• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple Question: how to export a SWF?

Contributor ,
Jul 08, 2010 Jul 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i'm quite new to Flex and Flash Builder (have over ten years of Flash experience tho), am on a fast track to learning, and I'm generally unclear about the way to use FB to publish projects (in Flash it is very straight forward).

I'm working on my first FB project for a client, and the situation is a bit unique: I've created a new project, yet, there is no need for the MXML file in this situation, as we have a server side application that utilizes just the product SWF in a much larger remote Flex framework.  So, when I make updates to the local project, I just want to export a new SWF from compiling the ActionScript class files I have created, and then upload the SWF to the remote server for testing.

Yet,when I attempt to simply run the project locally (to export a new SWF), I get errors that I assume are due to the inappropriate use of the MXML file (which is generally blank), and it is not relevant the rest of the ActionScript files (and I do not need it to be).

I have examples of other related projects that have no MXML file at all, so when I tried removing the MXML file, I get an error that simply says: "The file cannot be launched".  And in fact, when I moved the MXML file back, I now get the same error.  It's really hard to know what's going on here.

I thought of setting the primary AS file as the "Default Application", yet the menu option for that is not allowing me to (greyed out).

Can anyone help me understand what to do here? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 16, 2010 Jul 16, 2010

When Project -> Build Automatically is on, every time you make a change to a file that is in some way used by your main Application AS file, the output SWF will get built in the bin-debug folder.

When you do Project -> Export Release, a release quality version of the SWF will be generated in the bin-release folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Jul 08, 2010 Jul 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I need to re-create the project as an "ActionScript Project"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're not going to use any of the Flex components, I'd definitely just do Flash or use the FB IDE to create the Flash project. If you're using Flash CS5, you can specify that FB be the default class editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may very well use some Flex components, and the client code framework I am working with requires the use of Flex or FlashBuilder.

what i'm not understanding : is how to simply publish a SWF with a FB project without using the MXML file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create an ActionScript project, then you should be fine and won't need to have an MXML file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, yes, I created an ActionScipt project.  Yet, I'm still wondering how I have the project produce a new product SWF?  When I either run or debug the project, it will show me the results running in a browser, yet the SWF file does not appear to be updated (if I look at the publication time of the file, it is still showing the time that the project was created, not the time that i just ran the project).  What is up with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2010 Jul 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Project -> Build Automatically is on, every time you make a change to a file that is in some way used by your main Application AS file, the output SWF will get built in the bin-debug folder.

When you do Project -> Export Release, a release quality version of the SWF will be generated in the bin-release folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 16, 2010 Jul 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines