Expand my Community achievements bar.

How do I create a "flowable" text field?

Level 1

I have brought 2 books and still do not have enough info to craeate a form with a folwable filed.

How can I learn to do this.

Thanks

Jim

5 Replies

Level 1

Thanks for the reply, but the thread your referenced has to do with "how do I tab through form fields.

I need to learn how to build flowable text fields.

Jim

Jim Heller

WTCSB

255-7101

Former Community Member

By flowable field ....do you mean a field that will expand to show all of the data that is contained within the field (no scroll bars)?

Paul

Level 1

Yes Sir, The flowable field would need to grow as the person types in data. No scroll bar. Everything below the field would be pushed down and possibly pushed to the second page or third page. The form you see on the screen when you begin may not look like the form you finish with.

I found a tutorial on a Purchase order, but that does not help.

I have purchased 2 books and they talk about flowable fields but do not give enough information.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Jim Heller

WTCSB

255-7101

Former Community Member

OK ...now I understand.

1. The user will see scroll bars while they are filling the field out ....but when the tab out of the field the form will "reflow" and the the field will grow accordingly.

2. The form must be dynamic and the page subform must be set to flowed.

3. The field can be in a positioned subform, but its parent must be flowed (it might be different than the page subform).

4. On the field itself, it must be set to multiline and there can be no length or limit to visible are restrictions.

5. On the layout tab there are areas for the X and Y size and position. There is a small checkbox below this that says "Expand to fit". The one on the Y side must be checked on. This is the one that everyone misses.

6. You shoudl allow page breaks in the subform and in this object otherwise it will not break across a page if needed.

There is a good tutorial that discusses dynamic form creation (I do not remember if it has a flowing field in it) but the principals are the same. I suggest you go through this first as you must have this structure for your form to accomplish what you want.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/9.0/lcdesigner_qs_poform.pdf

That shoudl get you started.

Paul