Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Slice Video, and Audio at same time

Guide ,
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone.

When I click on Control K, it dose create a Slice in my Timeline, I want to create a Slice for my Audio as well,  at the same time.

But every time I Slice a Video, and when I want to delete the Slice portion of the movie that I cut, the audio is still there, and I have to use the Razor Tool to select the cut portion under the Sliced movie.

Thanks

Simon.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

The default razor command (Ctrl+K as you currently have it mapped; I use Ctrl+B but there is not functional difference) only slices through tracks that are targetted. So, be sure to target your audio tracks for the command to work correctly; just click the track selector related to your audio (Audio 1, Audio 2, etc.).

In CS5, there is a new command to cut through all tracks, regardless of targetting. Check out Sequence > Razor All Tracks for this. It's probably Ctrl+Shift+K by default. Note that

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default razor command (Ctrl+K as you currently have it mapped; I use Ctrl+B but there is not functional difference) only slices through tracks that are targetted. So, be sure to target your audio tracks for the command to work correctly; just click the track selector related to your audio (Audio 1, Audio 2, etc.).

In CS5, there is a new command to cut through all tracks, regardless of targetting. Check out Sequence > Razor All Tracks for this. It's probably Ctrl+Shift+K by default. Note that this will cut everything, possibly tracks you don't want cut. Just use the one that is pertinent to your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Colin Brougham.

You are right it is Control+Shift+K. Linking dose not do the job.

I think i like the Control+ K better than Razor tool, Because with control+ K I can Cut exactly the part I want. But when I use the Razor Tool I have a feeling I am not cutting the exact part ,,  may be I am wrong.

So what is the different Betwwen Razor and Contro+K ?

Thanks Again.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2010 Jul 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon,

I find the Razor to be quite accurate. Now, I am zoomed into my Timeline a bit, and Snap is on, so the Cursor will hit the CTI's red edit line all the time.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Hunt

How can I have the Snap on

Thanks

simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short cut key "S"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 03, 2010 Jul 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Shooternz.

Thank  you very much, ok i got it...

When i use my Left or Right Arrow Key, and Jog Roller, I know where exactly I want to Cut.

Then when I use Control + K, or Control + Shift + K, it cuts right on my Target point.

I can use the Razor Tool, But I have this feeling that the Control + K, is more accurate that Razor Tool.

I could be Wrong.  With Control + K, it is done

Automatically, with Razor Tool it is done manually,

Please let me know

Once again thank you very much for all your helps.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Hunt.

When I use The Zoom Tool , It stretches the Timeline, but it dose not make the Timeline bigger, so you can see the Red edit Line bigger.

Is there a tool which makes the Red edit Line bigger ?

Thanks

Simon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon,

The only way to do that would be to alter the resolution of your computer's monitor.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be different in CS5 than what I use, CS3...and may be totally unrelated to question...

But making the timeline "bigger" when zooming to see the  area you are gonna cut better may have to do with stretching the timeline vertically too...

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

is your video and audio " linked " ?  If linked and you put the razor tool in the center of the video / audio track it should cut both

Rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linking has no bearing on how a clip is sliced with the Razor command or tool. Regardless of linked or unlinked status, only track targeting dictates which tracks are affected by the razor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm...I'm using cs3 so maybe its different...if my audio isnt linked to video it wont cut both audio and video by placing razor between the tracks...I would instead have to put the CTI at the cut point and make two cuts..one for video and one for audio...and the CTI makes it snap to ...so the cuts are right on...

if the audio and video is linked then I can put razor between the video and audio track and cut them both at same time...

Rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I won't call you on the carpet about that--I'm not using CS3, and haven't for years now, so you're probably right. However, things changed drastically in CS4 in this regard, and incrementally again in CS5, so linking no longer dictates how a slice is created.

Not trying to sound like a jerk (I promise ), but I think this is why it's important that folks only comment about the versions of Premiere Pro they're using. A lot has changed in this program, even the basics like in this case, from version to version--from CS4 to CS5, maybe not so much, but from CS3 to CS4, there were some significant paradigm shifts that really require time with the new(er) programs to understand the differences.

Again, I'm not trying to be jerky about this: I just feel it's prudent to not send a user on a wild goose chase if it's not going to bring them satisfaction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I undestand Colin...no problem...however, you were able to correct me quickly and for the number of times this sort of thing happens I will continue to try to help as much as I can without limiting myself to only CS3 probs...

Also, you're absolutely right about this issue and will try to stick to things that don't involve specific commands and tools ..but try to stay with more "common" problems ...that is, common to editing in general , that sort of thing..

Thanks for pointing this out

Rod

plus I'm always learning more ...probably as much as those posting a lot of problems here...which is part of this process for me...so thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

Through CS3, Ctrl+K worked on all Unlocked Tracks. With CS4, things changed a bit, as one could now Target multiple and even none contiguous Tracks. Ctrl+K still functions the same BUT now only affects Tracks that are Targeted, so no need for Locking them anymore. This has not changed with CS5.

Hope that this helps - it was changed as of CS4.

Hunt

PS - another workflow in CS3 and before, is to do the Crtl+K and then just ignore the Cut in some of the Clips, and just Alt+clicking on what you wish to remove, leaving the others alone. Though there is a Cut, one does not have to concern themselves with them, unless they wish to. Personally, I like the CS4 and later way of doing it - saves that Locking/Unlocking, or having to Alt+click to do things. However, I am a lazy sot.

PPS - Colin brings up a good point - how one has mapped THEIR keyboard shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill...

Played around with the cntrl- k with locked / unlocked.....works well...I've been using my razor tool for all cuts so this makes it faster. Thanks.

Rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most welcome!

Also, when you and I move on to CS5, we know what the differences will be for us, with Targeting multiple Tracks.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linking did not worked

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl K only slices the tracks (audio and/or video) that are selected.

If you select the Razor (C) and then hold down Shift it razors through every track regardless if it is selected or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Ann, thanks.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

now this is what i was looking for! thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines