Expand my Community achievements bar.

ALC-FUT-001-007: Syntax error in the regular expression *. from File Utilities - Find in ES2

Level 5

Has anyone encountered the above error when trying to use the Foundation - File Utilities service Find?

This is occuring in ES2, and I have tried using an asterisk, as well as the exact file name I know exists.

I have tried literals in the Process Properties, as well as passing it in via string variables.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

4 Replies

Level 4

Not sure why it wouldn't find the exact file path if you type it in, but doing a *. for a find would be a syntax error because you aren't specifying a file type.  Try *.txt or *.dat or whatever you want and see if that makes the syntax error message go away

Level 5

Thanks for your response.

Here is what we have learned:

We should not put the regular expression value in single quotes - eliminates the error.

The problem is, the Find operation always returns an empty list no matter what criteria we enter - even C:\ with criteria = *.*

ES 2 is running on a Windows 2003 machine.

Thanks Again

Mark

Level 2

Not sure if you have found the solution already, but use ".*" (without the quotes) in your find operation. Worked for me.

Level 5

OK - so I have the answer.

The Regular Expression needs to be a real Regular Expression.

This is as opposed to the 8.2 version that the documentation said used a Regular Expression, but actually takes the asterisk style match strings.

Seems obvious once you realize the change.

Thanks to all.