• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

List of ADE supported character entities?

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a list of all the XHTML character entities supported in Adobe Digital Editions? I have an .epub book of poetry that uses a lot of   (em spaces) which just render as a question mark (?) in ADE. Trying to figure out my options, but surprisingly, can't seem to find a source.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that ePubs do not support the HTML Entity-decimal ( ). Try replacing it with the HTML Entity-hex ( ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2010 Jun 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea laurachu. I went ahead and did a test, and it turns out that ADE doesn't support thin spaces, en spaces, or em spaces whether they're expressed in dec or hex. (Looks like every other character is supported in both dec and hex.) So for my needs, looks like I'll use multiple non-breaking spaces, or CSS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 23, 2010 Jun 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am looking for a list of non-supported characters to share within my organization. I'm not easily finding one location.  Did you have any luck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TM1970, I ended up making a sample EPUB with various characters and typle styles that I could then upload into ADE and other readers to test the rendering. I posted it on our website if you'd like to download it at: http://www.holartbooks.com/documents/miscellaneous/EPUBStyleGuide.epub But basically, ADE seemed to support everything but the three spaces -- thin space, en space, em space. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Greg. I also got my hands on a list of what characters are/are not supported from a third party vendor. Let me know if you would find that information useful (same idea as what you've done: an epub listing many characters in ade and you can see what characters are not supported).

Your quick response is most appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd be interested to see the list as well, if you could email it to info at holartbooks.com? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines