1 2 Previous Next 59 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2018 5:44 AM by Steve Werner

Wrong file name when exporting to pdf

Diva14

CS3 on mac

When I export my file to a pdf it keeps the old file name. Is there a setting that I am not aware of that I need to change. It only happens on certain files, not all. I get customer files in all the time and change the file names and would like my pdf's to reflect the new file name, without having to rename the pdf. The page information is correct that is stamped on the pdf.

• 1. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

PDF export uses the name of the file up until the point where a user changes the name of the PDF before export, then saves the file after the export is done. That changed name is then written into the file and used. If you want the filename used for the PDF, export to .inx, then open that and do a Save As to the filename you want to use.

• 2. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
            Diva14 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion. It works, but it I still don't understand why the

PDF name isn't the same as my file name. I'm not sure that I explained this

well enough, so here goes again:

Open customer file and save it with a new name.

Make my changes and then export as a PDF. When I export the customers old

file name appears as the file name not the new file name. I open files and

resave them with different names all of the time and only certain files

react this way.

• 3. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf

Those files are the ones where somebody previously changed the name for the PDF export and then saved the file. If you always accept the default name (which is the filename), or don't save and close the file after doing a "renamed" export, the new name is not written into the file. Once there, though, it stays withthe file until you strip it out (in this case by exporting to .inx).

• 4. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You explained it fine.

This just the way it is. The PDF name is saved with the file and when you do a save as, the last PDF file name is saved along with it.

As already explained the only way to keep the file name is to always accept the PDF name default.

Bob

• 5. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                  Stix Hart Level 5

In my experience you can reset the export name to be sticky without the .inx export, just rename it on export to exactly the same name as the Indesign file itself then save it.  Then it will always export to that name, and if you change the name of the Indesign file or do a save as with a new name it will automatically pick up on that new name.

• 6. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                    ShaneH Level 1

It seems like all the answers here are just making excuses for an obvious oversight on behalf of the programmers. This is an extremely aggravating bug, and it hasn't been addressed in the five years that this post has existed and several versions later.

In my corporate workflow, we frequently recycle previous InDesign files as templates. Even if we "save-as" the .indd under the desired new name, somehow the old name sticks when going to export PDF. This causes a lot of unnecessary re-typing of file names, problems and re-saves in a fast-paced environment. Little stuff like this adds up in the course of a day.

I'm a no-nonsense kind of guy, calling it as I see it — on a daily basis. Please, Adobe, fix this.

4 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                      timsnapabbotsford Level 1

Well put Shane. I second this.

• 8. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                        creatureworks Level 1

What about those of us who rely on the custom PDF name for our workflow? For me personally, I would hate it if the PDF file name reverted back to the same name as my ID file instead of remembering the name I wanted for PDFs. Remember that just because it doesn't work the way you want it to doesn't mean it's a bug.

That said, you could suggest the ability to change this preference at the file level. Adobe feature request form: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 9. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                          ShaneH Level 1

InDesign is still doing it, five years later. I came across it again today. I can't think of any instance, in any sort of workflow, where this could be considered a feature and not a bug.

• 11. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                            ShaneH Level 1

We've got around 2,500 PDFs on a file server at any given time, from where our liaison pulls and forwards to clients. If the exported filename is wrong (old filename from a different project), they have to come back to our department — and these interruptions add up.

I hope someone understands where this can be problematic for high-volume environments. See #6 above.

• 12. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Clean up via IDML.

This is scriptable.

You can do it automatically with several tools, like from Zevrix.

• 13. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                ShaneH Level 1

As shown here, I have clearly already saved the .indd file as 3449BrooklineDr_UC_PC. I'm finished and and need to export a PDF proof under the same name... because the project name of the PDF should be the same as the InDesign file. Is there something wrong with that logic? 

But InDesign has other ideas: "NOPE... we're going to suggest you export the PDF with the name of the old 'Mills' project! How's that?"

I'm still waiting for someone on this forum to explain to me how this is of any use to anyone. I'm going to keep this post active.

Also, I don't feel that we should have to download some script or plugin to accomplish something that should be the default.

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 11.50.12 AM.png

• 14. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf

It's not useful, but it is explainable. As has been said before above, the name of the PDF was changed some time earlier in the export dialog, the export was done, and THEN THE FILE WAS SAVED, burning that name into that file forevermore. It's a pain in the <name your favorite body part>, and the only way to clear it out is to run the file through IDML.

• 15. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                    Danny Whitehead. Adobe Community Professional

ShaneH wrote:

As shown here, I have clearly already saved the .indd file as 3449BrooklineDr_UC_PC. I'm finished and and need to export a PDF proof under the same name... because the project name of the PDF should be the same as the InDesign file. Is there something wrong with that logic?

There's nothing wrong with wanting exported PDFs to have the same file name as the INDD. When I want that, which is very often, I do a Save As, copy the filename and paste it into the PDF name. There is something wrong with expecting all users to want that, all the time, and failing to imagine a scenario where a user wants to a apply different file naming conventions to PDFs and their corresponding INDDs.

• 16. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                      ShaneH Level 1

We have just over 1,300 client folders containing 12,150 indd files, worked on by various artists in the department. This "function" is now like a virus embedded in most of those files, impeding workflow efficiency, and causing filename mistakes if overlooked. I'm continually hearing complaints from my colleagues about this, and they all think it's a bug.

I've provided tangible evidence of what a bad thing this can be. I realize many designers are self-employed or work at an agency with a dozen or so clients, and this isn't any big deal to them. In a corporate workflow, this can be a major nuisance and cause of frustration.

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 11.50.12 AM.png

But InDesign has other ideas: "NOPE... we're going to suggest you export the PDF with the name of the old 'Mills' project! How's that?"

• 17. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Nobody here is disagreeing that it would be good to have a choice…but you don’t. So, we can only tell you how to work around it. Complaining here about it is meaningless.

File a feature request with all the details on how it would benefit all users here: http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

• 18. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                          creatureworks Level 1

"I'm still waiting for someone on this forum to explain to me how this is of any use to anyone."

Apparently I wasn't clear. I don't want the PDF name to match the name of my ID document. Many of us (also in corporate workflows! surprise!) need to have different names: working ID files are named so they make sense to the person using them (and to others in their dept), and PDFs, which are used for external approvals, are named to follow a standardized process for sign-off approvals.

Example: InDesign file is XXProject_no-cover_blue-skinny_v3.indd but I need the PDF output to be Clientname_1015_PA3.pdf

If the PDF name reverted to my ID file name every time, that would be annoying to me. The fact that it kept Clientname_1015_PA3.pdf saves me time – all I need to do is increase the number at the end.

As Bob said, I'm not arguing that it wouldn't be good to have a choice. But to suggest that it's a bug because it doesn't work the way you want it to is silly.

Shane, it sounds like your problem is that no one was properly using templates when they created their files. More than likely they were simply duplicating an old ID document and using it to create an entirely different file. And then, the first time they output a PDF, they forgot to fix the PDF file name. That's your problem. If you find an ID file that doesn't have the correct PDF name, click on the name of your ID file when you're outputting a PDF, which will reset the PDF name to match the ID file name. Then save your ID file after you're done. Easy peasy. I realize this is a pain if all of your files are messed up, but it's also a quality control detail that the responsibility of anyone working with those files. With 12,000 ID files, standardized processes and quality control are absolute necessities.

• 19. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                            Sherry @ Lacy & Par Level 1

I can see instances where it would be helpful to those who always rename and never use a previous job as a template, but it would also help the rest of us who do... if it didn't grandfather/sticky the names of old files just because it's been three versions/jobs since someone asked for a PDF proof instead of a hard copy.

It would also be nice if we could choose if InDesign would save that preference when the file is passed to another InDesign user, or default to THEIR preferences. A lot of times I get files from clients who name their PDFs differently, my PDF will have their job number vs. ours. It's a simple fix to a huge headache of a problem for some of us who don't have the luxury of creating all our own files.

Another option to "Use file name for PDF" and "Use custom file name" options, would be to be able to choose to automatically serialize file names on save. This would help with accidental loss of data by saving over original files. (Let's face it, we've all done it!)

So to break it down, this is my suggestion for PDF naming preferences:
                                            [] Use Local settings    (if unchecked, it would use the preferences from whomever created the file originally)

From there, you could choose to...

• Use file name currently used.
                                            • Use custom file name (would work the same as it does now, always keeping the last PDF name used)
                                            • Serialize file name (Customized as you would page numbers: Starts with #, V#, Version #, etc.) I would totally love this...btw.

But Bob's right. We can argue, which does no good, or try and come up with a way we can make us all happy. With what we pay for this software, I don't think it's too much to ask to have them streamline our workflow by adding this feature.

I'll be submitting my suggestions to the link provided in this thread. (Thanks, Bob!)

• 20. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Retaining the file name of the document when exporting to PDF can be scripted.

One example is my ExtendScript (JavaScript) ExportPDF_in_Foreground.jsx from 2010 that still can be used in InDesign CC 2015.2.

See the source code here:

Re: InDesign CS6 crashes during PDF export

I admit, it's a special case script and is only an example what can be done by scripting:

1. ExportPDF_in_Foreground.jsx exports the PDF in "foreground" using the old PDF export method found in InDesign CS4 and below.

(it could be rewritten to use the background process)

2. It makes the suggestion to add ".pdf" to the name of the InDesign document (inclusively the suffix), so it may not be something for everyone.

(Also that could be rewritten)

3. The name of the PDF to export is highlighted using a prompt and can be changed by the user.

Something like this script could be written with a more sophisticated UI where the user can add predefined substrings, a version numbering system, that monitors every export and makes suggestions for a new version number every time the script is executed successfully. And other things as well.

And of course there are InDesign plugins that can do that and more.

One example is MadeToPrint by Axaio :

High-speed PDF export with MadeToPrint [axaio]

Uwe

• 21. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                                jjch

I don't know if this is related, but I've got a similar issue that's p*ssing me off no end.

Every time I open photoshop/file/import/images from device the default filename Adobe presents me with is that of the very first file I ever created on photoshop CS6: Abortion Laws.

I've tried resetting everything. I've tried searching for the string in system files. I've installed the updates.

Can't change it.

Abortion Laws every time:

Screen shot 2016-01-18 at 5.59.35 PM.png

• 22. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf

It is a Photoshop problem, you should ask in the Photoshop forum. Delete all preferences.

• 23. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                                    jjch Level 1

Thanks a lot for responding, but I've tried deleting the Adobe Photoshop

CS6 Prefs.psp file before and I just did it again, but the problem remains.

I have posted a query in the Photoshop General Discussion/Discussion forum.

I hope that's a good place, but my last post about this issue over six

months ago has failed to get any response from Adobe or anyone else.

Cheers,

Jason.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Willi Adelberger <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 24. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                                      pieterb47847838 Level 1

Hello, this is the easiest solution, it just takes 2 clicks.

Export to pdf.

1. Click on the arrow on the right side of the 'Save as' document name

Now the folder of your original InDesign document should be visible.

2. Click on the In Design document.

Name is changed!

Good luck,

Pieter

1.png

2.png

3.png

1 person found this helpful
                                                      • 25. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                                        ShaneH Level 1

I am very familiar with this feature of the Mac OS and use it frequently. However, I rarely save a PDF into the same folder as the originating InDesign file. In addition, the shared server folder I save it into usually has about 2,500 PDFs, so this wouldn't be a practical solution.

I struggle with this issue daily. There isn't any other application that behaves this way except Adobe InDesign, and I don't understand why a developer went out of their way to make this "feature" when it's so outside of the computing norm. It's a continuous hassle. When I have time, I'm going to write a feature suggestion directly to Adobe, because I've had it with this foolishness.

It really seems to me like Adobe developers work in a bubble and don't understand that many of their users work in a corporate server environment with a mix of Macs and PCs, where thousands of documents are being generated. They cater to the sole proprietor designer, small ad agency, and art student because that seems to be their comfort zone. I'd love for one of them to pay a visit to my work office and see how some of these bugs cause us so many problems.

• 26. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                                          tzubak Level 1

This "feature" is a huge PITA, especially when exporting print-ready PDFs. I have several designers that constantly rename the PDF, which causes this problem.

This ties in with yet another similar annoying problem: If you export only a page of a multiple page file, it also remembers this when saving the file, resulting in future pdf exports being only a single page.

Adobe, please make this a preference!

• 27. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                                            ShaneH Level 1

I did download and implement Uwe's javascript and it does indeed work as advertised.

But please, WHY, WHY, WHY must I use a script to accomplish something which is the default — the norm in computing — for virtually any application which has an export function??????

• 28. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                                              DBLjan Level 3

Maybe this is an Option –

we discovered our buyers always renaming our exported PDF for archiving to their gusto, and later sending this renamed PDF back to us "make it like this" and we couldnt find the corresponding InD-files.
                                                              So I worked this into everyones workspace: I came from Quark where author/copyright was setable in the default settings, so I had to workaround in InDesign-PDF-Export. Now I can read the Meta-Data for the original file name.

I dont know, where InD stores the renamed PDF-filename, but if its in Metadata, you could prob script/export…

#targetengine "session"
                                                              main();

function main()
                                                              {
                                                              var myEventListener1 = app.addEventListener("beforeSave",  setMetadata, false);
                                                              var myEventListener2 = app.addEventListener("afterSaveAs",  setMetadata, false);
                                                              var myEventListener4 = app.addEventListener("beforeExport", setMetadata, false);
                                                              }

function setMetadata()
                                                                  {
                                                                  app.activeDocument.metadataPreferences.author = "Jan Krause";
                                                                    app.activeDocument.metadataPreferences.copyrightNotice = "MyAwesomeCompany";
                                                                    app.activeDocument.metadataPreferences.documentTitle = app.activeDocument.name;
                                                                  }

• 29. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf

Hi Jan,

yeah. And then there are the customers who rename the InDesign documents in Windows Explorer or Mac Finder ;-)

Uwe

• 30. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf

CReate your own XMP meta data field or use one existing where you  can save a code or needed information which will help you to find any document as this information is part of the PDF export. Meta Information is one of the most forgotten features of profesionals.

• 31. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                                                    Brian Pylant Level 1

There are very legit uses for how InDesign handles this -- for many people's workflow using a different name for the PDF is a requirement (for example, one master InDesign doc that is used to generate different PDFs for different purposes), so InDesign takes note that the user has changed the filename from the default and retains that information.

I have several designers that constantly rename the PDF, which causes this problem.

So tell them to stop, if this issue is causing more problems downstream for other staff. You should have documented Best Practices or Standard Work, and part of that should be to not rename the PDFs during export as this doesn't conform to the rest of your process. If they need to rename the file they should be trained to do it directly to the file after export, not in the Export dialog.

As for the existing InDesign files that have the alternate export filenaming applied, if you are exporting to the same folder as your InDesign file the workaround is really easy: in the Export dialog box click on the InDesign file; the filename will be picked up from the file. No need to type anything.

(A lot of people don't realize that any file you click on in a Save / Export dialog will take that filename and apply it; you can also drag folders or files from the Finder into one of the dialogs to set the filename or the destination, so much easier than browsing through the file hierarchy every time!)

• 32. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                                                      Sherry @ Lacy & Par Level 1

As others have pointed out, we are not usually saving to the same folder as the InDesign folder. Often, we are saving to a Workflow folder that is then going to be flighted for plating.

Telling Designers who are your clients, not your employees, is not as easy as saying "don't do that". They have their own internal processes they are dealing with and often become offended if you ask them to change it to suit you. Offended clients become ex-clients.

• 33. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                                                        Brian Pylant Level 1

Sorry, I was definitely thinking of in-house designers. It can't hurt to ask the external ones you work with, but of course you cannot force them to work your way unless there are other protocols in place that demand it (such as some sort of compliance / ISO issues, etc.).

InDesign defaults to export to the same folder as the document, I'm pretty sure, so you could click on the filename first to reset that, and then browse to your destination?

• 34. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                                                          DBLjan Level 3

Did anyone find out, where InD stores the renaming? Wouldnt it be possible to overwrite this value by script and then pop the export dialog?

• 35. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf

I think it is in the file directly as if you clean up it with IDML export this information is lost.

• 36. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf

DBLjan wrote:

Did anyone find out, where InD stores the renaming? Wouldnt it be possible to overwrite this value by script and then pop the export dialog?

Hi Jan,

if you look at my script ExportPDF_in_Foreground.jsx you could write something in this direction.
                                                                              Re: InDesign CS6 crashes during PDF export

I'm sure, that you have no access directly to the "renamed" string by scripting.
                                                                              E.g. reading out the value of a property.

Regards,
                                                                              Uwe

• 37. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                                                                Brian Pylant Level 1

Again, most definitely not a bug. You might not like how it works, and that's completely understandable, but it operates as Adobe designed it to and some folks do utilize this in their workflow, on occasion (as we do) or all the time.

I do agree, this absolutely should be a preference rather than unalterable behavior, but they should not eliminate this entirely as it does have its uses.

• 38. Re: Wrong file name when exporting to pdf
                                                                                  tom.morrison@promega.com

Thanks! This is the best answer!!!!

1 2 Previous Next