• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I script the robohelp compiler?

Apr 25, 2006 Apr 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'd like to know if I can write a command line script to automate CHM file compilation. I am a developer so I'm not afraid of writing code. I just want to know if there's any way to connect to the robohelp (CHM) compiler via a script (Javascript, VBScipt, etc.) and compile my Robohelp help project automatically. Thanks!

Hughes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. You can.

Because the .chm format is a Microsoft creation, the compiler is essentially free. Probably the best place to look is msdn. They should be able to give you the syntax.

Note that this does not work for the RoboHelp-proprietary formats (WebHelp leaps to mind). I went all round Robin Hood's barn trying to explain the twin concepts of "proprietary" and "seat license" to one configuration team that absolutely insisted that they be able to build WebHelp nightly from the files I stashed in ClearCase. So stick with .chms if at all possible.

HTH,
Elisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

To add to what Elisa offered, keep in mind that you may lose RoboHelp specific functionality as well. Such as the ability to create help using conditional build tags combined with a conditional build expression.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2006 Apr 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
RH can not be automated in any usual way. It does not accept whatever command line commands and does not provide whatever API that can be used for this purpose. Really unbelievable for the 'industry standard in help authoring' , but true.

You can use a tool like Automate from unisyn.com or similar to start RH and then automatically click buttons, menu commands etc. to do what you need

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp