• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merging/Joining/Subtracting Objects

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say I have two circles, and I wanted to make a donut-like shape, subtracting one circle from the other, how would I do this?  Another case:  say I have two paths, both form a semi-circle, and I want to join their paths to create a more complex shape, how do I do this?  I tried using the join tool, but it won't let me join for some reason.  Now I am thinking there might be a way to just combine shapes as whole objects like a boolean union.  Can you do this in illustrator?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at the pathfinder panel.

See Window-menu and see manual on how to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Pathfinder panel is probably the best way to join, divide, etc. most objects, but not necessarily to do the two jobs you cite as examples.

The 'donut' is most easily achieved, after the two circles are aligned as you want, by selecting both and hitting Command-8 (Make Compound). This knocks the center circle out of the larger.

The second, the lines, may resist joining because they are each within their own group. To join line segments, you must select two endpoints of two ungrouped paths (or paths in the same group). So, choose your lines, ungroup them, then try to join them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ignatius did you know you just SAVED MY LIFE?! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was having so much trouble combining a bunch of shapes and when I ungrouped them, the pathfinder worked just as I needed in order to turn them into the same shape. Thank you thank you thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2010 Jul 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To join line segments, you must select two endpoints...

In Illustrator CS5 it is finally (literal decades late) not necessary to tediously select endpoints to join paths at their nearest ends.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines