• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

editing published Webhelp files

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2010 Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave to our system administrator the published files for the WebHelp and he put them on the server. I have edited these files and published new ones. He told me if I change one of the files, I think the main html file or the opening html file, from the its name (e.g. <product>) to Index, all I will have to do is post all the published files on the server instead of having him do something special to the published files and then post them.

Does anyone know which file he is talking about and can I just change its name? Should this be done before or after I publish the WebHelp? Will this work?

Basically, I would like the ability to just put the new published WebHelp files directly on the server without having the system administrator have to do anything so that it works.

Thanks in advance,

Judy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2010 Jul 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My guess is that he's talking about the Start Page. Normally when you go to a website without specifying a file (such as www.adobe.com) the sever feeds you the standard file. 'Index.html' is a name that is widely used as the standard.

From what I can gather, your administrator renames the Start Page to index.html. You can change the name of your Start Page in the first page of the SSL settings of the WebHelp. When someone calls the URL with the help, the server will automatically serve the Start Page of the project.

This will work, but if you use context sensitive help, your developers may have to change their call (if they use the Start Page).

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is the Start Page called? .htm? If I rename it

index.html, does it affect the WebHelp?

I don't have context sensitive help so there won't be the problem you wrote

about with the developers.

Judy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could just rename the start page to index.htm inside your project and recompile. Then your developer could just call the index.htm file.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Judy

In addition to what others have said here, I think Willam may have unintentially caused you some confusion with his casual mention of index.html and not index.htm. In almost all cases you have no worries whether the extension ends in .htm or .html. Both extensions will usually be understood and will typically work just fine.

We do encounter the occasional HTML purist that absolutely insists the extension must be .html and if it is .htm it is somehow wrong. Personally, I believe it's more of a geek speak thing. Those folks are usually rooted in Linux or UNIX operating systems and were likely running their own servers before the WWW came into general use.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick.

I also read your blog, SorcerStone - False Starting. I still have a few

questions.

I still am not sure which file to rename - the WebHelp Start Page or the

Default Topic.

For example, there are 2 files that open up to the first page in the Help:

_Help.rhc.htm

Which one do I rename index.htm?

Judy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The start page is what needs to be renamed and that is defined in the first field on the first page of the wizard. The default topic is defined further down that page and does not need to be touched.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp