• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A question from the far-side?

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2010 Jul 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, thank you to all of you who have helped me restructure my project and get everything back on track!

Now for the odd question that I'm sure I've read about on this forum, or maybe on Peter G's site - or followed a link somewhere.  I simply can't remember.

I need to re-build hyperlinks on my new whizz-bang project of circa 1300 topics, and seem to remember a mention of software that would crawl the topics, and then automatically insert hyperlinks into topics?  Or am I going nuts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are applications out there that crawl through and report on broken hyperlinks but I don't know of any that can insert or fix them. There are find and replace applications that will find a specific string and replace it with another string if this is what you remember. Trouble is you have to tell them what to find and replace. Some like FAR HTML are fairly advanced and BkReplacem is even free.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

software that would crawl the topics, and then automatically insert hyperlinks into topics

Does this stuff come in tablet form or do you have to inject it?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

errm...  I guess that is a resounding 'No' then...

...and I was so sure...

On the other hand, there is the old addage 'If you can think it, it can be built' - but sadly not by me, a bear of very little brains.

Thank you chaps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm struggling to see how any software could look at some words and know what to link to.

I'm wondering if you are thinking of a macro that looks at links in printed documentation from old versions of RoboHelp and converts them to working links?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be fair it was a question from the "far side". Trouble is it was so far off as to make it positively 2001 Space Odyssey. The day an application can tell what I'm thinking is the day I give up all hope for mankind

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL.

HAL: I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do. http://www.iguanaman.org/resources/FarSide.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp