I have to admit, I can't explain why I'm still trying to make Premiere Elements 8 work. I should have given up and moved to another software program by now. I've been on the phone twice with the Customer Service group in India, for over half an hour at a time. Each time they insist they've solved my problem, yet it keeps getting worse. Now, I'm not only having uncontrolled and unexplained system crashes, but hours and hours of work are now corrupted and totally wasted.
Here is a list of the problems I'm having:
1. The primary problem is that Premiere Elements 8 crashes and shuts down in the middle of work with no warning or notice. It happens after about 3-5 minutes of using the software, so I've gotten in the habit of saving my work every time I do anything, no matter how small. Needless to say, you can chart my progress with a sundial. Tedious does not do the process justice.
2. When I save the work, I will get a Project Save Error. It tells me to save to a new location. Of course, it won't let me do that, so I have to exit the program without saving my most recent work. Again, this happens about every 3-5 minutes.
3. Occasionally, when I'm working with a timeline, as I move the cursor up to the menus at the top of the screen, if I am selecting the File or Edit menu, the timeline will scroll left on its own - if I move the cursor off of the Edit or File menu, the scrolling stops.
4. When I am working on a timeline, I will get a "System Memory Running Very Low" warning, along with advice to save immediately and proceed with caution. Of course, when I get that warning, it is already too late, as any attempt to save the work causes the program to crash.
5. Today, we've seen a new thing, and it's completely destroyed two entire projects. When I try to open projects I've previously worked on, large sections of them appear as blood red with the words "Media Offline" in a number of languages. These red sections appear not only on the organizer, but in the timeline as well. It's as if Premiere Elements 8 can't find the media I copied into the timeline even though I've been working on the project for days and have not moved the media from the folder where it always sits.
Saving work after every task - no matter how small - makes doing anything painfully slow and mind-numbingly tedious, but at least it worked - until today. Now, hours and hours of work have been rendered absolutely wasted. I've never encountered a software program with so many fundamental problems. It's almost as if it was created by amateurs. I can honestly say that it does nothing well.
As I said, I've been on the phone twice now with the problem solving group in India, and while they are very nice and courteous, they've done nothing to solve the problems. In fact, the problems have become worse, although I can't say it's because of anything they've done. Both times, they've assured me that they've fixed the problems, and the software works fine while I am on the phone with them - for about 2 or 3 minutes. But then, it works fine for me for the same length of time.
To be honest, I'm not sure why I would call them back. I'll spend an hour clicking on tabs only to be assured that my problems have been solved. Then, 5 minutes later I'm dealing with the same situation - or worse.
I've tried every solution listed on-line for the crashes. I have the 8.01 update, I have the latest video drivers, I've done all of the steps it recommends. Every day that I use the software, it performs worse than the day before.
I'm not sure why I'm writing this - I think I've reached the end of my rope. I doubt these problems can be fixed - maybe I just have a defective copy, who knows. But, I am very close to demanding my money back and saying goodbye to Adobe products for the future.
Thanks for the forum in which to vent.