• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Loaning a Sony Ereader

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2010 Jul 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My library is beginning a pilot program of loaning out a Sony E-reader (PRS-900).

I'm one of the firsts to try the device, and the first that wanted to load my own content on it.  I've discussed this with the library director, and they're willing to let me be the Guinea pig with this, because if successful, this could become very popular

I've downloaded a book via ADE.  I've connect the E-reader to my computer, and I'm presented with the following:

A mobile device has been detected. To transfer protected items between your Digital Editions library and this device, both the device and the computer must be authorized with the same Adobe ID.This device is currently authorized to *EMAILofLibraryDirector*

To authorize this device with your Adobe ID *MyPersonalAdobeID*, click Authorize Device.

I'm trying to understand the implications of the above statement and the results of clicking Authorize Device.

Ideally, I think the library would envision that each patron that borrows the ereader would activated to they're own ADE account.

I'm not sure how the DRM involved with ADE would react to this, especially with the 5 device limit.  IE, if I click Authorize device, it's obvious that I would now have 1 device counted against me (The sony e-reader).  But would the library director still have the device counting against them?  (A lost activation).

When the device is returned, and the Library Director plugs it into her computer, I'm assuming it'll prompt her to re-authroize.  Would it count it as a second activation, or would it see it as the orignal device, and still be the first activation.  In this scenario, would I now have a Lost Activation?

Ideally, I (borrower) would de-activate it from they're account before returning it, thus avoiding the entire issue.  But this cannot always be counted on, as non-technical people will be borrowing the device, as well as sometimes people just plain forget.

I appreciate any insights that are offered.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim?  Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically there is no good way to do what you want to do.

Deactivation does not increase the activation total, so people being loaned ebook readers will eventually run out of activations and be required to open a support case.

Other ways that wouldn't require deactivation (such as using a Library ID, instead of a personal id), are specifically dissallowed by the various EULAs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Deactivation does not increase the activation total, so people being loaned ebook readers will eventually run out of activations and be required to open a support case.

Jim, do you mean that deactivation does not "Decrease" the activation total?  I would not expect it to increase the total, but I would expect it to decrement the activation total. It's an unfortunate design decision if this is indeed the case.

Otherwise,

Well, that just plain sucks.

The Library ID was going to be my follow-up question, so you kicked my legs right out from me on that one.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I meant increase, but it might read better as "Deactivation does not increase the (total) number of activations you have available - it simply removes the activation information"  but the sense is unfortunately the same for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines