• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge CS5 crashes repeatedly (CS4 did too)

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2010 May 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A typical workflow for me is to open 4-5 raw files (.dngs)  in Camera Raw from Bridge, edit them, save them as tiffs, return to Bridge, and move the raw files to a sub-folder. My problem usually arises when I try  to move the raw files. Bridge moves them, but at the same time it crashes. I can move 1 file at a time without crashing, but not 2 or more.

I hoped CS5 would solve this problem, but it hasn’t. I've trashed my prefs, several times. I've purged the cache, several times. I've changed my openGL settings in Photoshop to Basic. Each thing I try works for a short time (meaning that for about an hour I can move 2 .dngs at  a time into subfolders after editing/saving in Camera Raw). Then it stops working, and I’m back to repeated crashes.

I’m running Photoshop CS5 x64 in Windows 7, with 12 GB of Ram, an i7 quad-core processor, and an ATI Radeon 4870 graphics card. Photoshop CS4, and now CS5, work like a dream; and so does Camera Raw. I know Bridge can’t see most of that RAM, but I'd really like it to work for me as well as it did in CS3, on a much older, slower machine.

Is this a problem other people have had? I haven’t been able to find much about it in the forums or Google, only a solution involving an nVidia graphics card, which I don't have. Oh - I've got the latest drivers for my graphics card, etc.

Mary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

To change compatibility mode to Windows 7

• right click the bridge icon

• scroll to properties to get the adobe bridge cs5 properties box

• go to the compatibility tab, in the compatibility mode section

• select windows 7 from the drop down menu

• check run this program in compatibility mode in the check off box.

• Select apply and exit.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "crashes"? Freeze/hang, blue screen, error message, program exits? Are there any messages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get a window that says:

Adobe Bridge CS5 has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program.

Bridge goes pale;   I click 'Close the program', and then restart Bridge. It always restarts.  There are often about 3 bridge icons showing in the sys tray when I do the forced close, even though I had only opened one window. When I mouse over them, they vanish.

In Windows Applications Log in Event Viewer, I get:

Faulting application name: Bridge.exe, version: 4.0.0.529,

time stamp: 0x4b963c03

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0,

time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x6f600072

Faulting process id: 0x1b3c

Faulting application start time: 0x01cafab47b375d5f

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS5\Bridge.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 6aca1fc1-66a8-11df-b030-002354f2c8c0

Only the app start time and the report ID vary.  Unfortunately, I know enough about Windows to open the Event Viewer, but not enough to interpret or act on what I see.

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if Bridge uses the 12 gigs of RAM or HD to make the move of Raw files.  If it uses the HD perhaps it can not find enough contiguous space to move 3 files at once.  You may have enough free space, it is just fragmented.  In all your efforts have you tried to defrag and check on availalbe space?  Close programs and delte temp files with some utility first before defragging..

Also, check the PS scratch file, as if computer has been crashing there may be huge temp files there.  They are supposed to be deleted by PS on startup, but not always the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're getting an Access Violation error, which can happen in a number of situations. I doubt it's anything to do with Bridge; it's more likely a symptom that something is wrong with your system.

Here's a few things to check: anti-virus software, free space, remove temporary files, check disks for faults, update operating system and device drivers. It's also worth looking at what other processes are running, as they may be interefering with Bridge's file operations. If your system is unstable, you can test it with software like Prime95, and rule out any hardware problems too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2010 May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt, Yammer  I've been a while getting back about this, because your responses gave me several jobs to do.   To answer your suggestions first:  -- I have 75 GB free on drive C, where Bridge is, and it's never more than 1% fragmented: I defrag all 5 drives automatically every week, and delete temp files on all of them.  -- The PS scratch file is a dedicated 300 GB drive, also completely defragmented, and with 275 GB free.  -- My OS and device drivers are almost always up to date or nearly so.  -- I've checked other running processes, and run Bridge with everything turned off that can be turned off: no difference.  -- Since I got your posts, my computer guru has spent several hours checking my system, including stress-testing the memory and CPU.   -- My system isn't unstable: Bridge is the only program giving me problems. It doesn't cause the computer to crash; Bridge just abruptly closes with the error message I reported. If I immediately open it again, it works normally - until I try to drag/drop a file to another folder.  -- However, though my machine has a clean bill of health, the problem may be some interaction between Bridge and Windows 7, or with my particular system, because I can't reproduce the problem on my laptop, where the Bridge installation and customizations are identical, but running under 32-bit XP SP2.  I re-tested Bridge after today's update; the problem remains. I've sent a bug report to Adobe.  Thank you both for focussing my attention on the things I needed to check out before sending a bug report.  Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 13, 2011 Aug 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mary,

Did you ever get your problems fixed?

I have since discovered that the key to event log is the Faulting Module.  In your case it states Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0  Here is where the problem lies.  You have to figure out what this unknown piece of software is and update it or delete it.

I know you have probably moved on, but it might help others with similar problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having the same crashing  problem when I drag or copy/paste a photo between folders in bridge.  I am using windows 7 and CS5.  I previously had CS3 and bridge would occassionally crash but I can't remember the exact circumstances. I never upgraded to CS4.   I just uninstalled and reinstalled photoshop and that didn't help.  I somehow think it may have something to do with Topaz detail2 plugin, even though its only used in PS and not bridge. Uninstalling that is the next thing I will try.    I never had a problem with bridge in CS2 or CS3 until I started using Topaz plugins.  Any other suggestions?

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Bridge.exe

Application Version: 4.0.2.1

Application Timestamp: 4bff9363

Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 32726568

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be video card or driver also.  Make sure drive is updated.

What video card are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My husband took a look for the correct  nvidia update and installed it.  It made

not difference.  I tried to get the 4.0.2 update  from Adobe and got an error message.  Going thru PS it said all my apps were current.  No updates needed.  Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is most likely a underpowered video card, software conflict

not enough ram, too small of a page file, insufficient cache space, fragmented hard drive, or some combination of those.

I am afraid I can not read the crash report either.

It is suspicious that you say the crashes started when you installed Topaz detail2 plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2010 Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a relativly new video card that supports 2 monitors, 8 gig of ram, 1/2 tb hard drive, an unfragmented h/d  etc.  My husband is an engineer formerly of Bell Labs where he was the technical lead for At&Ts suitcase size computer- no such things as laptops in those days.  He is an electronics engineer with a Ph.D.  My computer has it set as it should to work with PS and large files. I have uninstalled Topaz Detail tried Bridge with the same effect and reinstalled after downloading a new file from them. Topaz says they addressed all of the issues with CS5 and 64 bit.  It seems that in bridge copy and paste, dragging to a file to a new location and right click and copy to all make bridge crash (gray out screen and note it has stopped working). It does move or copy and paste the file b/4 crashing and Bridge reopens fine.  I also get the little bridge icons in the tray and mousing over them removes them. That just started yesterday.  I have all of the CS5 updates installed.  I even uninstalled CS3 just in case there was conflict there. I have no issues with other applications on my computer.  So now what?  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it crash if you choose "move file" rather than dragging it?  It may be someting in the OS that casuses the problem.  Just sounds like a memory, hd, or page file problem.

Do you have your computer loaded up with temp files?

You could try to reset preferences by pressing and holding the Ctrl key while starting Bridge.  You should get a reset window, choose all 3 options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt,

Yes, move file also crashed bridge.  But resetting the bridge preferences did that Trick!!!   I will be forever grateful for your help.  I use move and copy photos all the time in Bridge and workflow was awful without it.

Thanks again,

Lois

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2010 Jul 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<<But resetting the bridge preferences did that Trick!!!>>

I've tried everything to get rid of this problem, so I said to myself "might aswell reset the bridge preferences; it might 'do the trick' for me too."

How wrong I was!  It worked for all of 4 moves between folders, then back to crashing every time that I try to move or copy images from one folder to another.  All updates are installed as at today.

Why can't Adobe admit that Bridge CS5 is broken?  Bridge CS4 never had any problems moving files on the self-same Windows 7 PC.  So why?

Everything else in Photoshop works as it should.  Like someone said, I was never a great fan of Bridge, but I cannot do without a browser.

If you can't give us a decent one please omit it altogether from Photoshop, cut the price, and let us buy a decent app to replace it.  Or go back to the drawing board with Bridge.  ASAP!

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2010 Jul 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all interested parties:

I had exactly the same problems with Bridge crashing (Microsoft message "this application has to quite") on drag'n'drop or move/copy files from one Bridge CS5 folder to another.   I also got  the three "ghost" Bridge icons in the Windows system tray exactly as reported by the original author of this issue.  I'm using a 32bit SP machine with lots of disk, ram, good graphics card, drivers updated, etc.

Hooray!  This troublesome problem was MAGICALLY SOLVED by following the advice of a wise forum contributor to reset Bridge preferences by starting Bridge with the cntrl key down, and checking all popup boxes.  Many thanks and eternal gratefulness!  I hope this goes into the official Adobe troubleshooting FAQ, as it was obviously difficult for several folks to track down.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2010 Aug 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked for your Robert.

But will someone give a solution to those who are still having the same problem after having tried ALL the suggestions here?  Please?

And another thing... why does the cursor not show when writing on this forum?

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2010 Sep 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

I hope you have found a solution to the crashing Bridge by now.  For me, the problem emerged again after I had fixed it a while back with the preferences reset.  Once I recalled that solution, I did it again.  Presto once again.

It's troubling, though, that Adobe would let this problem persist, possibly for lots of users regardless of what Windows platform they're on, or what video card they have. The phenomenal architects and programmers at Adobe who can bring us features like the content_aware stuff surely could work through this problem and issue an update.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert,

No, I have not found a solution.  My Bridge crashes as soon as I even hint at moving a file or folder by dragging.  I have given up!

I can't just keep resetting the preferences, even if it did work for more than a few hours.  I envy those who can use Bridge without

problems.  The only times I try to move/copy files is after some update, but there have been none so far that have cured the problem

for me.  I am obliged to use a handicapped piece of software, working around this deficiency as best I can.

I just don't swallow the suggestion that something is awry on my system.  Every single program that I have installed (including of course

Photoshop itself) works perfectly, every time.  So why Bridge?  There, you got me started again

Stay well,

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2011 Feb 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt....

Resetting Bridge by pressing and holding down CTRL then checking off all three options did the trick and Bridge is no longer crashing.  However....this wiped out all my Key Words.  This isn't a solution for the long term if Bridge is going to have to be reset periodically.  I can reset the work flow but there were thousands of pictures who had key words attached to them.

I have Light Room 4.  I do not know how to use it but are there these crashing problems with LR?  If LR doesn't crash then I will learn to use and switch over.   Comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 25, 2011 Feb 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences will not affect the keywords.  They are embedded on the image.

Check edit/preferences/thumbnails.  Look in additional lines of metadata and make sure you have a checkmark for show keywords.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think its Topaz. When i bought my new laptop and installed CS4, Bridge

crashed after a while like it always does.

Only my anti-virus was the only other program installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I havn't read all the post reply's so sorry if this is a repeat.

im run win7 64bit pc 6gig ram...

also CS5 and most of the topaz plugins.

no crashing my end.

i would disregard your concerns with bridge crashing and the topaz element to your issues

as topaz isnt part of the bridge application.

bridge is effectively a piece of software sepereate from the photoshop software which is running your topaz plugin.

im no fan of bridge, though i have to say most of my issues were resolved after the bridge update released recently.

not sure whether you have upgraded bridge yet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't see how the plugin would affect it either, but on several occassions bridge would crash just after I used topaz detail in PS.  Please see my last post to Curt, the problem is resolved.  Thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines