant" won't learn to take movies the right way with her phone so many had to be rotated! And needed a lot of trimming as well because of many unwanted take!

Then I saved the project "for computer" called ".wmv", (what else!) But PP CS4 gave me a smile and a thumb up. Of course rotated clips are tall and skinny but nothing to do with PP. Thanx again for getting me on the right track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thought that comes to my mind is that you're editing files that aren't well designed for editing.  (The MP4 extension supports that idea.)

So, stop trying to edit those files.  Ideally use only I-frame media from pro cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 and 5 edit mp4 natively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since MP4, much like AVI and MOV, is really more of a container than a single video format, it would not surprise me in the least if the veracity of your statement was entirely dependant upon what the MP4 file actually contains.  Premiere may well work perfectly fine with the MPEG2 media found in the XDCAM's MP4 files, but may not do as well with an MP4 downloaded off the Internet containing God knows what specific codec variation.

In this case, the symptoms are indicative of them containing something that Premiere just doesn't like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally would not use the "pro" moniker for something like that.  But more to the point, what is your point?  That camera records XDCAM media, which I agreed will work. My point was that it's very possible that not ALL MP4 clips will work.  Something downloaded off of YouTube, for example, could create problems for Premiere and produce the symptoms described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2011 May 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anybody found the solution to this answer?  I have the EXACT SAME problem, and have had it for over a year.  I don't know what the problem is.  Maybe my computer isn't powerful enough?  I also have everything on the 1 drive, so, maybe thats where my problem could be coming from.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

As noted above, the more info that you can provide, the easier it will be for others to remotely diagnose the issues. This ARTICLE will give you an idea of what info is needed, and give you tips on how to find some of it.

Please let us know a lot more about your system, your Source Files, your Sequence settings and the exact problems that you experience, plus when you experience them.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything on the C drive is not good practice but should

not make your footage green.

Is your graphics card up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the initial response to my question - I really appreciate it!  Everyone in this forum is EXTREMELY helpful, and I hope I can find a solution.  I have taken your advice and am currently going through all of the troubleshooting stages listed in the above, but, have not yet had any luck thus far.  I figured I would post here, while I continue to troubleshoot on my end.

Specific Problem:

I have several .mp4 video files in my project timeline that I captured via a Hauppauge HD PVR capture card.  When I load the project, only some of the videos do not load properly.  The thumbnail photos for the videos that don't load properly are simply green, and when I play it, only the audio from the clip properly plays.  The video is either just a green screen, or it is a black screen with random still images from OTHER video files I have in the timeline.  When I restart the computer, and re-open the project, the affected video files are different every time.  I have about 40 or so different clips in this project, and the ones that seem to get affected by this problem are the ones that are last to load.

Also, once the project is loaded, and I see that some of my video files are affected by this problem, the computer seems to really lag, and Premiere Pro has trouble operating.  Premiere Pro often gets the (Program Not Responding) message, and I have to force close it, and restart my computer, to ensure a fresh start.

Also, when this PP is having its problems, my whole computer slows down.  I have a widget on the desktop that shows CPU and RAM usage.  When PP is having its problems, the RAM meter goes up to 95 - 100%.

Green problem - screenshot.jpg

What I've Learned So Far:

I downloaded and ran the Sherlock Codec Detector and the Gspot Codec program, and have determined that my computer is missing the following codecs:

Broken Codecs

-------------

"MainConcept (Adobe2) AAC Decoder"

FileName       = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2daac.ax"

"MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Decoder"

FileName       = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2dsh264.ax"

"MainConcept (Adobe2) H.264/AVC Video Encoder"

FileName       = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2evh264.ax"

"MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Audio Encoder"

FileName       = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mceampeg.ax"

"MainConcept (Adobe2) MPEG Video Encoder"

FileName       = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\ad2mcevmpeg.ax"

When I click on each of the codecs, I get the following error message: "The driver file for this codec was not found. This probably means the codec was not unistalled properly".

In Gspot, I have similar results, and it says the file is missing for these codecs.

Do you guys think this is the problem?  If so, would it be a simple fix as to just download the codecs I am missing?

My System Info:

1. Codecs - avc1
    1. Name: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
    2. Status: Codec Status Undetermined (what does this mean)
  2. Premiere Pro
    1. Version number - CS4 version 4.2.1
    2. Installation language - English
    3. Updates applied - Not sure
    4. Project/sequence settings - XDCAM EX > 1080i > XDCAM EX 1080i 60i (HQ)
  3. Operating System
    1. Name - Windows 7 Professional
    2. Update/patch level - ??
    3. Installed language - Enlgish
    4. Display resolution and color depth. - 1920 x 1080, not sure on color depth
  4. CPU type and speed - Intel(R) Core(TM)2  Quad CPU    Q8400 @2.66GHz    2.67GHz
  5. Amount of memory (RAM) - 6.00 GB
  6. Video card
    1. Manufacturer - NVIDIA
    2. Model - GeForce GT 330M
    3. Driver version - 8.16.11.8959 (3/15/2010)
  7. Number of monitors (displays) in use - 1
  8. Audio card
    1. Manufacturer - Realtek
    2. Model - Realtek High Definition Audio
    3. Driver version - 6.0.1.6005 (12/16/2009)
  9. Each hard drive's capacity and space remaining
    1. 301 GB free of 455GB
    2. No partitiaons
    3. EVERYTHING is on the C drive - OS / Project / Media
  10. Hardware capture device
    1. Manufacturer - Hauppauge
    2. Model - HD PVR
    3. Driver version number - 1.5.6.1

Capture

software

1. Name - ArcSoft
  2. Company - TotalMedia Extreme
  3. Version - Copyright 2007?

No Error Messages

The video files I am using are all .mp4 files that were obtained from the capture card, that were originally puleld from a DirecTV HD DVR satellite receiver.  From Gspot, one of the video's information is as follows:

3gp4: 3GPP Media (.3GP) Release 4

- isom: MP4  Base Media v1 [IS0 14496-12:2003]

Recommended Display Size: 1920 x 1080

Created: 2011 Apr 05   11:54:37

Modified: 2011 Apr 05   11:54:37

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions.  Please let me know if I can provide any other information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Premiere does not like these particular mp4's (due to the capture card) might want to convert them first into something Premiere likes.

http://www.squared5.com/

The broken codes is a false report, you can disregard that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip Ann - which file format would you recommend converting to?  I could give this a try, but, if possible, I would rather not convert all of my files, as I have nearly 9 GB of video, spread over 85 files.

My capture software is capable of capturing in .m2ts, .ts, and .mp4.  I chose .mp4 because that is what I was familiar with.  In the future, would it be advisable to capture in either of the other two formats?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just downloaded the MPEG Streamclip from Squared5.com, and am running into an issue with my files.  As soon as I select Open File, and select one of my videos, the program crashes and I get the following error message:  "MPEG Stremclip has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

Bummer.

I wonder if something is up with the way these video files are encoded.  Thoughts on this or any of my problems anybody?  Thanks again,

-Taylor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please start a separate topic to discuss the inner workings of MPEG Streamclip.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2011 May 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing - I'll start a new post to talk about the MPEG Streamclip.

Any advice on my original problem is still MUCH appreciated.  Thanks so much everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2011 Aug 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar issues with Premiere CS5 and After Effects CS5 - when  handling a lot of clips some turn green in a random fashion just like in the screenshot by  tpatterson319. Then I converted all my source clips to DV-AVI  (uncompressed) and the problem was gone. My source clips were quicktime. I haven't had problems with h.264 source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines