22 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2010 11:38 AM by Noel Carboni RSS

Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen

igeterrors

I installed my licensed copy of Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended today as part of my install a bunch of software after a reinstall of Windows (due to viruses).  I did a completely fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  I've used Photoshop CS3 Extended for quite a while now so I know what to expect on startup but it was previously installed under Windows XP Professional (32-bit). Figured I would give Windows 7 a chance this time around.

Google searches aren't turning up anything.  When I attempt to start the application, I get a window with the title "Adobe Photoshop CS3" (no "Extended" - I seem to recall the title changes later) and the toolbar appears.  However, no splash screen appears and no Product Activation wizard appears - the application simply freezes on an empty frame and a toolbar.  I've tried running Photoshop as Administrator (right-click, "Run As Administrator"), but nothing changed there.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  I tried upgrading to CS3 10.0.1.  Nothing works.  The application simply freezes before it gets anywhere.

I tried calling Adobe Support since this technically falls under installation issues but their phone support systems are down today.  Go figure.

Edit:  I hooked into Photoshop with the Visual Studio debugger and every single thread is executing some variation of WaitForSingleObject() or WaitForMultipleObjects().  The main thread is "executing" somewhere in AdobeLM_libFNP.dll (at address 09619d81 - if I had debugging symbols for CS3, I could provide a function).  There are nine threads "running" at the point the freeze occurs - but all of them are technically suspended due to the functions they are executing - and one thread is in a suspended state.

• 1. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen
          dec9 Community Member

What type of disk are you trying to install from? Is this the Adobe disk or one you copied the software on? If the software was copied from your infected computer chances are that the software may be infected. Same goes with your other software. Same can happen with external drives too.

If you bought PS CS3 from Adobe as a download you can go to the Adobe website, your account and then re-download the software.

• 2. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen
            igeterrors Community Member

This is the official retail box product disk.  Not some copy.  I did a full reinstall of everything from original, official media - OS, drivers, everything.  The only thing I downloaded and installed was the 10.0.1 update (got that from the Adobe.com website) and I only did that after encountering problems with the official thing.

• 3. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen
              dec9 Community Member

Look in the Windows 7 event viewer.

The problem will be listed in there with more detail. Post the results here so someone can take a look at it.

• 4. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen

Log Name:      Application
                Source:        Application Hang
                Date:          7/17/2010 6:16:25 PM
                Event ID:      1002
                Task Category: (101)
                Level:         Error
                Keywords:      Classic
                User:          N/A
                Description:
                The program Photoshop.exe version 10.0.1.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
                Process ID: d0c
                Start Time: 01cb2616be79e36f
                Termination Time: 2
                Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Photoshop.exe
                Report Id: 06f5fbff-920a-11df-9d69-001fd023417e

Event Xml:
                <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
                  <System>
                    <Provider Name="Application Hang" />
                    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
                    <Level>2</Level>
                    <Task>101</Task>
                    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
                    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-07-18T01:16:25.000000000Z" />
                    <EventRecordID>1615</EventRecordID>
                    <Channel>Application</Channel>
                    <Security />
                  </System>
                  <EventData>
                    <Data>Photoshop.exe</Data>
                    <Data>10.0.1.0</Data>
                    <Data>d0c</Data>
                    <Data>01cb2616be79e36f</Data>
                    <Data>2</Data>
                    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Photoshop.exe</Data>
                    <Data>06f5fbff-920a-11df-9d69-001fd023417e</Data>
                    <Binary>430072006F00730073002D0074006800720065006100640000000000</Binary>
                  </EventData>
                </Event>

And, according to the Event Viewer, the "Binary" data translates to a zero-terminated Unicode string of "Cross-thread".

My Visual Studio analysis was far more informative.  All threads are hung inside of WaitForSingleObject() and WaitForMultipleObjects() calls and the DLL in question appears to be FlexNet-related.  I did forget to mention that I also even manually started the FlexNet service in case, for some strange reason, Photoshop was waiting for it to start.  That also did not work.

(And there is nothing in the Action Center control panel either despite the message saying there might be more information there.)

Edit:  The timestamp above might be a little odd-looking.  I didn't originally see anything in Event Viewer until I clicked the first button to send an Error Report.  Mostly I just skipped that part of killing a process.

• 5. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen
                  dec9 Community Member

Go into MSconfig. Under the startup tab look for Adobe CS3 Service Manager and ensure it is checked. If not check it and reboot. Flexnet will not start resulting in PS CS3 not starting unless Adobe CS3 Service Manager is checked.

• 7. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen
                    dec9 Community Member

I don't have CS3 installed anymore. I googled CS3 with your problem and it mentions Bonjour Service.

In msconfig, Startup is there a Bonjour Service installed and checked?

• 8. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen

Sigh.  Well, that explains how Bonjour got on my system again.  Adobe appears to install it as part of Photoshop CS3 for their super-special version control software called Version Cue that only ships with Creative Suite.  No one uses Version Cue in the first place and people with standalone Photoshop are even less likely to use it.  Adobe:  Don't install crap!

I digress.  Anyway...

Bonjour is installed and started.  However, it isn't listed in Windows services as "Bonjour" but rather a GUID:

##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##

And the description of the service is:

##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##

Basically, the Bonjour install in Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended is partially messed up.  BUT the service itself appears to be functioning.

While the name display string is potentially an issue, it probably isn't related.  Photoshop is waiting on something FLEXnet-related.

• 9. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen

Supposedly Photoshop doesn't need  Bonjour installed to operate as this informationally complete but highly embarrassing Adobe "Support  Report" video shows:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-support-report/renaming-and-removing-the-bonjour-service/

There  are absolutely no redeeming qualities about that video except around  4:55 where the guy randomly yells "Bonjour!"  I laughed through the  whole video because I was envisioning someone in Adobe's marketing  department all excited and hyped up on coffee when they came up with  that guy's job position.  "This is a great idea - let's put someone in  front of a camera to do a 'Support Report'!"  Completely sounds like  something stupid that a marketing department would come up with.  The  only thing to do is point and laugh at how bad it is or cry in shame.   Those videos would make for great 2 a.m. sessions with a large group of  people.  I can envision it now:  Entire night shifts holding up their  left hands, rolling their eyes, and making funny faces in mockery  yelling "Bonjour!"

• 10. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen
                          Noel Carboni Community Member

Wow, 6 minutes of video to tell people how to type one command, reboot a computer, and delete a folder.  And they didn't even bother to make the window wide enough to hold the whole command, so people who might need to be shown that level of training will still get it wrong.

-Noel

• 11. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen

I've opened a case with Adobe Installation Support.  So far they have reviewed this thread and told me to uninstall and then install CS3 Extended (again) under a new Windows Administrator account with all services and startup items disabled.  They also told me to install to C:\Adobe.  I have done all of this and there has been no change.

They told me that in the event there is no change to send them the installation log files.  I have also done this.

I'm awaiting feedback from Adobe on what to do next.

• 13. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen

Yeah, I found that post too during my searches.  However, keep in mind that I don't even get to the splash screen or product activation screen.  It also freezes but does not crash.  I make a very clear distinction between the two events.  A crash would display the WER dialog.  However, the application is in deadlock waiting for something and I suspect that "something" is FLEXnet-related due to what Visual Studio told me when I attached the debugger to the deadlocked process (see the start of this thread).  Hence, an application freeze where all threads are waiting on either each other or some resource that will never become available.

• 14. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen

Well, I'm going in circles with Adobe Support.  Everyone keeps trying the same steps over and over again.  No one wants minidump files or anything actually useful for solving problems like this.  The conversations are going like this:

Support:  Welcome to Adobe Support.  I'll be helping you today.

Me:  Okay.  Here is my open case #...

Support:  Please hold while I review the case.

Me:  Okay.

(A few minutes later)

Support:  I understand that you are having trouble with Photoshop CS3 under Windows 7.  Is this correct?

(By the way, this sentence sends warning bells to me that I'm working either with an idiot or someone following a script.  The title of the forum post - the forum post is linked to from the open case - clearly indicates the nature of the problem.  And, if today's support reps were allowed to use their brains, we could move past this silly step.)

Me:  Yes.

Support:  Have you followed all the previous agent's steps.

Me:  Yes.  Have you reviewed the forum thread?

Support:  Please hold.

(In other words you didn't read the thread.)

Support:  Okay.  I need you to install Advisor.

Advisor is a "little" application that first requires installing Adobe AIR (bleh).  Once working, it uploads the installation logs to Adobe's servers and then returns a unique identifier of numbers and hyphens.  The support rep uses the ID to locate the logs, stares at them, has no clue why the installation succeeded but freezes on launch, and then usually proceeds down paths already traversed (reinstall Photoshop) or just gives up.

Part of the problem is that I'm a busy person.  I can only spend about  30-45 minutes at a time on this problem.  One of the most frustrating things with support systems is there is no way to get the person you were originally talking to back on the phone so you can pick up where you left off instead of starting at square one every single call.  Not everyone can stay on the phone for hours at a time.  Plus, when a task takes a significant amount of time (e.g. reinstalling a major application), neither person wants to be on the phone during that time.  There are better things to do.

I hate to contact a developer directly - their time is valuable.  But this issue is just not possible to resolve through Adobe Support when I spend 90% of my available time on hold and simply bringing the person up to speed.  I see no other way around it.  I've stumped everyone here.  I seem to have stumped Adobe Support.  This issue has wasted almost a week of my time.  I just want to get my computer to working condition again with all the software I use so I can make an image of the box and get back to working on things.  Plan B it is.  Time to contact a developer.

• 15. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen

Superb!  I got a reply today from someone at Adobe who can forward my plea for help on to actual, real developers.  They wanted a couple things first - two log files located at 'C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp' named 'alm.log' and 'amt.log'.  Of note are the last three to four lines of the amt.log file:

2010-07-17 13:13:19 [2408]  /AMT0074144334/
                                  2010-07-17 13:13:19 [2408]  /ALMService0136556144/
                                  2010-07-17 13:13:19 [2408]  /ALMService0064228135/
                                  2010-07-17 13:13:19 [2408]  /AMT0053109662/

After the last line, I only see the next attempt to fire up Photoshop.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  These lines are always identical on my system.

I also sent along a debug minidump (generated with Visual Studio), which may also be helpful.

I'm kind of excited to see if I get a hotfix for this issue.  I've never received a hotfix before.  Sent them out myself but never received one.

• 16. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen
                                    TLL... Community Member

It's pretty obvious by your writing that you know your way around the guts of Windows, so I'm not implying that your doing anything wrong - but - if PS CS3 is your 'main' reason for running this computer, maybe you should go back to XP. I don't know if your Win 7 is an upgrade but if it is, I'd reformat, get a clean install of XP SP3 (let Windows Update do it's thing too) running smoothly, install CS3 (with all its crap too) and make sure that's going good.

And then, Let Windows upgrade itself and CS3 to 7. Worth a shot?

• 17. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen

I applaud your tenacity, I really do.  It's clear you're going to make them make it work.  It's still a supported product after all.

However, one has to wonder whether you've spent more than the several hundred dollars in your time (and maybe phone bills) that it would take to just buy the upgrade to CS5.

-Noel

• 18. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen

Photoshop is just one of quite a few tools I use.  This is not an upgrade version of Windows 7 64-bit.  Full Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  Plus you are talking about upgrading from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS, which probably wouldn't be pretty.  It took me a couple weeks to just get this far.  I plan out my reinstalls very carefully and left Photoshop toward the end.

• 19. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen

It just means I can't do much work on a product I want to work on.  But since there isn't technically a deadline on the product, it doesn't cost me anything other than time.  I've maybe spent $10 on this issue so far.  My time may be valuable but I'm much more curious to see if I can get Adobe developers to find and fix a bug in their product and deliver a hotfix to me.  Plus, if I'm experiencing this issue, I have to wonder how many other people have it as well - so the fix may benefit others - my tenacity, I like that word, will help other people.

My priorities are a little bizarre that way. 

• 21. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen

Problem finally solved!  Someone figured out the problem and pointed me at:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/licensing_download_eula.html

That is a command-line utility that updates the FLEXnet licensing service to the latest and greatest version.  Updating it fixed my problem.  I was finally able to start Photoshop and got the product activation screen.  I was also able to successfully activate the product.

The tool itself is kind of cheesy and is command-line driven, but as long as it works I could care less.  Appears to be written in Python.

• 22. Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - No splash screen

Thanks for following up and letting us know what made it work.  I wasn't even aware of the Licensing Repair Tool.  Notably, per Adobe's page prior to the link you posted, it's for:

• Acrobat 8 and 9
                                              • Creative Suite 3 and 4
                                              • Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements
                                              • Director
                                              • Technical Communication Suite

-Noel