Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Innerjoin type mismatch error

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2010 Jul 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello;

I'm trying to write an innerjoin query, and I get an error with a mismatched expression... I'm posting my query, maybe someone else can see where I'm going wrong here...

<cfquery name="logMem" datasource="#APPLICATION.dataSource#">
SELECT Lcustomers.c_ID, Lcustomers.c_fname, Lcustomers.c_lname, Lcustomers.c_street, Lcustomers.c_city, Lcustomers.c_state, Lcustomers.c_zip, Lcustomers.c_email, MerchandiseOrdersItems.cardID, MerchandiseOrdersItems.c_ID, MerchandiseOrdersItems.cc_type, MerchandiseOrdersItems.cc_num, MerchandiseOrdersItems.cc_verify, MerchandiseOrdersItems.cc_expir_m, MerchandiseOrdersItems.cc_expir_y
FROM Lcustomers
INNER JOIN MerchandiseOrdersItems
ON MerchandiseOrdersItems.c_ID = LCustomers.c_ID
WHERE Lcustomers.c_email = '#SESSION.uscl.c_email#'
</cfquery>

This is the error:

Error Executing Database Query.

[Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][ODBC Socket][Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Type mismatch in expression.
The error occurred in C:\Websites\187914kg3\store\confirmorder.cfm: line 52
50 : INNER JOIN MerchandiseOrdersItems
51 : ON MerchandiseOrdersItems.c_ID = LCustomers.c_ID
52 : WHERE Lcustomers.c_email = '#SESSION.uscl.c_email#'
53 : </cfquery>
54 : <cfif logMem.cc_type EQ "">

SQLSTATE  HY000
SQL   SELECT Lcustomers.c_ID, Lcustomers.c_fname, Lcustomers.c_lname, Lcustomers.c_street, Lcustomers.c_city, Lcustomers.c_state, Lcustomers.c_zip, Lcustomers.c_email, MerchandiseOrdersItems.cardID, MerchandiseOrdersItems.c_ID, MerchandiseOrdersItems.cc_type, MerchandiseOrdersItems.cc_num, MerchandiseOrdersItems.cc_verify, MerchandiseOrdersItems.cc_expir_m, MerchandiseOrdersItems.cc_expir_y FROM Lcustomers INNER JOIN MerchandiseOrdersItems ON MerchandiseOrdersItems.c_ID = LCustomers.c_ID WHERE Lcustomers.c_email = 'mjc@phoenixdesignstudio.com'
VENDORERRORCODE  -3079

Can anyone see what's wrong?
Thank you.

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jul 07, 2010 Jul 07, 2010

cfsetNewbie wrote:

Not really, because you are not showing us where the problem would be.  This is your database complaining so you need to look in the database for the problem.  Luckily the error is fairly straight forward.  Type mismatch.  That means you are comparing two things in the database and the database is telling you that the types are different and that it can not compare them.  Since the only comparison I see in your SQL is in the ON clause, the most likel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cfsetNewbie wrote:

Not really, because you are not showing us where the problem would be.  This is your database complaining so you need to look in the database for the problem.  Luckily the error is fairly straight forward.  Type mismatch.  That means you are comparing two things in the database and the database is telling you that the types are different and that it can not compare them.  Since the only comparison I see in your SQL is in the ON clause, the most likely scenario is that the c_ID field in the MerchandiscOrdersItems table is one type and the c_ID field in the LCustomers table is another.

How you fix that depends on whether you want and|or can change the database design OR if you just want to force the issue in the SQL.  For the former, change the type of one table to be compatible with the other table.  For the latter, use the database cast() function (whatever your database calls that function) to change the type of one side of the ON clause to match other.

If it is not the ON clause, then investigate the rest of your SQL looking for other places where the data type makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they are different, one is an autonumber and the other is a number. It's an access database

.. basically, the MerchandiseOrdersItems.c_ID = LCustomers.c_ID

is how the 2 tables innerjoin, when it's written, one table is member info, and the other credit

, the member info puts it's ID (autonumber) into the MerchandiseOrdersItems.c_ID putting it to the members account. when they are logged in, the session will have the email address as it's variable and bring up all the records for this member.

That is how I have the isnsert set up, now, I am trying to bring up the record for the logged in member.
So how would I rewrite this to work for this type of function? or is it just a simple change?

I know.. access.. ugg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well *I* would expect an autonumber field to match a number field, but it has been a decade since I have used Access in a web application.

Can you right the equivalent query in the database and compare the SQL there to your SQL and see how they might differ?

The only other comparison I see in your SQL is Lcustomers.c_email = 'mjc@phoenixdesignstudio.com'.  This would only cause a problem if the Lcustomers.c_email field is not some type of text field?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were right, I found my cell wasn't set properly and the DB was crying about it...

I have on eother issue my DB doesn't like. It's an error where I'm trying to add the year to a cell, here is how it's set in the Database, and the

part of teh query that is throwing it... and the error

the DB cell is set as number (long interger)

this is the code:

<cfqueryparam cfsqltype="CF_SQL_INTEGER" value="#form.creditExpY#">

this is my error:

[Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][ODBC Socket][Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]Numeric value out of range (null)   The error occurred in C:\Websites\187914kg3\accManage\signUp.cfm: line 226
Called from C:\Websites\187914kg3\accManage\signUp.cfm: line 198
Called from C:\Websites\187914kg3\accManage\signUp.cfm: line 196
Called from C:\Websites\187914kg3\accManage\signUp.cfm: line 4
Called from C:\Websites\187914kg3\accManage\signUp.cfm: line 1
Called from C:\Websites\187914kg3\accManage\signUp.cfm: line 226
Called from C:\Websites\187914kg3\accManage\signUp.cfm: line 198
Called from C:\Websites\187914kg3\accManage\signUp.cfm: line 196

224 :         <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="CF_SQL_INTEGER" value="#form.securitCode#">,
225 :         <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="CF_SQL_INTEGER" value="#form.creditExpM#">,
226 :         <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="CF_SQL_VARCHAR" value="#form.creditExpY#">)
227 : </cfquery>
228 : 

SQLSTATE  22003
SQL   INSERT INTO MerchandiseOrdersItems (c_ID, cc_type, cc_num, cc_verify, cc_expir_m, cc_expir_y) VALUES ( (param 1) , (param 2) , (param 3) , (param 4) , (param 5) , (param 6) )
VENDORERRORCODE  3

I can't figure out why I tried a number of different CF_SQL types and they aren't working. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the data type of the cc_expir_y field in the database?  If integer why are you using CF_SQL_VARCHAR?

What is the value of form.creditExpY (including any whitespace)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that the value of form.creditExpY is outside the possible range that Access accepts as an integer value.  This could explain the error "Numeric value out of range".

See this link for information on max field sizes in Access:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/set-the-field-size-HA010341996.aspx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the form field, it's a select box:

<cfselect enabled="No" name="creditExpY" multiple="no" selected="#form.creditExpY#">
<cfloop from="#year(now())#" to="#val(year(now())+10)#" index="x">
<option value="#x#">#x#</option>
</cfloop>
</cfselect>

the table cell is set as number (long integer)

as it sits now, I get the same error...

[Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][ODBC Socket][Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]Numeric value out of range (null)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the value of form.creditExpY when the error occurs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it loops through 10 yrs..

the value is 2010 or what ever yr you choose between 2010 and 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cfsetNewbie wrote:

it loops through 10 yrs..

the value is 2010 or what ever yr you choose between 2010 and 2020

Sure: that's what the value is supposed to be.  But is it?

Do a <cfdump var="#form#"> immediately before the insert query and check all the values you are passing to the DB driver are valid for the data types.

What is the create-table DDL statement for the table in question?  (Can Access generate one of those?  Dunno).

Now for the usual "don't use Access" plea: if you are just starting out on this project, is it too late to not use Access?  It's just a desktop app, and it's not intended to be used as a server-based DB solution.  It is not fit-for-purpose for server-side usage.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things to check:

1. Use CFDUMP to verify that the form fields contain the values you except.

2. Are there CFOUTPUT tags around your CFSELECT? Without CFOUTPUTs the value of form.creditExpY will be the string literal "#x#" and not a number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol.. I did both of those, it is passing the proper value, it's the database not liking the fact I

'm trying to put in this number for some reason.. when you look at the page source code, it even shows the proper values and display

So for some reason, my database doesn't like this number. I'm stumped on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you write a new page that just tries to do a CFQUERY for an INSERT statement with the data (including the out of range number) entered literally?  That will help to isolate the cause and determine for sure whether this is an Access problem with processing the CFQUERY or a problem with how your code is delivering the data to the CFQUERY.  If the stand-alone code works, then the next step would be to dump out all of the data just prior to the CFQUERY.  If the data still looks good at that point, then try removing the CFQUERYPARAMs to see if they are munging the data before it gets sent to Access.  Also, remember that Access is much less forgiving that MS-SQL in terms of automatic datatype conversion.

-reed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the param values for all the params you're passing?

What happens if you use those values to directly insert the data into the DB using MSAccess.exe?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have, of course, checked the database configuration to make sure it does not have any limits defined on the field that would prevent these values from being inserted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are no limits. format is empty. field size is set as Long Integer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allow Nulls?

Did you change the cfsqltype parameter on the <cfqueryparam...> it was varchar which is NOT a number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S.  Are you getting the generate sql as part of the error message.  It should be available.  It can often be informative to see what CF is actually sending to the databae as the SQL statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the error, I also took out the queryperam and it still throws the error

[Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][ODBC Socket][Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]Numeric value out of range (null)   The error occurred in C:\Websites\187914kg3\accManage\signUp.cfm: line 230
Called from C:\Websites\187914kg3\accManage\signUp.cfm: line 202
Called from C:\Websites\187914kg3\accManage\signUp.cfm: line 200
Called from C:\Websites\187914kg3\accManage\signUp.cfm: line 230

228 :         <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="CF_SQL_INTEGER" value="#form.securitCode#">,
229 :         <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="CF_SQL_INTEGER" value="#form.creditExpM#">,
230 :         '#form.creditExpY#')
231 : </cfquery>
232 : 

SQLSTATE  22003
SQL   INSERT INTO MerchandiseOrdersItems (c_ID, cc_type, cc_num, cc_verify, cc_expir_m, cc_expir_y) VALUES ( (param 1) , (param 2) , (param 3) , (param 4) , (param 5) , '2013')

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

INSERT INTO MerchandiseOrdersItems (c_ID, cc_type, cc_num,  cc_verify, cc_expir_m, cc_expir_y) 
VALUES ( (param 1) , (param 2) ,  (param 3) , (param 4) , (param 5) , '2013')

See the single quotes around the value 2013?  That means that the database is seeing "2013" as a text value, it is not going to allow that into a number field.  Just because the text is a series of numerical digits, does not matter.  Database management systems are very particular.

Remove the quotes, or better yet put back the <cfqueryparam...> with the correct cfsqltype value, and I bet things will work better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

225 :         <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="CF_SQL_INTEGER" value="#form.creditExpM#">,

This one works

226 :         <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="CF_SQL_VARCHAR" value="#form.creditExpY#">)

This one doesn't

What is the difference between the two?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the first one puts in just a number 1 - 12 (months)

the other puts in 2010 or what ever yr it needs.

I changed my field to text and now my sql isn't running.. still.

I used this one.. cfsqltype="CF_SQL_LONGVARCHAR"

and varchar both give me this error:

[Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][ODBC Socket][Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]Numeric value out of range (null)   The error occurred in C:\Websites\187914kg3\accManage\signUp.cfm: line 230
Called from C:\Websites\187914kg3\accManage\signUp.cfm: line 230

228 :         <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="CF_SQL_INTEGER" value="#form.securitCode#">,
229 :         <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="CF_SQL_INTEGER" value="#form.creditExpM#">,
230 :         <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar" value="#FORM.creditExpY#">)
231 : </cfquery>
232 : 

is there a better way to write a cfselect loop like this? maybe the database doesn't like it? I dumped the whole form as well, and it is passing everything the way I need it too. So what's the problem? I don't get it for something this simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation