Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 8: Child Project topics not displaying in the topic pane

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2010 Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All:

I am working on a Robohelp 8 merged help with four child projects. The child project I added last (which appears as Child 2 on the ToC) displays fine in the ToC pane. However, none of the Child 2 topics display in the Topics pane.

When I investigated, I found that Child 2 had a few broken links. I fixed them but this has made no difference.

I have cleared the MergedHelp folder and recompiled a few times, but w/o any change. Child 1, 3 and 4 topics display in the topics pane, but not Child 2 topics.

Would appreciate any pointers.

Regards,

Sophie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Have you regenerated the parent and then each child in the same order as they are in the parent TOC?

How big are the source projects zipped up (after deleting outputs)?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sophie.

Can you confirm the type of output you are generating? Does the cild 2 project display properly when displayed in isolation from the merged project?

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum:

I am generating webhelp.

The compiled child project displays correctly on its own, outside the merged help.  It even displays fine via ..\MergedHelp\mergedProjects\Child 2\whskin_homepage.htm.  It looks like an error free compile.

Thanks and regards,

Sophie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your merged help structure set-up exactly according to Peter Grainge's article? Double check things like the project name and folder. From memory if there is any discrepency it can cause the project not to appear.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It even displays fine via ..\MergedHelp\mergedProjects\Child 2\whskin_homepage.htm

Why would you be using this internal file? In the parent, the TOC points to the XPJ file for Project 2. If you open the child independently, you use its start page. Nothing you do should involve that file.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the project is set up exactly as recommended by the article. The other three Child projects display correctly.

The only reason I viewed Child 2's whskin_homepage.htm was to check it.  It displays correctly on its own but the topics won't display within the merged help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting the child from the TOC and readding it. If that does not work, can you post an image of what you are seeing. You can do so via the camera toolbar icon.

adobe_forum_camera_icon.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

I removed all the Child projects, cleared the MergedHelp folder and regenerated all the Child projects and the merged help. No joy. Same problem.

mergedhelp01.jpg

mergedhelp02.jpg

mergedhelp03.jpg

I'm sure in the end it will turn out to be something very simple, just like all the other times I've had errors. But for now I'm foxed.

Thanks and regards,

Sophie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you regenerated the parent and then each child in the same order as they are in the parent TOC?

How big are the source projects zipped up (after deleting outputs)?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a tonne. Peter.  I regenerated all the child projects in order of appearance on the ToC - it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp