• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player Wont Work On CBS

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2010 Jun 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The flash player doesn't seem to want to work on CBS. It will load the commercials fine, but when it goes to the program it doesn't work right. It doesn't gear up right away and when it does it plays for a second and stops. About 20 seconds later it repeats this process. The flash player works on all other sites that use the flash player, just doesn't like CBS. Weird thing is, on my laptop it works fine.

Windoes XPSP3

Adobe Flash Player 10.1.53.64

Firefox 3.6.3

Used uninstaller program

Disabled hardware acceleration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2010 Jun 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With CBS I assume you mean http://www.cbs.com/ ?

I can see videos fine at that site, with the exception of those who give me a big red error

The video you have requested is not available for your geographic region.

I have encountered several such sites in this forum over the past few days, and it seems to me that their scripting is causing problems for many users, especially with the latest Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With CBS I assume you mean http://www.cbs.com/ ?
  Yeah that one.   Wonder why it worked on my laptop? Wouldn't the scripting be the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody got any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to contact CBS support about that; I'm sure you are not the only one experiencing that problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 15, 2011 Oct 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes CBS wants flash player 9 and hulu.com come wants another version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having the same problem. i really hope either cbs fixes the problem or someone finds a way to, because i really like watching some shows on that site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using the windows HOSTS file to block out unwanted content you may need to disable it. I do this

by renaming it when I want to watch 60 minutes on ABC.com. Then when I'm done I name it back to HOSTS. You'll need to do

a browser restart too. However if you are not using the HOSTS file then this is of no help at all.

good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2010 Jun 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you put cbs.com into the HOSTS file?  Is it a dangerous site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2010 Jun 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CBS the website itself is not in my HOSTS file, but one of their adservers is. They get some of their ads from doubleclick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doubleclick

Double click has questionable content and has been accused of infecting systems with spyware.

If the HOSTS file is active when I try to watch something on ABC.com then the content will not play because doubleclick is blocked (In my HOSTS file anyway). So I usually disable it to watch something. While I do not like disabling my HOSTS file, I am sure ABC.com is not infecting people with spyware. They better not be anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2010 Jun 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must have been a problem on their end, as its working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i dont understand what a HOST is i am 61 and getting very frustrated then i dont understand much..sigh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

jacqulinej wrote:

i dont understand what a HOST is

hosts is a file located at C:\Windows\system32\etc - it may contain a list of prohibited sites (like doubleclick.com), which will in turn prevent sites like CBS from running.  What they mean is "if you don't watch our ads, then we won't show you our content".

P.S. I am 61 as well, which does not prevent me from staying on top of things technically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2010 Jul 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently encountered the same problem ~ commercial runs fine, then the video tries to start and it just stalls, starts for a second, stalls again and then I give up.  I've tried many times with both my computers, laptop (Vista) and desktop (XP) ~ same problem.  Uninstalled and reinstalled flash player, same thing.  Previously, for a long time, it work perfectly, so I'm mystified.  Someone mentioned the HOSTs file but I don't know what that is or what to do with that.  Does anyone have any suggestions ~ very frustrating because I depend on this to watch shows I miss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines