• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I generate .hlp files

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just upgraded to Frame 9 (from 7.1) and RoboHelp 8. Prior to the upgrade, I was using WebWorks to generate my .hlp files - is there a way to generate .hlp and .cnt files with RH8?

Thanks in advance!

Debby

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

WinHelp can only be generated from RoboHelp for Word, not from RoboHelp HTML.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter. Would RoboHelp for Word be compatible with Frame? (I'm guessing probably not.) So, as I see it, my options are:

1. Continue using Frame 7.1 and WebWorks until I can convince our developers to move to HTML for our integrated help

2. Install RH for Word, if it is compatible with Frame - is there any kind of documentation on using a Frame book to generate help files in RH Word?

3. None of the above, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Debby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your developers seriously still issuing WinHelp? Put a calendar in front of them showing 2010.

You refer to a HLP file which is WinHelp but WebWorks sounds like a tool for producing web based help formats. You do mean WinHelp?

No RH for Word does not work with FM.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL about the developers, didn't know you had met them.

WebWorks was actually packaged and integrated with Frame 7, and is a Windows help file tool. (I just use it, didn't name it :o). It generates .hlp and .cnt files. The .cnt files can be opened and edited directly with Microsoft Help Workshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they realise that under Vista and Windows 7 your end users have to download the viewer for this type of help? They cannot distribute the viewer.

Sounds like you are stuck with FM and WebWorks.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they do know that - I had to add a blurb to our ReadMe files for that!

Thank you for your feedback - I appreciate your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2010 Mar 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Sounds like you are creating 32 bit WinHelp files. If you want to switch to 16 bit WinHelp files, the viewer is already present on Vista and Windows 7, so no download would be needed and WinHelp would still work.

Whether WebWorks allows you to choose between 16 and 32 bit WinHelp files is another matter... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2010 Mar 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick.

The problem is that newer versions of Frame have replaced WebWorks with RoboHelp, and RH creates html help rather than WinHelp.

Debby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with WinHelp, except that I am starting with a Word file. I have TCS2, but I don't see the any RH for Word. Am I out of luck?

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben

When you installed TCS2 there was an option not to install RH for Word, sounds like you took that option.

There is a TechNote on Adobe's site covering how to add it later as you don't get the option if you reinsert the disc. You might want to uninstall and reinstall to get that option.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check first in Program Files. Look under Adobe > TCS and see if you did install RH for Word. It's possible you did and then deleted the icon.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2010 Jun 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Peter, I checked the Program Files and it's not there. Looks like I'll be re-installing. Happy that I don't have to revert to an older RH version though. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you will be able to resolve your issue. In my case, I will

have to look to products other than Adobe in order to fulfill our

obligations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Debby

I'm assuming that if you have Frame and RoboHelp you are using the Technical Communication Suite? (TCS) If so, you should have RoboHelp for Word available. However, I'm not sure how that works. Is Frame capable of producing a Microsoft Word document or RTF file?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Rick, I'm using TCS. RH for Word was not installed, but I can hunt down the install DVD from our IT group to get it.

Frame cannot produce a Word doc, but will output an RTF file. So if I am reading between the lines correctly, you're suggesting to output from Frame > RTF and then import the RTF back into RH for Word to compile the help files?

Thanks,

Debby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Debby,

I think that would work. I just uninstalled/reinstalled TCS2 and included RH for Word. I'm going to try in a few, but, in the meantime (it took about 3 hours to uninstall/reinstall TCS2), I was able to use Doc-To-Help on another computer to generate .hlp files.

This thread helped a lot! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2010 Apr 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple calls to Adobe support have been unsucsessful in resolving this. We can't be the only company that has upgraded from Frame 7.1 (with WebWorks Pro integrated) to Frame 9 with RH8.

Has ANYBODY out there faced this? What did you do?

TIA-

Debby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are from WinHelp, which is really old - I don't think any new help builder package generates it anymore. You can import old WinHelp projects into RH8 to convert them, but they aren't a Single Source Layout anymore to be generated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe WebWorks did support the HLP output but it has never been a RoboHelp HTML output. RoboHelp for Word still produces this format but, as Jeff says, it is dated.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

And I'm doubtful that Frame or RoboHelp for Word have any sort of connection. That's what is really needed here. An ability for RoboHelp for Word to pull in a Frame document in order to regurgitate .HLP format.

Can Frame create a DOC file?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM9 can produce an RTF file that Word could pick up, but I'd be thinking about changing my help output if all my source docs were in Frame. Seems kind of kludgy to go FM > RTF > Word > RH for Word > WinHelp when with TCS2 you could go FM9 > RH8 HTML > WebHelp/AIR/CHM/FlashHelp relatively painlessly <grin & wink

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp