• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eye-dropper Color Picker not working

Engaged ,
Jun 26, 2010 Jun 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the PPro CS5 effects I've tried that use the Eye-dropper for color-picking (UltraKey, Color Key, Color Corrector, etc.) seem to work properly. When I click on the eyedropper, the cursor changes to the eye-dropper pointer, but when I drag this pointer over any part of the screen, the swatch in the effects controls seems to vary between different shades of gray - not the color that is under the pointer. Likewise, when I click over a color, only the shade of gray is picked.

Clicking on the swatch in the effect controls to bring up the graphic color picker works just fine. Furthermore, in After Effects CS5 and Photoshop CS5, all of the color eye-droppers I have tried work just fine. Seems to be isolated to Premiere Pro CS5. Never had this problem with CS4. Any ideas?

PPro 5.0.1

Max OSX 10.6.4

2 x 2.66 Dual Core

13GB RAM

ATI Radeon X1900

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you are holding the CTRL which makes the picker sample more pixels at a time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you are holding the CTRL which makes the picker sample more pixels at a time?

Nope. Problem remains. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never knew that and have never read that anywhere.   A real gem of a tip.  (Nice)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

shooternz wrote:

Never knew that and have never read that anywhere.   A real gem of a tip.  (Nice)

The eyedropper samples an area of 5 x 5 pixels when holding CTRL.

I had a hard time finding it in the Help: page 286

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann

-----------------

The eyedropper samples an area of 5 x 5 pixels when holding CTRL.

I had a hard time finding it in the Help: page 286

----------------

Otherwise it is 3x3 ?

Rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2010 Jun 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that is Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this problem occur for you when running Mac OSX v10.6.3?

We're currently seeing lots of little hints of problems that seem to implicate Mac OSX v10.6.4, and I'm wondering if this is another one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd,

This problem is not related 10.6.4. I observed it under Leopard (whatever the latest version was), so I upgraded a few weeks ago to Snow Leopard (10.6.3) and then last week to 10.6.4. Please let me know if there is any other info I can provide. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You have the upgrade kit for the graphics card ?

I did some searching on google...got some stuff might help...

People were having trouble with graphics card and this came from a thread about that...

---------

UPDATE Douglas tells me that a temporary solution seems to be to hit “Detect Displays” in the Displays System Preference. Sparklies go away. But when they come back, you have to do it again. I tried it, and it seems to work!

UPDATE, POSSIBLE FIX On October 16, 2007, Apple issued a firmware update for the ATI X1900 XT that seems to have fixed the problem for me. I WAS WRONG. I’m still seeing sparkles in Aperture, but only when I am paging through images in the Viewer. The “dancing” sparkles in gray areas are gone.

--------

Another thing I found was about the graphics card going bad over time...and this is a thread from mac pro users about that

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1865318&tstart=120&start=15

Might be worth checking out the card ??

Rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

It seems reasonable to suspect the video card. I did the firmware update a while back after experiencing some problems with another graphics program. I just tried the Detect Displays - no effect.

My AppleCare is valid until August, so I think I'll take it in to the Apple store. Not sure they'll be willing to swap out the card based on the fact that the Adobe color picker doesn't work.

I'd love to buy one of the CUDA-enabled cards, but my firmware doesn't support it.

Thanks for the help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

One of those guys in the thread had his card replaced twice ...in a short time..and the apple store people were cool about it..

They apparently have a program they run to stress out the card ... test it....but that didn't show the problem this guy was having...so they told him to play the game that was giving him probs...and after 5 min the prob showed up and presto, they just replaced the card.

If you show them what's happening with the color picker they might know what mode the display is in at that point and why its not picking up the color off the display...  weird....

Good luck !

Rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into a similar problem while doing the Color Key Lesson in CS4 Classroom in a Book Lesson 16 which requires using 3 color key effects to remove all the green.  The first 2 effects work as expected and remove most of the green but on the third one the eyedropper will not sample the colors correctly, it looks like it only sees the background colors and not the green screen shot.  I went back to CS4 and it works fine.  I have also changed video cards and had the same problem with both.  Same problem with both OS X 10.6.3 and 10.6.4

MAC PRO 8 core 12GB

OSX 10.6.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 27, 2010 Jun 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd,

Bug reported submitted. I also have an appointment at the Apple Store on Thursday to see if they might find something wrong with the graphics card. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Bill, we got your bug report.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeremy,

Some additional info on this problem - perhaps you could append it to the bug report:

The problem is NOT that the eyedropper is reading the wrong color. It is that Premiere Pro is acquiring the color from the wrong screen position. With the eyedropper cursor positioned on a spot in the upper third of the screen, the sample swatch is displaying the color of a spot in the lower third of the display. For example, if I am using UltraKey/Key Color, when I move the eyedropper cursor around the Program panel, the swatch in the Effects Controls is displaying colors from the corresponding horizontal position down in the Timeline. Easy to reproduce now that I understand what is happening.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long-story -> short:

Apple replaced ATI card with an NVIDIA card. Problem disappeared. Can't say if my ATI card was defective or if there is an incompatibility somewhere in the card or driver, but I would say that the problem is not with Premiere Pro. It may be telling that Apple no longer stocks the ATI card as a service part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that you got it sorted!

This seems to be a bad year for both nVidia and ATI, with their drivers. While it could have been a bad card, I'd suspect the driver. First, nVidia users had to manually go in and remove several modules (gamer-only), to get the drivers to work with Adobe products, and then ATI seems to have had a couple of releases, that just did not work with Adobe, and users have to roll-back. My guess is that both are pushing the envelope for the extreme-gamers (their biggest market), and are forgetting that millions of users have Adobe products and actually make a living with them.

Still, good news that the Mac Store replaced your card, and better news is that all is working for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey..!  great news ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help from the great members of this forum. Apple support was also extremely responsive. No finger pointing, just focused on getting my problem fixed. An interesting aside - a problem I reported on PPro CS4 that remains in CS5 with non-functioing garbage masks has also disappeared with the new graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double good!

Glad to hear about the Mac T/S. That is the way that it should be, and too bad that more suppliers do not realize that.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's huge.

I could use some info about that new card.

Taverino wrote:

a problem I reported on PPro CS4 that remains in CS5 with non-functioing garbage masks has also disappeared with the new graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jeremy,

New card is NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 512MB. Please let me know if you need any other info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except that mine is the M version, it's what I have, and love in my Sager laptop.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines