• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3.0 to 5.0?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please forgive the elementary questions, my work location has 3.0 licenses and we have recently budgeted to obtain new ones and upgrade existing.

1.  Can 3.0 be upgraded to 5.0 or does it require the purchase of a completely new license (since we don't have 4.0)?

2.  Anyone know when 5.0 will be available?  Is it wise to wait a bit to ensure any bugs or kinks are worked out?

Looks like we will be purchasing as many as 20 licenses and I want to make sure I provide the boss with correct figures and processes.

Thanks in advance.  Chuck

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck

We are expecting to see something soon with captivate 5. Maybe as early as next week? (That may just be speculation on my part - Seems I saw somewhere that an indication was made to that effect) So stay tuned.

Only Adobe Sales can answer your question about what may be upgraded to what. There are some pretty odd policies with other software offerings that way. Suite VS Single upgrades and whatnot. Personally, I would imagine there would be some upgrade path from 3 to 5. But that could just be wishful thinking on my behalf.

As for upgrades and kinks and whatnot, that's an issue folks always struggle with. One would hope that there would be an initial release follwed at some future point by a point upgrade that addresses kinks that are found after release. But only time will really tell. I think each version of Captivate I've seen has had one point update after initial release. Can't even say there is an average time span between release and service release either. So if you are skeptical, perhaps download the trial and put it through its paces. Then upgrade if it feels right to do so. Otherwise, just subscribe to the forums and try to sort through the questions that will undoubtedly flood in after release and judge whether to hold off based on what you see.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the adobe Captivate upgrade page. 3 and 4 to 5 will be $299 USD.

http://www.adobe.com/products/captivate/upgrade/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... Adobe is pulling a "Microsoft" with releasing Captivate 5.... they originally said June 10, then pushed it to June 29 - today. I called, got someone who literally could not speak English in the Phillipines call center and they've said the release date is now July 1. This is now the third slip of the release date - is this thing ever going to materialize? I've got clients on the hook for this product, Adobe, like Microsoft needs to realize that we take their announcements to heart and if they aren't going to take their own dates seriously then we as developers will not continue to push their products to our clients. I know this is sounding childish, but if they're going to take my credit card and my money then the least they could do is communicate more honestly.... too much to ask? Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hmmm, I think Microsoft's slips were in a different magnitude. Theirs were months! Personally, I can forgive Adobe for pushing back a couple of weeks. I know we are all anxious.Geez, Captivate 5 was a total code re-write from the ground up!

So how do you feel version 5 is going to rock your world in a way that earlier versions were unable to? Just curious.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick-

... I know, just a little frustrated, thanks for talking me down =).

Ironically, the answer to your question, "So how do you feel version 5 is going to rock your world in a way that  earlier versions were unable to?"

It will be available on the Mac.

Captivate 3 and 4 were the last apps that I had to hang on to Parallels for. Once Captivate 5 comes out I'm officially done with Microsoft Windows. So as you can imagine, this release is a little more of a milestone for me than most.

Thanks,

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources