• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dissapearing paragraphs

Jul 01, 2010 Jul 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since upgrading to RH8 and having to modify the styles I get a problem where if a paragraph is inserted some of the content below vanishes. I have to undo the insert and fiddle around with paragraphs to get things to work,

Any ideas anyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2010 Jul 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Does this happen with all paragraphs, specific paragraphs or does it happen completely random?

What happens in html view? Do you see the code for the paragraph and doesn't is simply show in WYSIWYG? Or is the other paragraph completely removed, also from html view?

Second, exactly what do you do to get your old paragraph back and to insert the extra paragraph?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks,

Here is a typical sequence of screens to illustrate the problem:

Here we have a segment of a help topic...

vanish1.gif

I now add a paragraph...

vanish2.gif

I decide I don't want it and delete it. As a result the paragraph a couple of paras below vanishes!!

vanish3.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 08, 2011 Mar 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample small project which could reproduce this issue even a 1 topic project will do

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 09, 2011 Mar 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have prepared a small test project, please can you advise me on how best to share this with you..

If you follow the steps given in my post javascript:; you will be able to see the problem first hand.

Thanks

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can share it through "acrobat.com" you can create a free account and do a public share if you want or share me only at zajjy_iet@yahoo.co.in

Ashsih

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, test project on it's way to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 10, 2011 Mar 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Author,

Have you shared the project because I could not find it on my acrobat.com account!

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2011 Mar 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I clicked on the link an email was generated and I attached a zip file to that. Please can you give me a proper link and specific instructions on how to upload this to you. I presume this will be some sort of web address?

Or put another way, please can you tell me how to access the appropriate area of your acrobat.com account?

Do I have to open an account myself to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2011 Mar 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would have to open your own acrobat.com account (it's free) or trying using something like cutesendit.com using the email address given.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter I have a problem here, both adobe and cute sendit are blocked by our web secuirty software any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buy the IT guys a beer?

More seriously can you put it on a memory stick and send it from home.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 14, 2011 Mar 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Author Care,

Yes you need to open an account on acrobat.com, its free

then after you log in you will get an option to upload and after selecting the file you need to upload

after uploade you get an option of Share and on selcting it in the bottom left corner you will see an option of Publish

after Publish you will get an option to Copy link - which is the URL you can mail to the person you need to share the uloaded file

the URL looks like https://acrobat.com/#d=3juUTrKlTyQAxrZztWn5Kw

Please mail the shared project @ ashishchandra.gupta@gmail.com

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2011 Mar 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now opened an acrobat.com account and shared the example project as directed. Please let me know if further info is required.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 17, 2011 Mar 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashish,

Please can you confirm receipt of the sample project and update on the status of resolving this issue?

Thanks

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 17, 2011 Mar 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your patience and apologies for the delay.

Yup I do have the project "Test disappearing paragraph.zip" but apologies that I could not look into it because of other tasks at hand, I will look into it ASAP, please elaborate specific steps to reproduce the issue with this sample project.

Need some clarity on the snapshots that you attached related to the problem, the third screen shows the right bullet and text only there is a extra line and the image is missing below the link - is this is the issue that the image is gone missing and a extra line appears?

for the time being I came across a new finding, did you upgraded your project with both the RH updates installed, as I came to know that upgrading any older version project with just RH 8.0.1 installed and then updating with the RH patch 8.0.2 and then working on the upgraded project with RH 8.0.2 causes issue!

I would suggest you to do just one more experiment, If you have the older version RH project and have fully updated RH 8.0.2 then do try upgrading this older version project through RH 8.0.2, this might solve your issue.

just wanted to know if you are using CBTs with UDV, table or lists in such topics which are showing up this issue !

Hope this will help

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 18, 2011 Mar 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashish and thanks for your reply,

Answers to questions inline below:

Need some clarity on the snapshots that you attached related to the problem, the third screen shows the right bullet and text only there is a extra line and the image is missing below the link - is this is the issue that the image is gone missing and a extra line appears?

Yes, the image dissappears for no reason.

for the time being I came across a new finding, did you upgraded your project with both the RH updates installed, as I came to know that upgrading any older version project with just RH 8.0.1 installed and then updating with the RH patch 8.0.2 and then working on the upgraded project with RH 8.0.2 causes issue!

The test project I sent you was created under RH 8.0.2 and this problem has consistently occurred under 8.0.2 so is not related to the problem you mentioned.

I would suggest you to do just one more experiment, If you have the older version RH project and have fully updated RH 8.0.2 then do try upgrading this older version project through RH 8.0.2, this might solve your issue.

See comments above I have already tested this and this does not solve the problem.

just wanted to know if you are using CBTs with UDV, table or lists in such topics which are showing up this issue !

No this problem is not releated to conditional build tags.

Thanks

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Steve,

I am just going through your Sample project I need more information related to that

1. The First topic seems to be created based on the master page but the content shown here in the topic does not show most of the content of the master page in this topic

2. I created another topic with the same master page and did tried to Press cariage return at random places but nothing was lost due to this process!, I even tried it in the master page itself but nothing got lost!!

3. Does you problem occurs while editing the master page ? or topics based on the master page?

4. Can you please give some specific steps to reproduce your problem in the sample project (Test disapearing paragraph) provided to me

Please help me with these specific question so that I can help you

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem occurs in topic pages where the topics have the master page applied. In other words normal operating methods with RoboHELP.

The specific steps are those listed earlier in the post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

I was able to reproduce the problem and it is not related to Master page, you can also reproduce the issue by creating a new topic without any master page,

and then copy & paste the list into it and then delete any of the blank line after list item 2.

Just give me some time to decode the issue and I will get back to you on this !

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 21, 2011 Mar 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

I require a little more information related to this issue!

How were the topic created? Was the topics created with some other editor or through import.

If Imported was the import done in the older version RH project or after the upgrade and what was imported means the original file (e.g. Word, FrameMaker or PDF)

from where and how the list has been created (which is applied at the paragraph level)

Please provide me with these specifics to help me explore this issue

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Some good news for you, I was just able to discover something new in this issue.

The loss of content is not real, what I saw was that for some reason or other it just stops showing up in the RH Design editor the solution to show it back is

1. After any delete Save the project (even if it shows some loses don't worry)

2. Switch to the HTML view (code view of RH)

3. Switch back to the Design view and you will see all the content with all the list levels and content correctly

so you are not losing anything is real because of this and even if you reopen the topic of project you will find all the contents correctly in the topic

Hope this will help

Ashish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ashish,

In answer to your questions:

How were the topic created? Was the topics created with some other editor or through import.

No, the topics were created in RoboHELP 8.0.2 using it's own html editor.

If Imported was the import done in the older version RH project or after the upgrade and what was imported means the original file (e.g. Word, FrameMaker or PDF)

No see above

from where and how the list has been created (which is applied at the paragraph level)

All items in the topics under created were done the proper way using paragraph styles as per the original post.

Data loss is not real

Re the other point, I am already aware that the loss of data is "not real" but there is still a problem and that problem is with RoboHELP.

It's not acceptable for material you are working on to dissapear just because you added a paragraph or performed what should be a routine normal action.

Hope that helps..

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have sent exmaple project through again to thje email address supplied

using cutesendit as kindly suggested by Peter. delivery notified as successful.

Project has a single topic and can be used to test the problem documented in this thread.

Thanks

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In HTML view no apparent change in the code. Seems to be in and around step follow on paragaphs bewteen numbered steps..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp