Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 After conversion, added space after conditional tag phrase

Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just installed RoboHelp 8. After converting my 3 projects from RH7 to RH8, the system added spaces in between words of a condtional build phrase. That's great since it's much easier to see the words -- that was an improvement over version 7.

However, it's also adding a space after the conditional build phrases, which is incorrect. It adds a space before a comma, adds a space before a period if the conditional build phrase occurs at the end of the sentence, etc. But it doesn't look like it does this in every case...I'm not sure why it did this, but it only happened after the conversion to 8.

The generated help appears as in the example below. Note the space before the period in the first sentence and the space before the comma in the second sentence. It has done this on quite a few pages.

Customer Definition Detail

This page allows you to add a new customer or to edit an existing customer . If you are adding a customer , you must complete the detail information and then save it.

Tried to upload the example of conditional build phrase, but it's not letting me.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. This would be a lot to manually repair, so I'm hoping someone knows of a way to fix this using a setting.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

We have the same problem.

Our workaround was not to use conditional tags within a sentence, but rather have 2 separate versions of the same sentence and put conditional tags on the entire sentences.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same problem.

Our workaround was not to use conditional tags within a sentence, but rather have 2 separate versions of the same sentence and put conditional tags on the entire sentences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying to the post. Did you notice this only after conversion? Are you saying that even removing the spaces manually doesn't repair this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It looked fine when I put them in and the first CHM looked okay after generating it. But, the next

time I opened the project, I saw the extra spaces in RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem also.  I did a global Find on "<? rh-udv_end ?>space." (of course "space" was just a space) and replaced it with <? rhudv_end ?>.

The problem did nto return for me after I did the FAR.

BTW, I don't use the RH FAR tool anymore.  I use FAR HTML for all of my find/replace tasks nowadays...

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2010 Jul 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify - did this fix the spacing issue when you generated?

Or are you saying you used this method to locate all the examples and then used some other way to fix the extra space problem, such as the work around the other user posted -- using conditional sentences instead of tagging single words within a sentence?

When I first read your post I thought you were saying you used this to find the stuff you needed to repair, but that may not be what you meant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2010 Aug 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are using FAR HTML (a third-party find and replace tool)  to search for extra spaces every time we compile now.  Luckily we don't "publish" more than once every couple of weeks.

It is a pain, but much less of a pain considering the maintenance woes we'd have if we weren't using variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your posts.

After trying everything I could think of the only thing that resolved the issue was replacing any instance of back-to-back conditional text followed by any punctuation with two sentence exactly the same except for the conditional choice.

For example, the original sentence (color indicates conditional build tag):

For customersmembers, this field indicates transaction limits.

would be changed to these two sentences:

For customers, this field indicates transaction limits.

For members, this field indicates transaction limits.

I'll submit this as a RoboHelp 8 bug in the forums (if it hasn't already been submitted).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp