• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why won't _MY_ published HTML file play?

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2010 Jul 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Captivate Version 3.0.1, Build 589. The project I'm building is stored entirely on my PC's hard drive, and published there too. My OS is Windows XP, Service Pack 3.

The Preview mode works fine, but when I publish the finished project (to my C: drive, as noted), it won't play in my browser (Internet Explorer 7).

Here's the error I get:

Line: 25

Char: 1

Error: ‘document.getElementByld(...)’ is null or not an object

Code: 0

Any suggestions? The customer I'm working with needs the output this week, and I've done other Captivate projects for them in the past with no difficulty. Thanks.

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 12, 2010 Jul 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

take a look at this section

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04.html

how I got to this is right clicking on a the swf within the browser, Settings, goto the Privacy tab then Advance button, from the menu on the left click on Global Security Settings panel

you need to add your local folder that you are publishing to as a local trusted location.

the 1st URL should give you more details.

JAC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but it didn't work. I added my C: drive as a trusted location to Always Allow, but I got the same error as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you publishing direct to the c: or a sub folder.  I believe you must specify the folder you are publishing into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if that still does not work, you could also install a local webserver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I specifically added the subfolder on C:/ where the published files go; still no luck.

This is odd, because previous Captivate projects have played just fine, even on our network drives. And of course, once it's finished, it's going to the customer's own network drive via  ZIP file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh a clue!

Are you by chance zipping the file, then attempting to open the Zip archive and just run the HTML from there? If so, that will likely fail miserably because the zip will only extract the single file to a temporary folder to run it and the associated files won't be found.

If this is what you are doing, you need to first extract ALL the files from the zip. Then run the HTML file!

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

absolutely agree.  when you view a file from a zip file, it only extracts that file into your $temp. if you tried to view the html file it would extract only that file. the html file then would try to find the swf referenced in the sam $temp folder, which it will not find.

if you are trying to view from zip file follow Rick's advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's only for delivery of the finished product. (And I tell them about unzipping and storing the project to a network location.)

This is mid-development, when it's still just located on my own hard drive. I can't play the published file from my C:/folder/ structure. Nothing's been zipped yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update: I suspect some sort of file corruption was going on. Creating new projects worked fine; all of them played from both the C: drive and the customer's network folder.

Also, importing these project slides into a new project under a different name allowed the published file to play too. I'm still not sure what was causing the problem, but at least I can now play the project properly and finish development.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources