• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images saved in PS CS5 show as red boxes

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2010 Jun 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folks in the Photoshop forum say that this is a RoboHelp 7 issue, so here I am.

My company recently upgraded me from Photoshop CS2 to CS5. Now, when I update an image in CS5, it shows up as a small red square in RoboHelp 7. If I re-open the image in CS2 and resave it, it loads correctly in RoboHelp. I've checked the save settings in CS2 and CS5 and they match and have not been able to find anything in RoboHelp that would change how it loads images saved in CS5.

So, is there a setting I'm missing in either CS5 or in RoboHelp that would get the images to show up correctly in RoboHelp?

Thanks in advance,

-darlisa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What sort of "update" is occurring here? Personally, using Photoshop to work with RoboHelp images seems to me like swatting flies with nuclear bombs, but that's probably just because I don't know Photoshop.

So you choose to "work" with an image in Photoshop. You finish whatever it is you have done and the image refuses to present again in RoboHelp.

I know that Photoshop has its own image format. I believe that format is PSD. Is it possible that you aren't saving the image back as a PNG, GIF or JPG and are instead saving from Photoshop as PSD?

Obviously there is some obscure setting in Photoshop that is affecting things. So I'm doubtful it has to do with RoboHelp. But I suppose anything is possible.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image is saved as jpeg in Photoshop. RoboHelp doesn't have a graphics editor so the images are modified or created using Photoshop. When I save the image, I select to save for web and have jpeg selected as my save format.

The guys in the Photoshop forum insisted that this was a RoboHelp issue since it wouldn't read the CS5 format but would read the CS2 format. I personally don't think it is a RoboHelp issue but a problem with the way CS5 is saving the images, but what do I know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If you save the modified image elsewhere, are you then able to insert it into a different topic in RoboHelp?

I've seen cases where changing an aspect of the image in an editor causes the red rectangle until the topic has been closed and re-opened. Maybe that's the case here?

If you are STILL unable to view the image after attempting to insert in a different topic, then it's likely that CS5 is doing something different with images.

As for RoboHelp not having a graphics editor, well that's both true and untrue simultaneously. RoboHelp does ship with a product called RoboScreenCapture. You have some limited editing capabilities in that little application.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, even if I save it elsewhere, it still won't display in RoboHelp. I'm also not changing the aspect ratio, just replacing the image with an updated one due to changes in the software program I'm documenting. I've tried closing and re-opening the topic, closing down RoboHelp and reloading, even rebooting my machine, but nothing works.

I'd forgotten about the screen capture thingy in RoboHelp, but I don't really consider it a useable product for what we need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to try an experiment, send the image to me at rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com and I'll test inserting it into a RH7 project I have.

Actually, if you can, send both. Before modification and after. I also have CS5 installed. So if you tell me how to do what it is you did in Photoshop, I'll try and duplicate the steps here.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do, appreciate it. It may be a little while before I can send it to you though as I'm trying to get something done in Captivate before COB.

-darlisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I've been performing my own testing from this end. I just used an existing JPG image, then edited it in PS5 and saved back as JPG and am seeing what you are reporting. Definitely something is amiss here. CS5 HAS to be doing SOMETHING to the format because as you said, if the image isn't touched by CS5 it appears just dandy. But once you make any sort of a change to it in CS5, poof! (or is that a crash?)

I reached out to a Photoshop guru friend and she is stymied as well. Said it shouldn't be happening. As a workaround, you can save as PNG and that should work. I'll send a note to the RoboHelp developers and see if they have an answer. Maybe they can engage in a conversation at Adobe that will result in something.

In the mean time, you should consider filing a Bug Report on this to report it to Adobe. I'll also report from my end. (Link to the Bug Report form is in my sig)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noting that RoboHelp 8 exhibits the same behavior with refusing to present the image.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I submitted the bug, noted that it happens in RH 7 and 8, and included url to this thread.

-darlisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the up-side, this only seems to occur in the editor and when choosing the image. Preview shows the image just fine as well as the output

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one being frustrated with this issue in RoboHelp 8. I work with screen shots saved as JPG files and have been using RoboScreenCapture to resize them to about 70%. Sometimes it works and sometimes I get the red rectangle displayed.

I've still not worked out exactly when or why it happens but closing everything (RoboScreen Capture and the topic) sometimes resolves the problem. I'll be interested to see if there's a patch for this in future.

Cheers

Louise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Louise

I'm really hoping you take a moment to report this to Adobe as a bug that needs addressing. This is crucial to getting visibility on the issue. The more reports they receive on it, the more likely it is with being fixed! (Link to the bug report is in my sig line)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rik

Yes, I've raised this on the bug reporting form on the Adobe site. Should I hear anything (unlikely but you never know!) I'll update this post.

Cheers

Louise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is a solution but thought I'd post it anyway. I had problems inserting a company logo jpeg file into my RoboHelp project a few months ago. Turns out the colours were set to CMYK. When the image was converted in Photoshop to RGB I could insert the image without problems.

E.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening the JPG in another image editing tool such as RoboScreen Capture or Paint and using Save As.

It's not ideal but it should work until there is a fix. I haven't tested it so it would help if someone reported back.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2010 Aug 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is now a fix for this problem.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/859/cpsid_85901.html 

Only needed by RoboHelp 8 users with CS5 installed.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2011 Mar 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I replied to the OP. I meant to reply to your comment. I'm unable to download the .dll for Suite 2.5 which will solve this issue. The link is there, but nothing happens.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the plus side, once I edit my image in PhotoShop, save it and re-save it using another non-PhotoShop program, it seems to show up okay.

Still, PhotoShop is part of the software suite. This should be solved with a big fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem as well using RoboHelp 8.

We just installed Suite 2.5 (because we paid for for six licenses a month before 3.0 came out. That is annoying we didn't get 3.0, but that is neither here nor there.)

Anyway, I cannot download that .dll file as the solution suggests.

However, I also can't save PhotoShop CS2 files and import them into RoboHelp 8 which I used to do ALL THE TIME using RoboHelp 7 and CS2. Something is seriously wrong and it's not Photoshop! It's got to be RoboHelp.

PLEASE HELP. I use PhotoShop all the time to manipulate images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can download & save the BaseLibrary.dll from that KB article fine - want me to zip it up & e-mail it to you? Send me an e-mail to jeff dot coatsworth at jonassoftware dot com & I'll reply attach it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2011 Jul 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have Photoshop CS5 64-bit (12.0.4 x64) and RoboHelp 8.0.2.208 running on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  I downloaded and replaced BaseLibrary.dll and rebooted my machine and restarted RoboHelp.  I still seem to have this issue with jpegs no matter how I save the file in Photoshop.  --Save As, Save for Web with various options.

Are there any users with similar environments that have successfully solved this?

So far, using PNG's for all new images going forward may be a workable solution, but I don't want to run into problems with those in other single source output scenarios.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp