• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to build an app where I have virtual 3x5 cards the user can fill in and move around on screen

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ColdFusion Guru's,

Can you point me in a good direction for this project?

I want to build an app where the user will have a deck of 3 by 5 cards on the screen.

The user will type in some data on each 3x5 card and then drag it to a location on the screen.

The user needs to be able to flip through the deck of cards and lay them out on the screen.

There will be a SQL database bihind it to store the data and position of the cards.

I'm thinking there must be some sort of existing app I can build on.

Is this ColdFusion or Ajax or what.

Thx

Mike

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine the final version of this will be a combination of ColdFusion and alot of JavaScript.

I imagine you'll use CF to handle simple stuff like communicating with your database (getting/saving/etc.), and then utilize a bunch of JavaScript to manage the client-side interactions of drag-n-drop, sorting, positing, etc.

And to minimize annoying page refreshes, I suggest you'll want to use a lot of AJAX to help with continually tracking and saving card positions, content, etc.

I don't really know of anything out there that could provide a base for this specific of a project, but at the very least you'll definitely want to get yourself a good JavaScript library (jQuery, ExtJS, mooTools, etc.) that can help with the drag-n-drop and other client interaction stuff.

Also, you'll definitely want to carefully plot out how all the peices of this need to work together.  Otherwise, you'll end up with a pile of CF/JS/HTML/CSS spaghetti that will be impossible to manage, much less expand upon in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might want to write your front end in flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation