Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Resource is not visible in workbench Aplication View

Level 7

Hi,

When i write any file into the repository from Java API or Dotnet services using writeResource(), then I am not able to see this resource from Application View in Work bench.

Though i am able to read the resource using API but not able to open it from Work bench.

Can any one tell me why this is happening???

Regards

Sunil

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

You'll only be able to modify files that are under the Application folder in the repository using Workbench. The main Application folder in the repository is kind of Workbench's space.

If you have a file outside of that Application folder, it'll show up in the Resource view.If you want to modify it, you'll have to import it in an application. You can right-click on an application in the Application view and select Import/Resource and select the file you want to import.

Once the file is imported in an application, you'll be able to modify it using Workbench (but you're going to modify the version of that file that's now under the Application folder and not the original one).

I hope this is not too confusing.

Jasmin

View solution in original post

23 Replies

Level 10

The Application view is not a view to the repository.The content from the different applications are stored in the repository, but you can have other items in the repository that don't belong to an application and they won't show up.

What you can try is to use the Ressource view instead of the Application view. This way you'll see the ressouces that don't belong to an application and perhaps you'll see your items.

Jasmin

Level 7

Jasmin,

So Can i modify and same the file which is not visible in Application View, but visible in resource View.

Right now when i write any file in above application folder, i am able to see it but not able to open the file.

It shows message (screen shot)resourceView.JPG

Actually i want to open and edit a file in workbench if i write any file in to repository using API.

Regards

Sunil

Level 7

And I want to version it after editing

the file

Like we do checkin check out

Correct answer by
Level 10

You'll only be able to modify files that are under the Application folder in the repository using Workbench. The main Application folder in the repository is kind of Workbench's space.

If you have a file outside of that Application folder, it'll show up in the Resource view.If you want to modify it, you'll have to import it in an application. You can right-click on an application in the Application view and select Import/Resource and select the file you want to import.

Once the file is imported in an application, you'll be able to modify it using Workbench (but you're going to modify the version of that file that's now under the Application folder and not the original one).

I hope this is not too confusing.

Jasmin

Level 7

Jasmin,

that is fine if i import it Application view.

I am able to edit it if i import it to application view.

And i also learned that editing of a file will happen only in Application view. But I want to view and open a file which is written in Application folder.

Why I am not able to see any file if i write it to application  using Java API. I want to edit a file which is written in to resource using Java API.

From the readresouce service i am able to read it. But on workbench it is not visible. If it is not visible then how can i update it.

Please reply...

Regards

Sunil

Level 7

Basically, I am developing application in Using Java API to read a resource from one server and want to migrate it to another server.

On another server, the content should be visible to User. User can modify using workbench.

Please let me know if my question is not clear...:)

Level 10

If you want to use Workbench to modify the files, then they will need to be saved under the Application folder, otherwise Workbench won't be able to modify them.

Are you able to write files to the Application folder?

Jasmin

Level 7

Jasmin,

Yes, i am able to write a resource under Application folder, but it is not visible.

But when i test it using readresouce process, i am able to read it when i invoke it.

I am also able to read it using repositoryClient.readResource()  Java API.

Regards

Sunil

Level 7

I just want to see it in tree structure and i want to be able to open it.

I am sure if i am able to see it in application folder on Application View tab, then I will be able to Modify it also. But i am not able to see it under Application foder in Application View tab.

Level 7

even i am not able to fetch this file on my local system when i simply drag and drop the application folder,

I am not able to see it when i check out in my default working folder also

Level 10

Try to synchronize your application. Remember the application view shows you a local version of the files. If you add a file to the repository, you need to synchronize to get the latest version of the application's content from the server.

Jasmin

Level 7

Jasmin,

I have syncronize it but  it is not appearing.

Regards

Sunil

Level 7

Even though the local copy is not appearing/downloading in default Working Folder.

~

Sunil

Level 7

Jasmin,

Can you please help me to get out of this issue. Please take other employees help if possible..its really very critical...

thanks in advance

Regards

Sunil

Level 10

Can you try to add a  file that's not a form type? Maybe a jpeg or text file to see if this works. Those file types don't have any DCI associated with them, and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with that.

Jasmin

Level 7

Jasmin,

I did not try with jpeg file but i have tried with text file and this text file was visible.

Tommorrow i will check with jpeg file but text file worked fine.

what is the issue with xdp and pdf files???

Regards

Sunil

Level 10

I'm pretty sure it's because of the DCI. I you add and XDP in an application in Workbench and then copy it back to your desktop, you'll get two files. The XDP and a dci file. The dci file is created by workbench automatically when it adds the xdp to the repository. If you manually add the xdp through the repository interface, it probably doesn't create the associated dci file and that prevents it to be displayed properly in Workbench.

Can you try to add a dci file along with you xdp to see if that works?

Jasmin

Level 7

Jasmin,

No it doesnot work.

What i did..

1. I read the file which was already visible and wrote it to another folder.

2. then i read _dci file also and wrote in the same folder..

but no achievement..

regards

Sunil

Level 7

Jasmin,

I did a mistake there. Actually when i write any file either .txt or jpg file. Both the files are not appearing in Application View. When i syncronize it , even i dont find the files on my local system.

Both txt and jpg files are there in the folder under Applications but there is no file _dci as it got created for pdf and xdp.

Conclusion : When i write a file (txt,jpg,pdf and xdp) using java api, neither of it is visible in Application View tab. And _dci files are not automatically got created for txt and jpg file.

Regards

Sunil

Level 10

Ok,

One last thing. Are you putting it under Applications, but then also under a sub folder that corresponds to the application you want to use in Workbench?

If this doesn't work maybe we can try a different approach. What about if you export the assets you want in an LCA an import that LCA on another system. It'll put the files in the right spot. You can use the java API to export and import a lca.

Jasmin