3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2010 6:23 AM by Colin Brougham

Premiere Pro CS5 to CS4

baron_cosimo

Greetings. Is there any backward compatibility for PP CS5 to CS4, by any means?

Appreciate any input. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 to CS4
          shooternz Level 6

Probably not.  It has never been possible in previous versions to import a higher version project file backwards.

Maybe another solution  available depending on what you are trying to do????

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 to CS4
            Mark Morreau Adobe Community Professional

I  have had some success in opening sequences from a CS5 project in CS4.

I fired up CS4, created new project, file -> import and selected the CS5 project. Premiere asks you if you want to import entire project of selected sequences. I selected a sequence and found it imported just fine into CS4. Note, however, that these were very simple sequences, with no effects and straight cuts or dissolves. I've done this a few times now, and it seems to work.

HTH

Mark

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5 to CS4
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Interesting, helpful observation, Mark--thanks for posting it.

If that doesn't work for the OP, he might consider exporting an AAF file from CS5. Go to File > Export > AAF and follow the prompts. AAF is a sort of "universal" project file format--at least, it's as close to universal as we're likely to get at this point in time. It should do a pretty good job of maintaining most edit decisions in your CS5, as well as effects and imported elements like PSDs and AE projects. I just did a quick test on a basic CS5 project, and it came into CS4 without a hitch, near as I can tell. Just import the AAF like any other file, and Premiere will do the rest of the work.

I'd say that if Mark's suggestion works, then go with that--but if it doesn't work with your particular project, check out the AAF option.